PDA

View Full Version : OT: Powerful commercial, applicable to cycling

avalonracing
02-11-2011, 07:31 PM
This is a great commercial from Taiwan. It makes our Superbowl ads look like a pile of crap.

The message could just as easily be applied to bicycling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au8TwXX8mEI

thwart
02-11-2011, 07:36 PM
Good stuff.

As someone once said 'don't fade away'...

Dekonick
02-11-2011, 07:58 PM

AngryScientist
02-11-2011, 08:07 PM
that was really awesome. thanks. :beer:

bobswire
02-11-2011, 08:46 PM
Excellent! Thanks for heads up.

Nil Else
02-11-2011, 08:47 PM
I like that... though I'm not anywhere near 80 somehow it hits home. A small detail though this is from Taiwan, not Japan.

avalonracing
02-11-2011, 10:31 PM
I like that... though I'm not anywhere near 80 somehow it hits home. A small detail though this is from Taiwan, not Japan.

Good point. Corrected.

Fixed
02-11-2011, 11:49 PM
nice
old ,sick ,and unless became happy, alive and brave ,
cheers

RPS
02-12-2011, 07:21 AM
That's great -- very inspirational -- makes me want to rush out and buy a classic BSA 441 Victor. I wanted one so badly when in school.

dave thompson
02-12-2011, 10:09 AM
That's great -- very inspirational -- makes me want to rush out and buy a classic BSA 441 Victor. I wanted one so badly when in school.
Evil, ankle-breaking, oil-leaking, notoriously-fussy spawn of the devil!

SEABREEZE
02-12-2011, 10:20 AM
Insperational !!!

Ti Designs
02-12-2011, 01:19 PM

It's not about the bike...

When I was young I had a group of friends who would go out and do crazy stuff on zero notice. I remember the time a friend and teammate asked if I wanted to ride out to Bear Mountain that morning - it was 4:00am and it's over 100 miles round trip if we didn't get lost, and we ALWAYS got lost. 15 minutes later I was on my bike. Those friends have all gotten old and stopped doing things like that. I found other, younger friends, but the same thing happened. There are still people like that around, when we all had time conflicts with a spring century a friend convinced a bunch of us to start at 4:00AM - I wasn't much use at work that day...

Ask a young child if they want to do something and you get a quick answer, yes or no. They don't stop to think if they can do it, they deal with those issues later. As an adult and you'll probably get a whole bunch of excuses. Maybe some good excuses, but the default answer is no. So, the older you get the less you do, other than work and tending to responsibilities.

So, I ask again. Any forum members in the Boston area want to ride bikes? Yeh, there's ice out there, big snow banks, cold temps and really bad drivers. I'm still doing over 15 hours/week, and the stuff you see out there is like nothing I've ever seen. I've thought about bringing a camera, but pictures never do it justice.

dookie
02-12-2011, 10:47 PM
3:11 in superbowl time = ~10mil, yes?

old_fat_and_slow
02-13-2011, 09:22 AM
Really Cool !

How do you guys find these gems !

old_fat_and_slow
02-13-2011, 10:03 AM
While we're checkin' out foreign films, may I submit this for your inspiration as well. It's motorcyle related also, but I feel there is a lot of cross-over here as well, particularly for builders and just general garage freaks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGn6Reru5uk

avalonracing
02-13-2011, 10:20 AM
While we're checkin' out foreign films, may I submit this for your inspiration as well. It's motorcyle related also, but I feel there is a lot of cross-over here as well, particularly for builders and just general garage freaks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGn6Reru5uk

There are a lot of little shorts like this one. But this is one of the nicest that I've seen in terms of direction. Very pretty.

RPS
02-13-2011, 12:18 PM
It's not about the bike...

When I was young I had a group of friends who would go out and do crazy stuff on zero notice. I remember the time a friend and teammate asked if I wanted to ride out to Bear Mountain that morning - it was 4:00am and it's over 100 miles round trip if we didn't get lost, and we ALWAYS got lost. 15 minutes later I was on my bike. Those friends have all gotten old and stopped doing things like that. I found other, younger friends, but the same thing happened. There are still people like that around, when we all had time conflicts with a spring century a friend convinced a bunch of us to start at 4:00AM - I wasn't much use at work that day...

Ask a young child if they want to do something and you get a quick answer, yes or no. They don't stop to think if they can do it, they deal with those issues later. As an adult and you'll probably get a whole bunch of excuses. Maybe some good excuses, but the default answer is no. So, the older you get the less you do, other than work and tending to responsibilities.

So, I ask again. Any forum members in the Boston area want to ride bikes? Yeh, there's ice out there, big snow banks, cold temps and really bad drivers. I'm still doing over 15 hours/week, and the stuff you see out there is like nothing I've ever seen. I've thought about bringing a camera, but pictures never do it justice.
You are right, it’s not about the bike -- for me it’s about recapturing a glimpse of our youth. Much like the ad it’s about going back in time. If you never left it behind – as you appear to have done -- then you can’t go back. I can’t go back to cycling because I’ve never left it in the first place – it’s always been part of my life.

A motorcycle is different. I started working at 12 so I could buy one when I got my license at 15. I got the money saved to then have my parents say no way. I had to settle for riding friends’ small bikes like Honda, Yamaha, and a couple of small Harleys. But riding theirs just made me want my own more.

Every so often when I see a thumper on the road it makes me want to rush out and buy one – even if to keep it for just a year or two to get it out of my system. I have the means and no one is stopping me except recalling my parents’ warning that I’d probably kill myself. :crap:

Ti Designs
02-14-2011, 03:07 PM
I don't see it so much about going back in time as much as not accepting the normal limits. Sure they may feel young again, but that's an end result, not what got them to that point. Lots of people say they want to get back in shape (I really have to question if they ever were in shape - the memory of your youth is a strange thing), but doesn't really change their lives. The changing point in that ad was one statement - let's ride motorcycles! It's clearly outside of the normal limits for 80 year olds, and on some level they each had to get past that fact. Just think of the friendly advice of their family or friends, I'll bet none of them thought that was a very good idea.

I deal with this idea that there's a "normal limit" for everything just about every day. Nobody at my workplace understands my need to ride for 4 hours before work (I work at a bike shop, that seems kinda odd to me). At my gym I've been told that I only need to ride the Spin bike for an hour to get a good workout in. When I order the largest steak on the menu ('cause I rode 4 hours that morning) they bring me the "normal" size steak... Imagine if one of those old guys didn't have a bike and went to a dealer to buy one. They would probably try to sell him a scooter chair.