PDA

View Full Version : have you guys seen this ?

Fixed
02-11-2011, 06:35 PM
well i was out of it for a while so you guys have probably seen this http://www.luxewheelworks.com/products/framesets/issimo.php#
they look good to me it is on my list for a future bike
cheers

93legendti
02-11-2011, 07:01 PM
Richard Sachs designs and supplies each individual component of the Issimo frameset.

I wonder who builds the frameset?

Fixed
02-11-2011, 07:11 PM
r.s. doesn't have time maybe he taught flux
cheers

93legendti
02-11-2011, 07:15 PM
r.s. doesn't have time maybe he taught flux
cheers
Maybe...the language seems to say it isn't RS. If it isn't RS, I think Dave Kirk probable uses RS lugs and was cheaper than $3600 last time I looked.

Fixed
02-11-2011, 07:21 PM
d.k. is certainly on my short list
cheers thanks

maunahaole
02-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Poke around on v spot and it is mentioned who does the fab on all of the gaulzetti bikes. THe steel one isnt done by either RS or flux, fwiw. I just dont remember. It isnt a secret, though.

bicycletricycle
02-11-2011, 07:27 PM
Any builder can get those tubes and lugs, I think.

I also wonder who is building it and I also wonder why they would not just put it right on their.
RS designed, built by-

why the secret?

The Ti was serotta, aluminum primus mootry, the carbon looks a mystery to me as well.

frame does look nice, I dont know how i feel about the seat tube cluster.

Fixed
02-11-2011, 07:43 PM
maybe zank ?
cheers

Fixed
02-11-2011, 07:45 PM
unique and clever though
cheers

93legendti
02-11-2011, 07:45 PM
d.k. is certainly on my short list
cheers thanks

If I wanted another lugged bike I'd look at these guys.

DK (Dave Kirk)
TK (Tom Kellogg)
KB (Kelly Bedford)

DK built my JKS Terraplane. TK built my Spectrum Coupled Ti and KB built my CSi.

Fixed
02-11-2011, 07:46 PM

DK (Dave Kirk)
TK (Tom Kellogg)
KB (Kelly Bedford)

DK built my JKS Terraplane. TK built my Spectrum Coupled Ti and KB built my CSi.
wow what collection
all on my list
thanks
cheers

crownjewelwl
02-11-2011, 07:49 PM
Any builder can get those tubes and lugs, I think.

I also wonder who is building it and I also wonder why they would not just put it right on their.
RS designed, built by-

why the secret?

The Ti was serotta, aluminum primus mootry, the carbon looks a mystery to me as well.

carbon bikes are built by crumpton

Chris
02-11-2011, 08:00 PM
I think the guys at Circle A build the steel bike.

Edit: maybe not. They do the paint though. That's where I got my wires crossed I guess.

Fixed
02-11-2011, 08:07 PM
I think the guys at Circle A build the steel bike.

Edit: maybe not. They do the paint though. That's where I got my wires crossed I guess.
thanks a bunch chris
i dig a shop like that
added to my list
cheers

bobswire
02-11-2011, 09:11 PM

DK (Dave Kirk)
TK (Tom Kellogg)
KB (Kelly Bedford)

Totally agree with the above and if things work out this year DK will be hearing from me but having said that the Issimo was an attractive frame.

93legendti
02-11-2011, 09:28 PM
thanks a bunch chris
i dig a shop like that
added to my list
cheers
If I read Circle A's price list right, he charges $1800 for a lugged frameset?

Fixed
02-11-2011, 09:35 PM
If I read Circle A's price list right, he charges $1800 for a lugged frameset?
that is what i thought too
thanks
cheers

mgd
02-11-2011, 09:49 PM
iirc, it was posted somewhere, here, there, everywhere, that circle a was building the lugged gaulzetti frames, as well as doing the painting for the other gaulzetti. i'd buy the al frame in a second, but to me the lugged thing looks weird and not at all graceful or athletic with the extended seat tube, seat lug and double binder combo, atmo.

in the interest of full disclosure, i have a circle a frame and it's wicked sweet.

rounder
I am not sure but thought that Gaulzetti was Jerk from across the hall. The bikes look great.

mgd
I am not sure but thought that Gaulzetti was Jerk from across the hall. The bikes look great.

tis.

Fixed
02-11-2011, 09:54 PM
yes he told me they ride like a mx leader
cheers

also on my list
http://serotta.com/Bikes/Road/CoeurdAcierSE/

bicycletricycle
02-13-2011, 08:10 AM
Brian at circle a has built the steel frames, i am not sure if Brian still is. They do paint the aluminum ones. I have a circle a on order right now. You get a lot for your money from those guys.

zap
02-13-2011, 08:57 AM

DK (Dave Kirk)
TK (Tom Kellogg)
KB (Kelly Bedford)

Great builders and I would add Darrell of Llewellyn.

Lifelover
02-13-2011, 09:09 AM
Brian at circle a has built the steel frames, i am not sure if Brian still is. They do paint the aluminum ones. I have a circle a on order right now. You get a lot for your money from those guys.

Yep.

From his smoked out "the issimo which is a lugged steel bike. it's made by circle a,..."

He is in a tough, tough market. There is so much talk about getting a custom bike because the "builder" add a little soul to the bike. With what the jerk is trying to do you pay more than what you going directly to the builder. I guess the hope is that you get a little of his soul in the design along with the soul of the builder.

With the exception of Hampten it does not seem to be a formula that has worked for many.

ATMO, he should focus on a single material and push that. The "who built it" question would not come up nearly as much.

His and Flux's "we are the masters so shut up and let us tell you what you need" attitude will certainly attract a few clients but it will most likely work against them in the long run.

Fixed
02-13-2011, 03:36 PM
i think i am going to send them my merckx corsa and have them refresh it
i think they do restoration work as well
cheers

93legendti
02-13-2011, 04:40 PM
Great builders and I would add Darrell of Llewellyn.
I agree. I like those 3 I mentioned, 'cuz I have/had stuff they built and I know their work. I hear Darrell builds great bikes.

Zank and Steve Rex are out there as well.

I really like Carl Strong's work, but I am pretty sure he doesn't do lugs.

BumbleBeeDave
02-13-2011, 04:47 PM
No need to go any farther than HERE (http://kbedfordcustoms.com/) . :D

BBD

bicycletricycle
02-14-2011, 12:30 AM
It is a strange kind of thing, the whole pay more to get something that you can just get directly from the builder thing. However, those gaulzetti alu frames do look nice. They had a few in circle A the other day for paint.

Circle A does really great finish work.

Yep.

From his smoked out "the issimo which is a lugged steel bike. it's made by circle a,..."

He is in a tough, tough market. There is so much talk about getting a custom bike because the "builder" add a little soul to the bike. With what the jerk is trying to do you pay more than what you going directly to the builder. I guess the hope is that you get a little of his soul in the design along with the soul of the builder.

With the exception of Hampten it does not seem to be a formula that has worked for many.

ATMO, he should focus on a single material and push that. The "who built it" question would not come up nearly as much.

His and Flux's "we are the masters so shut up and let us tell you what you need" attitude will certainly attract a few clients but it will most likely work against them in the long run.

Lifelover
02-14-2011, 08:34 AM
It is a strange kind of thing, the whole pay more to get something that you can just get directly from the builder thing. However, those gaulzetti alu frames do look nice. They had a few in circle A the other day for paint.

Circle A does really great finish work.

Clearly he is targeting a niche market. With the almost complete lack of custom builders that work with Aluminum, I would think that is where his focus should be. He will however, need to get the price down quite a bit if he wants to sell more than a handful a year.

They are making an exception to the rules and allowing him a booth at NAHBS. Maybe that exposure will help.

BumbleBeeDave
02-14-2011, 08:46 AM
They are making an exception to the rules and allowing him a booth at NAHBS. Maybe that exposure will help.

. . . rule is that? :confused:

BBD

oldguy00
02-14-2011, 08:54 AM
You guys should add Dave Anderson to your lists! Freakin sweet stainless frames:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andersonbikes/4910708006/in/set-72157624642683551/

Lifelover
02-14-2011, 09:05 AM
. . . rule is that? :confused:

BBD

Pick one:

"All of our booth holders have completed at least 50 frames and spent at least two years as a professional builder."

He is not a builder, he has not completed 50 frames

Maybe it is more a matter of changing the rules over the last few years. The website used to state the specific requirements to show.

fiamme red
02-14-2011, 09:36 AM
The average cyclist, who doesn't read this or the other forum, would see a Gaulzetti and think that it must be some obscure Italian builder.

Do you have to be an "athlete" to order a Gaulzetti? :confused:

http://www.luxewheelworks.com/products/framesets/carbonio.php

•28 distinct sizes (selected by Gaulzetti Cicli based upon the individual client athlete)...

•Carbon fiber fork (selected by Gaulzetti Cicli based upon individual client athlete)

e-RICHIE
02-14-2011, 09:43 AM
Pick one:

"All of our booth holders have completed at least 50 frames and spent at least two years as a professional builder."

He is not a builder, he has not completed 50 frames

Maybe it is more a matter of changing the rules over the last few years. The website used to state the specific requirements to show.

2010-11-30 Newsletter #05
http://www.2011.handmadebicycleshow.com/media/newsletter/

ps

arrange disorder

:o :o :o
:o :o :o
:o ;) :D

Climb01742
02-14-2011, 09:58 AM
beneath his 'jerk' personna is a very good dude. maybe cut a brother some slack. he's trying to find his way to build a brand/business. that path, for anyone, always has bumps. spend a few minutes talking or a few hours riding with craig (except when he wears those white shorts) and i think you'd come away a fan.

bicycletricycle
02-14-2011, 06:50 PM
I like the bikes and i am sure that he is a nice guy. I like all of the bikes, they are styled well and seem to be well spec'd with nice geometry/tubing/etc. The prices just seem a little high. I would love to have one of the alloy frames but I would just get a spooky because of pricing. Same with the steel I guess.

It is kind of like the porsche / VW thing. Why get a Cayenne when you can get a Toureg? They are pretty close underneath but branding and a few deluxe details can go a long way.

Lifelover
02-15-2011, 11:12 AM
beneath his 'jerk' personna is a very good dude. maybe cut a brother some slack. he's trying to find his way to build a brand/business. that path, for anyone, always has bumps. spend a few minutes talking or a few hours riding with craig (except when he wears those white shorts) and i think you'd come away a fan.

Hopefully he is not dependant upon praise from this forum to sell bikes. If there is one thing he should have learned from his mentor, after the first few dozen frames, it's all about his personna. That and a good paint job. He seems to be able to pick nice paint jobs even though the photos don't always do them justice.

ATMO, he has little chance of selling very many based on his plan of using no advertising and just word of mouth. However, since this is just a part time endeavor maybe he is ok with just selling a few frames a year.

93legendti
02-15-2011, 11:30 AM
Is anyone really being too tough on Jerk for selling an essentially rebadged/upbadged $1800 Circle A for $3600?

Jerk's input and name add value, but I think the comments have all been fair. No one's questioning his ability or his knowledge.

$3600 for a lugged frameset is a rarefied price point.

K Bedford's lugged frameset is $2950
Dave Kirk's lugged frameset is $2900 (JKS is $3600).

rugbysecondrow
02-15-2011, 11:32 AM
Is anyone really being too tough on Jerk for selling an essentially rebadged/upbadged $1800 Circle A for $3600?

Jerk's input and name add value, but I think the comments have all been fair. No one's questioning his ability or his knowledge.

His username is "Jerk"...that is an invitation...nuff said.

cfox
02-15-2011, 12:51 PM
Hopefully he is not dependant upon praise from this forum to sell bikes. If there is one thing he should have learned from his mentor, after the first few dozen frames, it's all about his personna. That and a good paint job. He seems to be able to pick nice paint jobs even though the photos don't always do them justice.

ATMO, he has little chance of selling very many based on his plan of using no advertising and just word of mouth. However, since this is just a part time endeavor maybe he is ok with just selling a few frames a year.

A Gaulzetti was recently sent to Bill Strickland for an upcoming review in Bicycling magazine. Assuming Strickland likes it, that should be good for a sale or two.

fiamme red
02-15-2011, 01:00 PM
A Gaulzetti was recently sent to Bill Strickland for an upcoming review in Bicycling magazine. Assuming Strickland likes it, that should be good for a sale or two.It's been a long time since Buycycling didn't like a bike. :rolleyes:

Fixed
02-15-2011, 01:08 PM
His username is "Jerk"...that is an invitation...nuff said.
i think it has to do with bike racing .
he is a nice guy though who answered every dumb question i ever asked him.
i wish him well
cheers
i like it when he called ( compact frames ) girls bikes
he is very funny writer and has a keen wit
cheers

Charles M
02-15-2011, 01:35 PM
It is kind of like the porsche / VW thing. Why get a Cayenne when you can get a Toureg? They are pretty close underneath but branding and a few deluxe details can go a long way.

I get the car scenario but would argue that the question is "what would you have to do to a toureg to motivate you to pay cayenne turbo money for a toureg?

The modifications would need to be substantial.

dave thompson
02-15-2011, 01:42 PM

Rebadged/upbadged? Hardly, any more than than Ti Schwinn Paramounts were rebadged Serottas. Craig had bikes built by various builders (including Serotta at one time) to his dimensions, his geometries, his designs and his philosophy regarding how he thinks a bike should be. They're not a rebadged anything.

Craig has spent time in the Euro peloton, he's been there, done that and has the jerseys to prove it. He's incredibly knowledgeable about things bicycles, therefore I'd say he's very well qualified to design racing bikes.

His bikes are worth what people are willing to pay for them.

rpm
02-15-2011, 01:59 PM
You guys should add Dave Anderson to your lists! Freakin sweet stainless frames:

If you like his bikes, I'd get on his list this week. Once he shows up at the show and the world sees how nice his bikes are, his list is going to double.

Tom
02-15-2011, 02:04 PM
Gaulzetti must have been issuing bikes to a team in the area because I went to a race down in Albany and noted how many of them came in on top of cars. I'm not totally sure what field most of them were in, I was trying not to dislocate people's shoulders handing them neutral water and then when my brother's kid's field came around I was trying to dislocate people's shoulders until I could hand him his personal strange concoction.

Fixed
02-15-2011, 02:21 PM
If you like his bikes, I'd get on his list this week. Once he shows up at the show and the world sees how nice his bikes are, his list is going to double.
+1 i hope so
cheers

Joachim
02-15-2011, 03:42 PM

I got on his list end of December...Did I hear fillet brazed 953? :cool:

Ahneida Ride
02-15-2011, 04:23 PM
This is like going to the fed to have it create it's non notes for our shopping
pleasure, ( and pay interest on them to boot )

when instead we could go to ourselves (we the people)
and issue United States Notes.

:crap:

Benjamin
02-15-2011, 05:04 PM
why spec a 1" threadless HS, then spec the demo bike with a shimmed 1 1/8" stem?

Lifelover
02-16-2011, 05:35 AM

That's an amazing bike!

Fixed
02-16-2011, 06:14 AM
That's an amazing bike!
yes beautiful
cheers

benb
02-16-2011, 08:55 AM
I hope he sticks around in Southern NH.. his webpage/marketing is super cryptic but there isn't exactly much "expert" advice & wheelbuilding/wrenching in the area. The wheelbuilding is of interest to me.. I feel like wheels have gotten to the point where I don't really know who I can trust to work on wheels. I was lucky enough to have someone work over my current wheels and they've been absolutely bulletproof, but I'd love to get another set, I know I don't want boutique/low-spoke wheels, and you never seem to know what you're getting if you buy those online or from the LBS. (I'm considering just trying to learn it myself though)

I don't know if there are any real custom dealers in the area either. There was a Serotta dealer, but the shop dropped Serotta. So if he can provide these bikes without someone having to travel to visit the builder that is a valuable service, especially if he is very good at fitting.

I've seen him on the road 2-3x though always the other direction so I have never gotten to say "Hi". The last several times I saw him he was riding a Gaulzetti and they are sharp looking bikes. The bold paint scheme makes them easy to recognize from a distance... which ought to be a good thing when they are being raced.