PDA

View Full Version : Black Spoke Aesthetics

khjr
02-13-2011, 11:15 PM
Hi – I'm building a wheelset for my silver Soma Smoothie ES, and would like to use DT's Supercomp triple butted spokes with some silver rims and hubs that I already have. Components will also likely be silver, as I have a Campy 8 speed triple Group that I’ll also hang on it. Stem and Seatpost could be black or silver, as I don’t have them yet. Problem is that the spokes only come in black.

Lastly, it would be possible to replace the hubs with black if absolutely necessary, although I'm not too crazy about spending the money.

Anyone have any experience with how black spokes on a predominantly silver build looks?

Louis
02-13-2011, 11:29 PM
Anyone have any experience with how black spokes on a predominantly silver build looks?

I think it depends more on you than the hardware. If you're going for a specific look and tend to be anal about stuff, then perhaps it might not work. Otherwise, if you're more easy going on aesthetic I say go for it. However it looks, you'll get used to it after a while. If the thought of it really bugs you, just use some other spokes.

zray67
02-13-2011, 11:58 PM
I thought that silver spokes were the only way to go until by a communication error on my part I had a set of wheels build with black spokes and silver hubs. I like the aesthetic of the wheel set. The only problem is that in the future what color spokes will I select when I have a set of wheels build?

Choices can be a problem. In this case a luxury problem but still a problem.

EricEstlund
02-14-2011, 12:08 AM
It's up to you- odds are they will at least match your tires.

Why Super Comps?

bicycletricycle
02-14-2011, 12:22 AM
black spokes on silver hubs look awful to me. it just looks like a mess to me

Louis
02-14-2011, 12:31 AM
Keep in mind that even black rims can have lots of "silver" if they have machined brake tracks. Lots of mixing and matching going on.

khjr
02-14-2011, 06:16 AM
Why Super Comps?

I'm fat right now, and these wheels will have future use on a light touring bike, so I'll be building front and rear with 36 hole Velocity Synergy rims. With the increased spoke count, I'd like to use a thinner spoke with the hopes that it might save me some weight and relieve some of the rim cracking issues people complain of with the off center rear rims. 15/16/15 (1.8/1.6/1.8) ga spokes are plenty strong enough to support 36 hole rims under any loads, but I'm concerned about the fit of a 15 ga elbow in the 14 ga hub hole - a little loose even with a spoke head washer. The 2.0/1.7/1.8 Supercomps seem to solve that with the 2.0 thickness elbow, and don't have the extremes in diameter between the swaged center and the threaded end like the 2.0/1.5/2.0 Revolution, thus would be a little less prone to windup (and the 15 ga nipple has a little more metal than the 14 ga). Wish they came in silver...

oldpotatoe
02-14-2011, 07:45 AM
Hi – I'm building a wheelset for my silver Soma Smoothie ES, and would like to use DT's Supercomp triple butted spokes with some silver rims and hubs that I already have. Components will also likely be silver, as I have a Campy 8 speed triple Group that I’ll also hang on it. Stem and Seatpost could be black or silver, as I don’t have them yet. Problem is that the spokes only come in black.

Lastly, it would be possible to replace the hubs with black if absolutely necessary, although I'm not too crazy about spending the money.

Or just use DT Comps in silver..

ultraman6970
02-14-2011, 08:04 AM
I used silver on black hubs and rims and doesnt look wrong in my opinion, the oly downside of black spokes is that they fade the color with the years and that stores do not stock them too much so if u need spokes most likelky u risk a "sorry not in that size" answer.

BobbyJones
02-14-2011, 08:05 AM
When i was building my Silver Smoothie ES I was able to find lots of reference pics online. A quick look finds some of the color combos you mention.

Google is your friend, unless you want talk wheel specs. But that's a whole other question.

oldpotatoe
02-14-2011, 12:36 PM
I'm fat right now, and these wheels will have future use on a light touring bike, so I'll be building front and rear with 36 hole Velocity Synergy rims. With the increased spoke count, I'd like to use a thinner spoke with the hopes that it might save me some weight and relieve some of the rim cracking issues people complain of with the off center rear rims. 15/16/15 (1.8/1.6/1.8) ga spokes are plenty strong enough to support 36 hole rims under any loads, but I'm concerned about the fit of a 15 ga elbow in the 14 ga hub hole - a little loose even with a spoke head washer. The 2.0/1.7/1.8 Supercomps seem to solve that with the 2.0 thickness elbow, and don't have the extremes in diameter between the swaged center and the threaded end like the 2.0/1.5/2.0 Revolution, thus would be a little less prone to windup (and the 15 ga nipple has a little more metal than the 14 ga). Wish they came in silver...

Rim cracking issues with offcenter rear rims? First I've heard of that. I have built hundreds of Velocity OC rims w/o any issues.

The weight difference between 72 Supercomps and Comps is hardly measurable.

I called DT and asked. 64 SuperComps are 307 grams, 64 Comps are 318 grams...

I would NOT recommend Revs on a touring wheelset, period. If you use 15/16, use spoke washers..wee brass washers that 'take up some space' on the spoke hole in the flange.

Use prolock nipps also, touring wheelset with a 'large' rider....right?

khjr
02-14-2011, 07:41 PM
Rim cracking issues with offcenter rear rims? First I've heard of that. I have built hundreds of Velocity OC rims w/o any issues.

The weight difference between 72 Supercomps and Comps is hardly measurable.

I would NOT recommend Revs on a touring wheelset, period. If you use 15/16, use spoke washers..wee brass washers that 'take up some space' on the spoke hole in the flange.

Use prolock nipps also, touring wheelset with a 'large' rider....right?

Your remarks regarding the OC rims make me feel a little better about the choice - there are quite a few posts here and on bikelist.org where people complain about their cracking issues. Of course, I have no idea as to whether it's the build or the rider or what.

As far as weights go, the DT website says for 64 spokes: DT competition 14/15/14 = 382g, Supercomp=318g, DT competition 15/16/15 = 311g. So the differences are measurable, but whether or not they're noticeable is arguable.

Question for you - Have you had good success with using the spoke washers to accomodate 15 ga spokes in 14 ga holes? I actually have some left over from when I respoked a trashed wheel for a friend. It definitely looks as though the washer pulls the elbow closer to the flange, but it seems that the elbow is still left unsupported in the hole. Have you gotten good longevity with 15 ga spokes?

Finally, I also have an old container of wheelsmith spoke prep that I've been using for a few years. Would you figure that this gives the same benefits of prolock nipples?

sean
02-14-2011, 07:53 PM
From a completely aesthetic place...

I laced some black open pros with silver sidewalls to silver Record 9sp hubs, black spokes. I thought it came out pretty nice. From a "design" standpoint, the silver in the middle is balanced out by the braking surface.

It goes Silver (hubs), black (spokes and nipples), black rim, Silver (braking surface), black (tires)- Works!

It's very Notan (god, I did learn something from my intro design classes, imagine that).

DRietz
02-14-2011, 08:01 PM
Here's a picture of my Smoothie (the road race, not the ES) for your consideration:

http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/3337/img1254w.jpg

To clarify a few things - the hubs and rims are black, but still, you get an idea. Also, my saddle is no longer clinging on for dear life as I grew an inch, enabling me to move it back a bit.

You'll love your Smoothie. I love mine - 20pounds of racing and training fury! :D

keevon
02-14-2011, 08:32 PM
Black spokes tend to "disappear" when laced to silver hubs and silver rims.

The silver pops, while the black spokes sort of recede, visually.

I would recommend silver nipples, though. Personal experience.

khjr
02-14-2011, 08:37 PM
Here's a picture of my Smoothie (the road race, not the ES) for your consideration:

http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/3337/img1254w.jpg

To clarify a few things - the hubs and rims are black, but still, you get an idea. Also, my saddle is no longer clinging on for dear life as I grew an inch, enabling me to move it back a bit.

You'll love your Smoothie. I love mine - 20pounds of racing and training fury! :D

Nice! What did you wrap the chainstay with?

DRietz
02-14-2011, 11:57 PM
I wrapped the chain stay with a cut inner tube because the gear combination I'm running in combination with the short cage rear derailleur gives me a little chain slap on slight cross-chaining.

Bob Ross
02-15-2011, 07:27 AM
Also, my saddle is no longer clinging on for dear life as I grew an inch, enabling me to move it back a bit.

LOL! Thanks for that clarification!

oldpotatoe
02-15-2011, 08:03 AM
Your remarks regarding the OC rims make me feel a little better about the choice - there are quite a few posts here and on bikelist.org where people complain about their cracking issues. Of course, I have no idea as to whether it's the build or the rider or what.

As far as weights go, the DT website says for 64 spokes: DT competition 14/15/14 = 382g, Supercomp=318g, DT competition 15/16/15 = 311g. So the differences are measurable, but whether or not they're noticeable is arguable.

Question for you - Have you had good success with using the spoke washers to accomodate 15 ga spokes in 14 ga holes? I actually have some left over from when I respoked a trashed wheel for a friend. It definitely looks as though the washer pulls the elbow closer to the flange, but it seems that the elbow is still left unsupported in the hole. Have you gotten good longevity with 15 ga spokes?

Finally, I also have an old container of wheelsmith spoke prep that I've been using for a few years. Would you figure that this gives the same benefits of prolock nipples?

I use spoke washers all the time. Great solution for eu=ither cheap hub with BIG holes, well used hub, rebuilt more than once or when using 15g/16/15 spokes on a normal hub.

I don't use 15/16/16 or straight gauge of any kind(14 or 15g straight). I use Comps, silver and black and Revs for some applications, like some fronts or sometimes left side rear for light(like buck 25 type) riders.

I use Prolock nipps or boiled lindseed oil.

thegunner
02-15-2011, 10:37 AM
I use spoke washers all the time. Great solution for eu=ither cheap hub with BIG holes, well used hub, rebuilt more than once or when using 15g/16/15 spokes on a normal hub.

I don't use 15/16/16 or straight gauge of any kind(14 or 15g straight). I use Comps, silver and black and Revs for some applications, like some fronts or sometimes left side rear for light(like buck 25 type) riders.

I use Prolock nipps or boiled lindseed oil.

just curious peter, are the revs really that... weak? i'm kind of scared now given the weight you listed, since i had a pair of wheels built 24/28 which was revs all around. i weigh a good 20 pounds more than that, and you're saying NDS only!