PDA

View Full Version : what rims for my new hubs ?

Fixed
02-14-2011, 05:36 AM
i went in my shed and dug around what do i find ?
a brand new pair of dura ace track hubs .
so what rims would you use if you were building a new fixed gear wheel?
the only thing is my f.g. is spaced at 130 and the hubs 126
is there a way to get around that?

it would work perfect with my merckx corsa as it is 126 if i made it a f.g.
cheers

AngryScientist
02-14-2011, 06:01 AM
are you sure they're spaced at 126, not the traditional track 120 rear spacing?

you can not go wrong with an open pro set of rims, pretty basic by todays standards, but tried, true and reliable, built by a pro with brass nipples, they'll last forever...

Fixed
02-14-2011, 06:19 AM
are you sure they're spaced at 126, not the traditional track 120 rear spacing?

you can not go wrong with an open pro set of rims, pretty basic by todays standards, but tried, true and reliable, built by a pro with brass nipples, they'll last forever...
oops sorry you are right
thanks
i didn't know if i needed a braking surface on both rims maybe just the front but i like o.p.'s too

sjbraun
02-14-2011, 07:25 AM
I believe the axle can be switched to accommodate a 130 rear end.

I've been pretty happy with a wheelset built using Kinlin rims.
http://fairwheelbikes.com/kinlin-xr270-clincher-rim-p-1215.html

I've got wheels using the XR-200 in front and XR-270 in back.

They come in colors if you're looking to add a splash of hipsterism to your fixed gear riding.

oldpotatoe
02-14-2011, 07:42 AM
i went in my shed and dug around what do i find ?
a brand new pair of dura ace track hubs .
so what rims would you use if you were building a new fixed gear wheel?
the only thing is my f.g. is spaced at 130 and the hubs 126
is there a way to get around that?

it would work perfect with my merckx corsa as it is 126 if i made it a f.g.
cheers

If they are true track hubs they will be 120mm spaced but easy to space it to 126..if you need 130, may need a new axle and some spacers(Axle is 10 by 1 dimension, need a 174mm one for 130mm spacing, easy to find, I have them). I would recommend staying away from Mavic OpenPros. For the same $ there are much better rims out there. If 32, use a DT 465. IF 36h, a rim from Velocity(Deep V, Fusion, others). If ya gotta have Mavic, CXP-33...

Fixed
02-14-2011, 07:52 AM
If they are true track hubs they will be 120mm spaced but easy to space it to 126..if you need 130, may need a new axle and some spacers(Axle is 10 by 1 dimension, need a 174mm one for 130mm spacing, easy to find, I have them). I would recommend staying away from Mavic OpenPros. For the same $ there are much better rims out there. If 32, use a DT 465. IF 36h, a rim from Velocity(Deep V, Fusion, others). If ya gotta have Mavic, CXP-33...
how about i send them to you and you build me a set would that be alright ?
i 'll let you pick the rims from what you have on hand..
..that would work for a 130 spaced frame
p.m. a price thanks
cheers
thanks again

oldpotatoe
02-14-2011, 07:55 AM
how about i send them to you and you build me a set would that be alright ?
i 'll let you pick the rims from what you have on hand..
..that would work for a 130 spaced frame
p.m. a price thanks
cheers
thanks again

Be happy to. I'll OVH the hubs, install the axle, etc.

Vecchio's
1833 Pearl St
Boulder, CO

AngryScientist
02-14-2011, 08:03 AM

Peter - you may have gone over this in the past, but could you elaborate on why you advise against the OP's? (not doubting you, just wondering)

Fixed
02-14-2011, 08:40 AM
Be happy to. I'll OVH the hubs, install the axle, etc.

Vecchio's
1833 Pearl St
Boulder, CO
drop them in the mail tuesday
thanks

oldpotatoe
02-14-2011, 12:30 PM
Peter - you may have gone over this in the past, but could you elaborate on why you advise against the OP's? (not doubting you, just wondering)

Biggest issue is noisy wedge. The use an internal wedge to hold the rim together when welding and the dam thing gets loose and rattles on LOTZ of rims. Mavic has known about this for what, 15 years and refuses to fix the problem. PLUS many have noisy eyelets. Wheel comes in with noise, lindseed oil between nipp and eyelet makes it go away. If built properly eyelets don't pull out, rim doesn't crack but the noise issue and Mavic's 'wheel' philosophy makes them my (distant) 3rd choice.

DT in my view is far superior for the same $. Only problem with DT is their lack of 36h rims. But for 32.....DT 465, 415, 450, 585..great rims.

yodelinpol
02-14-2011, 12:38 PM
Biggest issue is noisy wedge. The use an internal wedge to hold the rim together when welding and the dam thing gets loose and rattles on LOTZ of rims. Mavic has known about this for what, 15 years and refuses to fix the problem. PLUS many have noisy eyelets. Wheel comes in with noise, lindseed oil between nipp and eyelet makes it go away. If built properly eyelets don't pull out, rim doesn't crack but the noise issue and Mavic's 'wheel' philosophy makes them my (distant) 3rd choice.

DT in my view is far superior for the same $. Only problem with DT is their lack of 36h rims. But for 32.....DT 465, 415, 450, 585..great rims.

I had this rattle in an OP rim.

AngryScientist
02-14-2011, 02:52 PM

thanks for the explanation. i will keep this in mind for future reference. :beer:

Kirk Pacenti
02-14-2011, 02:59 PM
Velocity A23's are pretty nice.