PDA

View Full Version : Neuvations or Nimble?

CNY rider
05-22-2005, 09:03 AM
Wondering if folks here have updates or advice on experience with either Nimble wheels or Neuvations?

I'm going to take the current wheels from my Legend (Ultegra/OP's) and "donate" them to the Lyon I am building up as a commuter bike. I'm looking for a new set, somewhat of an upgrade for the Legend.

For background, I ride about 2500 miles a year, lots of climbing. Not a racer, not that worried about having an aero shape. Intersted in spending up to $500 or so,, although the Neuvations are on sale now for considerably less and I'd be perfectly happy to save that $.

Other option also would seem to be customs from odds and endos. Any sage words of advice?

dirtdigger88
05-22-2005, 09:19 AM
It seems like you are not comparing apples to apples (though you do not say which Nimble wheelset you are looking at) the neuvations look to be a mid prices pre built wheel- Lets call it an Ultegra (maybe 105 grade) wheel- the Nimbles seem to be prety high end- I am not sure you will be able to stay under your $500 mark- I honestly dont know that you will find a better ride than the open pros- look at some hand builts- Mike Garcia seems to do nice work- I do have a set of wheels built on DT rims that I like a bunch (not form O&E) but I have just gotten a set of DA10 on Open Pro that for me is just perfect- I also just got DA10 on Reflex rims if you tending towards that tubular route-

To sum it up- buy handbuilts

Jason

Wayne77
05-22-2005, 10:32 AM
I'll second what Jason said on the handbuilts. I haven't ridden them yet, but I just received a pairt of DT RR1.1 built wheels from Mike Garcia at Oddsandendos. He is great to work with. He can build a set of DT RR1.1 laced to Speedcific hubs (not chi-chi like some other hubs, but VERY nice bearings) for $350. They came in at 1510 grams for the set and look great. If you want to go for a different look than the standard black wheels, add some chrome bling factor to your ride with the silver spokes, grey rims and silver hubs.

Or you can try a set of Speedreams, (I think it's a Velocity rim with White Ind hubs) though it might push the $500 limit slightly.

BarryG
05-22-2005, 11:33 AM
I'm going to take the current wheels from my Legend (Ultegra/OP's) and "donate" them to the Lyon
Seems like those are better wheels than the Neuvations???

shinomaster
05-22-2005, 12:00 PM
anyone try xero xr1 light wheels?

Climb01742
05-22-2005, 02:09 PM
i have a set of nimble spiders and i'm very happy with them. very smooth and light enuf to climb really well. interesting aside: both jeremy of alchemy and mike garcia chose nimble spider rims to build light yet durable climbing wheels for me. that seems like a very good endorsement of nimble products. plus, folks at nimble are very nice and build wheels quickly.

jartzt
05-22-2005, 05:37 PM
I've had a set of Nimble Spiders for three seasons. They are crazy lite and never out of true. Nimble service is great as well -- I had one wheel damaged in a finishing spring crash and they rebuilt the wheel from the hub up for $90 bucks over night (awesome -- new spokes, new rim, overhaul hub, rebuild wheel). My advantage is living in Austin so no shipping but I can't recommend David and team at Nimble enough. They will make sure you are satisfied.

CNY rider
05-22-2005, 07:17 PM
Barry G, what makes you say that? I find it hard to judge the two against each other (but then again, that's why I am asking) :rolleyes:

Climb are you saying you have a full set of wheels from Nimble plus a set from Mike Garcia, using the Spider rims? What hubs did he choose to use, and what was the rest of the build?

dirtdigger88
05-22-2005, 08:58 PM
Barry G, what makes you say that? I find it hard to judge the two against each other (but then again, that's why I am asking) :rolleyes:

Climb are you saying you have a full set of wheels from Nimble plus a set from Mike Garcia, using the Spider rims? What hubs did he choose to use, and what was the rest of the build?

you are getting a mid priced hub on these wheels- I promise you match that hub to an ultegra- and the ultegra wins hands down. these wheels come in at around 1850g- you are probably in the same range with your ultegra/open pros- Ride quality is up to you and what you want- personally I would chose the op's over the pre- builts

Jason

Climb01742
05-23-2005, 03:48 AM

yes. a set from nimble. a set from jeremy. and a set (soon) from mike. jeremy used a tune rear hub and american classic front. haven't gotten wheels from mike yet, and i forgot to write down what we decided on. brain fart.

BarryG
05-23-2005, 08:02 AM
Barry G, what makes you say that? I find it hard to judge the two against each other
It's already been said, but it's apples and oranges. Neuvations are a step down (or sideways, at best) for you, not a step up.

Nimbles, Speeddreams (Dave Thomas), and O & E (Mike Garcia) seem consensus picks.

In terms of soliciting advice, you might mention your weight, since it's an impt factor in wheel selection.

If you're fairly light, you could add Amer Classic 350's into the field, but avoid gray market (e-Bay).

Best bang for the buck - probably Mike Garcia.

Too Tall
05-23-2005, 08:13 AM
I'm a guy who likes to have a quiver of wheels and fewer bikes. Just love an ability to pull out a set of wheels to suit my mood / needs.

Nimble is all about customer service. David will literally track you down from his cell phone while driving in traffic to make sure you get the right product.

CNY rider
05-23-2005, 08:24 AM
I forget to mention, I'm no Clydesdale at a hulking 5 ft 6, 147 pounds.

Frustration
05-23-2005, 10:41 PM
Roll with the Nimbles... The neuvations are pretty economical, but the hub internals and build quality are pretty "get what you pay for". They are also a bit heavy given your size...

davids
05-24-2005, 11:33 AM
yes. a set from nimble. a set from jeremy. and a set (soon) from mike. jeremy used a tune rear hub and american classic front. haven't gotten wheels from mike yet, and i forgot to write down what we decided on. brain fart.
Climb,
Do I have this right - 3 wheelsets, all with the same Nimble rims, but with different hubs? Please, I want to know more:

Different hubs and spokes? Different spoke counts?
What hubs does Nimble set use (I can tell what they're not, but not what they are!)?
Can you tell the difference between the Nimble and Jeremy builds?

Nimble rims sound right up my alley - Low profile and light! I'm planning on buying a set of wheels next month, and your imput is (as always!) greatly appreciated.