PDA

View Full Version : Titanium reacting with other metals

Ranger Pride
02-14-2011, 04:18 AM
I have read several threads on the need for frame prep/anti-seize (I chose Finish Line) for all threads on a titanium bike. My question is do I also need to make sure to put some anywhere metal touches the titanium? As an example : the inside of the seatpost collar or where the rear brake bolt slides through the frame.

Dekonick
02-14-2011, 05:32 AM
I have read several threads on the need for frame prep/anti-seize (I chose Finish Line) for all threads on a titanium bike. My question is do I also need to make sure to put some anywhere metal touches the titanium? As an example : the inside of the seatpost collar or where the rear brake bolt slides through the frame.

I am going to assume it is threaded... anything that is threaded should have antisieze. If you are just passing a bolt and have a nut on the other side, then no... but it never hurts...

HenryA
02-14-2011, 10:24 AM
The Titanium is very resistant to corrosion. Its the "other" metal that will show corrosion effects. Some kind of "grease" between the two will help to slow down the effect. The other great reason for some kind of anti-seize is galling of the threads. Good anti-seize handles both.

I regularly dribble a tiny bit of Boeshield on all fasteners and joints on bikes made of any/all materials. No frozen stems, seatposts, BBs -- ever.

John M
02-14-2011, 12:30 PM
Ti frames are expensive. Anti-seize is cheap. I put it everywhere the titanium touches metal that has a tight fit and at least twice/year remove the part (not the headsets though), reapply, and re-install. I don't put it on the brake bridge because that is not a tight fit like a seatpost. Maybe it is overkill, but I'd rather be on the safe side.

biker72
02-14-2011, 03:44 PM
Titanium is very corrosion resistant. That said.....

At the bike shop where I work, the bike builders grease anything that they install that is threaded.

Carbon seatposts and handlebars require s special grip paste that prevents corrosion and makes the surfaces grip better. Less torque is required to get a good grip on them. Carbon fiber handlebars have been crushed in the past before we started using the special paste.

Any seatpost needs some kind of grease on it. I've lost track of the number of frozen seatposts that have come into the shop. Carbon fiber post in a aluminum frame is the worst.