PDA

View Full Version : Injured while riding, not cycling related

Wilkinson4
02-13-2011, 08:59 AM
This has to be up there with dumb stuff or I am getting friggen old. I was out yesterday for a nice 35 mile ride after a week off the bike. The injury?

I sprained my middle finger. Not what you think! I was coming to a rolling stop and a driver did something a little unexpected... I must have had my hand on the hoods and fingers wrapped around the front lever in a weird way at that moment. I had to brake and turn quickly and my middle digit kinda popped. Some immediate pain then just a dull ache.

I wake up this morning and I can barely bend it!!! I guess I could splint it into the proper position for commuting, but my front brake effectiveness could be compromised! This kinda sucks. Not swollen but it does hurt.

I just noticed it is painful to the touch all the way to the knuckle 'base' on the inside of my hand and there is a little bruising. Maybe I dislocated it a bit?

mIKE

John M
02-13-2011, 09:09 AM
That sucks! And why is this not cycling related? You got injured in the course of braking to avoid a bonehead motorist. That is definitely cycling related.

Hope it heals soon.

thwart
02-13-2011, 10:02 AM
Could be a dislocation, or a muscle tear. Bruising usually means you tore (or partially anyway) a muscle or some ligaments. With a ligament injury (they hold the joints together) usually there's swelling around the involved joint... given your description of how it happened, it's possible you tore the muscle/tendon unit that bends the finger.

Ice it off and on, do a little gentle stretching, and if it's not improving over the next couple of days, it would be wise to see your doc to check it out. If you can't bend the finger at all, today's probably the day to go in.

zap
02-13-2011, 10:06 AM
I would see a doc.

It might be nothing more than a sprain or it could be more serious. Why risk long term injury.

Last Wednesday I twisted my foot and as I was driving to the er I was wondering if I was a wuss. X-ray confirmed breaks so wuss or not the healing began sooner than it would have had I not gone.

allegretto
02-13-2011, 11:27 AM
if swollen at the base of the finger, sounds as though you may have avulsed (pulled out) the flexor tendon

do not splint straight unless you want to be giving everyone the finger from now on

keep in a "functional" position, slightly curled as in holding a ball and see a hand surgeon pronto.

hands are very complex and only a good ortho/hand person should be allowed to fix you if you want to get back to normal

Wilkinson4
02-13-2011, 04:16 PM
do not splint straight unless you want to be giving everyone the finger from now on

Hmmm, tempting:) Well, I think it is just sprained. It is sore, and the more I move it the better the mobility. If I don't move it much like last night while sleeping it sure does get stiff. 45 miler today and not too bad while braking.

mIKE