PDA

View Full Version : Trainers, again

flydhest
02-13-2011, 05:41 PM
So, going over the old threads here on the forum leads one to the conclusion that the Kurt Kinetic and the Cyclops are the two best trainers. Anyone had both and can give specifics for why they prefer one to the other? Lots of the comments on other threads are "I have X and I have never had a problem with it" which is great to hear, but doesn't help with the choice. The Kurt Kinetic is more expensive, especially the "Rock and Roll." I'm trying to advise a buddy who is getting serious about riding. I have a 1up, which is good, but I think could be improved on.

dekindy
02-13-2011, 06:08 PM
Unless you are unhappy with the 1Up it is probably as good as any. I don't believe the Rock n Roll is in production anymore.

thwart
02-13-2011, 06:10 PM
Use what the Cervelo guys do:

http://cdn4.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn.net/2011/02/11/2/garmin_cervelo_girona_2011_228_600.jpg

flydhest
02-13-2011, 06:26 PM
Unless you are unhappy with the 1Up it is probably as good as any. I don't believe the Rock n Roll is in production anymore.

Thanks. I am trying to advise a friend. His first instinct was "I'll just buy what you have" which is fine, but I sorta thought others might be better.

RPS
02-13-2011, 06:38 PM
Use what the Cervelo guys do:

http://cdn4.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn.net/2011/02/11/2/garmin_cervelo_girona_2011_228_600.jpg
Interesting, but does it have enough of a flywheel effect?

After using a stationary bike this winter instead of my Cyclops trainer -- which BTW I've used very little for many years -- I'm more concern about having enough rotating inertia than ever. Doing hill workouts without enough flywheel effect really sucks. I'm not sure how my Cyclops flywheel compares to the stationary's but it "feels" a lot more even thought it's tiny by size alone. I have to admit I haven't taken the time to calculate which of the two "simulates" more inertia.

dekindy
02-13-2011, 07:00 PM
Thanks. I am trying to advise a friend. His first instinct was "I'll just buy what you have" which is fine, but I sorta thought others might be better.

In that case I would recommend the Lemond Revolution that Thwart posted a picture of.

dekindy
02-13-2011, 07:06 PM
Interesting, but does it have enough of a flywheel effect?

After using a stationary bike this winter instead of my Cyclops trainer -- which BTW I've used very little for many years -- I'm more concern about having enough rotating inertia than ever. Doing hill workouts without enough flywheel effect really sucks. I'm not sure how my Cyclops flywheel compares to the stationary's but it "feels" a lot more even thought it's tiny by size alone. I have to admit I haven't taken the time to calculate which of the two "simulates" more inertia.

Users report that it gives them the closest to actual road feel that they have experienced. The convenience certainly cannot be beat.

Fixed
02-13-2011, 07:15 PM
i live in fl so never needed a trainer , but why not just buy a spin bike ? i have seen them used for 300 dollars are they hard to get your road bike fit on ?
cheers

deechee
02-13-2011, 07:40 PM
I've owned a cycleops fluid2, 1upusa, and kurt. (and computrainer briefly)

The cycleops was my first trainer, and it was convenient, but noisier than I thought it should be. It leaked a bit, and the base was not super solid; it slid on the ground a bit.

The 1upsa is a great trainer - really quiet. If you live in apartment and worry about your neighbors, this is the quietest trainer. Period. But setting it up was a pain. Yeah, its machined nicely and folds up flat, but those knobs are painful on your fingers (I put it away everytime) and even with the proper skewer, I never found the base confident. Also, in a way, there are too many options - to lower/raise the wheel, adjust the width - and ... the disc (resistance) unit needs occasional cleaning. (Depends on your mileage.) I know people who rode the similar Blackburn model a LOT and they damaged their resistance units (and no longer sold).

The Kurt is my current trainer, and I use it with my powertap. Its rock solid, easy to adjust the resistance to the tire, and the sides are quick to clamp on and off. It does not creep on the floor. Its quiet at an easy ride pace, but once you get cranking (intervals, @LT or above) it gets noisy. The only consumable I found was the original screw which held the resistance unit got stripped, but Kurt sent me a new one.

So all in all, the Kurt is my favourite. I have not used the new Cycleops, but in my opinion Kurt has the small details which are better and worth it. I've thought about the Rock and Roll, but honestly the original is heavy enough and cumbersome. I can't imagine how much more "in-the-way" the Rock and Roll is. But if you have space, all the more power to you.

maxdog
02-13-2011, 09:03 PM
As far as fluid trainers go, I think the Kurt is the best all around, but I agree with thwart and dekindy. The new Lemond Revolution is a better option. For a little bit more coin, you get a better road simulation and take your rear wheel, tire and cassette out of the equation.

merckx
02-13-2011, 09:13 PM
I've had the rock and roll for two years. It has been flawless. I really like it. I also got the extra disc so that it is really smooth. The other trainer I've had that is excellent are TruTrainer rollers. They feel great. In the past, on ????ty trainers, I've filled a tubular rim with buck shot to increase the inertia. It works really well.

AngryScientist
02-13-2011, 09:19 PM
i've ridden both, i own the newest model cyclops. honestly - it's a wash, they're both excellent with excellent customer support, you really cant go wrong with either. buy whichever is cheaper IMO.

just throwing this out there: since i got a set of rollers, i have barely been on my trainer this winter...

false_Aest
02-13-2011, 09:56 PM
dude.

I vote for the Kurt. Not because its a better trainer than anyone but because my most recent interaction with their customer service went above and beyond what I expected.

Within 12 hours of emailing them they had a replacement resistance unit on its way to me.

There were no questions. I didn't suggest that they give me a new unit. I just asked what I might be doing wrong. When they went through a few suggestions and the problem didnt get better they offered.

That's the ????! Seriously.

Geeeewiz
02-14-2011, 08:43 AM
Kurt Kinetic without hesitation. I have owned a cyclops and a kinetic and you would not believe the difference in ride quality. Go with the Road Machine. They also have a wired and wireless power meter (it is based on mathematics, not strain) but it is a number you can use for training nonetheless. Also, they have a lifetime warranty. Do yourself the favor and go with the kinetic. You won't be disappointed.

oldguy00
02-14-2011, 08:58 AM
I had a rock n roll, didn't really care for it.
I've owned Computrainers in the past, and do quite like them, and they too have top customer service. But $$$.
I've also owned a Tacx Basic in the past which is a mag trainer, and it worked flawlessly for 10 years before i sold it.
If you aren't looking to break the bank, I'd personally go with a Tacx Satori. You can get them from Nashbar for just over $200 at the moment..

Climb01742
02-14-2011, 09:05 AM
had a cyclops. have a kurt. kurt feels much more solid. build quality is great. set-up is easy. as others have said, the harder you push, the louder it gets. fine for my basement, but an apartment dweller might annoy neighbors (or s.o.).

BillG
02-14-2011, 09:08 AM
Computrainer is definitely the best, but $. The Le Mond looks cool, but I've heard they are super loud.

cdn_bacon
02-14-2011, 09:22 AM
I have this one. can be used for both MTB and road has a resistance shifter. suits my needs.
Rim drive so no need to wear out tires.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_eYGPH7FOzes/Stb_mZtO6OI/AAAAAAAAApo/w2Cf_g8kJlk/s320/CIMG1132.JPG

djg
02-14-2011, 11:31 AM
So, I'm not sure if you'd code my relatively recent trainers into both your categories or not. I had a Cycleops fluid trainer that went to a junior team mate a year ago and I still have a K Kinetic trainer, albeit not the rock-n-roll model. The Cycleops was a good number of years old and may be substantially different from the current offering. Both trainers seemed solid in construction and easy enough to fold up to take to a race. Neither was light. I think that the K Kinetic gives me a broader work load. Relative to the older Cycleops, it is easier to adjust for different wheel/tire combinations (e.g., cross tires, 24" road wheels on a junior road bike, etc.) I'd give the bright green Kinetic the nod. You're welcome to come by and check it out -- but I reckon that a more convenient bike shop would make the same offer.

Honestly, I mostly ride outside through the winter. When training indoors I typically prefer my rollers. But for a trainer, I think I prefer the Kinetic.

bpm
02-14-2011, 11:33 AM
I have both the Kurt Kinetic and the Cyclops Fluid II, both about 4 years old. I find them both to be very good. They seem to be about the same in stability (maybe a slight nod to the Kurt). They seem equally easy to mount bikes on and adjust the resistance. A couple of key differences I notice are taht teh that the Kurt seems to be a bit quieter and seems to be a bit smoother feeling (I have the larger flywheel on the Kurt). Normally, I'll use the Kurt but they are both good trainers and I don't think you can really go wrong with either.

flydhest
02-14-2011, 11:37 AM
Thanks to everyone's comments. My buddy has purchased a Kurt Kinetic. He had a visceral reaction to the prospect of taking a wheel off a la Lemond.

I am going to be spending time on my rollers indoors, and will use my 1Up only if I decide to bring the bike upstairs to do a workout. I have the e-Motions, so they are not fun to haul around.

Luckily, here in DC, there is, as djg alluded to, a great deal of scope for riding outside year round.

old_fat_and_slow
02-14-2011, 12:04 PM
Damnnit,

How many time ah gotta tell you boyz, this what U need, ri'cheer.

http://www.ballbike.com/

Nuff said, end 'o story. U heard if from me first. Whatcha waitin' fer, pull out the ol' plastic and order now.

(Yes, you must watch the video, at the link provided above.)