PDA

View Full Version : one bike for the rest of your stinkin' life

Climb01742
05-21-2005, 11:18 AM
if a genie popped up one day and said...
you can have ANY bike on earth...
but ONE and only one...
for the rest of your stinkin' life (that's just how genies talk)...
what one bike would you ask the genie for?
as with all things genie...
choose carefully.
:p

RichMc
05-21-2005, 11:25 AM
I think I might have it already. At least, that's what I've be told! She doesn't talk as nice as your genie does either. :no: :D

You'd get less wet standing in your shower than going outside here today. Looks like a good day to work on them but not ride them.

Ken Robb
05-21-2005, 11:33 AM
it would have to be adaptable to different types of riding with clearance for fat tires, fendrers, and provisions for at least a rear rack. Gee it sounds like my Rivendell Allrounder, its non-custom equivalent Atlantis, or maybe my Rambouillet. I love my CSi and Legend but they are a bit too racer-oriented to be my only bike forever. The Rivendell designs also will allow more upright riding positions as I get older and stiffer.

Smiley
05-21-2005, 11:46 AM
Ottrott with DKS rear .

dave thompson
05-21-2005, 11:50 AM
Ottrott with DKS rear .
Yep, what he said.

tbushnel
05-21-2005, 12:06 PM
about this very topic since bikes, at least good ones, are so expensive. My wife keeps telling me the next bike IS the last bike I will ever own, and I will likely have to sell my current ride to do it.
I have been impressed with Davidson Frames made in Seattle. Since I like to travel with a bike, I have been thinking of a Davidson titanium road frame with S&S couplers, and I am with Ken on the idea of room for larger tires and perhaps a trunk bag. Of course fender mounts are a must. Biking in the NW is a water sport.
Oh yeh, has to have campy too (I'd settle for chorus... ha ha)
Ted.

:banana: :bike:

dave thompson
05-21-2005, 12:18 PM
.....Biking in the NW is a water sport....... :banana: :bike:
Only on your side of the mountains Ted! Over here we see sunshine most days of the year. Plus we don't have two million people in our backyard trying to occupy the same piece of road at the same time.

Let's see, shall I ride the Centennial Trail or the Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes? Nah, how about the old farm road through the wheat fields? How 'bout the back road into Idaho? Yeah that's it! :D Dang, it's only going to be 65 and sunny today. (I hate it when that happens!)

JohnS
05-21-2005, 12:19 PM
I have it (I think). My Concours is all I need. I'm light and weak, so I don't need a Legend. It's ti so I don't have to worry about corrosion or fatigue (except mine :) ). It has all-aluminum 10sp Chorus so I don't have to worry about cf. My Rolf Sestrieres have 5000mi on them without one trueing. What more do I need? Also, I could never afford another Serotta that was appreciably better.

Frankwurst
05-21-2005, 02:12 PM
I just bought an Atlantis and the more I ride it the more I think this might be it.At least that's what I'm telling the Wife.I'm not so sure she's buying into it though. :beer:

tbushnel
05-21-2005, 02:32 PM
Over here we see sunshine most days of the year.
Sure, rub it in Dave. Maybe I'm on the wrong side of the State?

dave thompson
05-21-2005, 02:45 PM
Sure, rub it in Dave. Maybe I'm on the wrong side of the State?
Yup, you are.

I used to live in the Seattle area. I never got tan, it was rust. I had to have the webs between my fingers and my toes surgically removed. Someone told me that in Seattle a man in a grey suit is in perfect camouflage.

FlaRider
05-21-2005, 03:09 PM
Easy...RichardSachs road bike. Best handling bike I've ever ridden (and I've ridden lots o' bikes).

davep
05-21-2005, 03:20 PM
The question was what bike do you want to ride for the rest of your life, not what bike do you want to wait for for the rest of your life :)

Smiley
05-21-2005, 03:21 PM
Oh heck anything with a DKS bolted onto the rear triangle :banana:

gabbard
05-21-2005, 03:51 PM
First, many/most of you picked road bikes, so I am assuming that you don't ride on trails. For me, it would be a cross bike. It would need rack mounts, clearance for a narrow 29" mountain bike tire (1.9"), but geometry somewhere between mountain and road (typical cross geometry). My Rock Lobster cross frame (aluminum) gives up very little to nothing at all to my road bike, I can race it in the fall, ride mountain bike trails with a judicious choice of a line through the technical sections, and hang with the roadies with slicks.

If I only get one, and I am assuming that this genie is paying, so the material would Ti, no carbon rear end or soft-tail here, non-integrated headset. Hmmm, rear spacing would be 130 probably, but could be 135.

Steve

Ray
05-21-2005, 03:56 PM
Had this discussion on a few other forums. I'd hate to have to make that decision because I like so many different kinds of bikes. But if I had to, it would have to be a custom cyclocross bike similar to, but nicer than, my Poprad. Either really fine lugged steel or ti. The poprad is the best at the most types of riding of any bike I've owned, even though there are better bikes for each specialty. I could do extensive road mileage on it, could tour and commute on it, could ride just about anything I'd want to off-road on it - it's been up for everything I've thrown at it and managed to be fun in every application. I'd have to insist on at least two, and probably three, wheelsets though. One with light wheels and skinny tires, one with slightly stouter wheels and 28-32mm tires, and one with stout wheels and 35-38mm knobbies for off-road.

-Ray

ergott
05-21-2005, 04:01 PM
My current Ottrott (see gallery)

Eric

Dr. Doofus
05-21-2005, 05:35 PM
kirk lugged race bike

(dream bike)

(maybe next year)

Frank
05-21-2005, 07:17 PM
but ONE and only one...
choose carefully.

My favorite riding bike of all time and I think they are absolutely beautiful also. I am keeping the one I have...sold one like it a few years ago and regretted it immediately. Looked for a long time before I found this one last year and built it up (Dave T and Keith A that's for you). It was everything I had remembered the Tommasini ride to be.

Kevin
05-21-2005, 07:21 PM
but ONE and only one...
choose carefully.

If I had a genie I would tell her that I wanted her to create the worlds greatest bicycle for me. Why should I be stuck with what Ben, E-richie or what some other humans were able to make. :bike:

Kevin

mikemets
05-21-2005, 07:35 PM
but ONE and only one...
choose carefully.

My Sernagfee :D

Sandy
05-21-2005, 09:37 PM
Ottrott ST. Perhaps as I get older (yes Kevan, it is possible) maybe a compact crank or a triple. Probably a compact. For now, at least, the double seems to do the job.

Sandy

slowgoing
05-21-2005, 10:05 PM
I still haven't found a bike I like more than my Atlanta. If I knew what a Sachs rode like I might change my mind but until then I think I'd be perfectly happy with the Atlanta.

alienator
05-22-2005, 01:20 AM
Easy. Moots Compact SL.

No Circles
05-22-2005, 05:28 AM
Since my wife has an Ottrot ST (posted a picture a while ago) I thought it would be practical, if I recover financially from hers, to get another one and try to breed them. I figure it would be easier to give away or sell Ottrots than to try to get rid of puppies or kittens-and a lot less mess.

BumbleBeeDave
05-22-2005, 10:59 AM
The one I have--The Queen Bee. Of course, this choice would invalidate the theme of the thread, since with the Queen Bee to ride, my life is not “stinkin’” . . .

BTW, Beautiful Tommasini, Frank!

BBDave

Ahneida Ride
05-22-2005, 11:25 AM
My Bike, Legend Rapid Tour.

Frank. Really nice bike, thanks for the pictures. !!!!

Big Dan
05-22-2005, 11:27 AM
My 92 Serotta Colorado..........sweet as ever..... :banana:

Elefantino
05-22-2005, 05:28 PM
The CSi. So it was decreed. So it shall be done. ;)

vandeda
05-22-2005, 06:25 PM
Hopefully the Vanilla I get this October/November. Won't be the lightest or fastest bike, but since most of my riding is commuting all over town, I would rather have a bike set up as a good commuter than something fast and light. Give me good, stable geometry, comfortable, enough clearance for pannier backs on the back (I occassionally kick the rear pannier bags on my Centurion). The Vanilla I hope to be the all-around bike. Comfortable for long distances, stable geometry, room for fenders and thicker tires, and built to last.

I can't wait :D

Dan

Dekonick
05-22-2005, 07:58 PM
but ONE and only one...
choose carefully.

Mine.

jeffg
05-23-2005, 04:29 AM
light, responsive, and tough enough to bequeath to one of my sons should they decide they want it ... BTW, I love this bike!

William
05-23-2005, 05:33 AM
First, many/most of you picked road bikes, so I am assuming that you don't ride on trails. For me, it would be a cross bike. It would need rack mounts, clearance for a narrow 29" mountain bike tire (1.9"), but geometry somewhere between mountain and road (typical cross geometry). My Rock Lobster cross frame (aluminum) gives up very little to nothing at all to my road bike, I can race it in the fall, ride mountain bike trails with a judicious choice of a line through the technical sections, and hang with the roadies with slicks.

Steve

Likely ditto on the Gabbard.

William :)

Too Tall
05-23-2005, 06:28 AM
Mekalekahimekahineyho

Easy, my Ti Legend.

Marco
05-23-2005, 08:16 AM
...My Ti Legend"

TT: Why?

Ginger
05-23-2005, 08:43 AM
I think I might have it....

My Kirk.

:)

Too Tall
05-23-2005, 08:55 AM
Why the Ti Legend? Great ride qualities infact very much rides like a strong steel bike and Ti is durable for the long haul AND the darn thing is drop dead gorgeous workmanship. I'm remiss to point out one "wish list" item I'd want if this were a genieinthebottle fantasy. I'd add rear brake bridge clearance and chainstay clearance for mild knobbies/real fenders...forks I can change as needed.

When I think about my stable of bikes I've always thought of the Ti Legend as the one I'd never EVER let go.

flydhest
05-23-2005, 10:59 AM
My CSi.

BobC
05-24-2005, 06:07 AM
93 Paramount OS. Candy apple red, smoked with silver decals.

A straight rocket ship.

OldDog
05-24-2005, 10:10 AM
A man walks into a bar with a paper bag. He sits down and places the bag
on the counter. The bartender walks up and asks what’s in the bag.

The man reaches into the bag and pulls out a little man, about one
foot high and sets him on the counter. He reaches back into the bag and
pulls out a small piano, setting it on the counter as well. He reaches
into the bag once again and pulls out a tiny piano bench, which he places
in front of the piano.

The little man sits down at the piano and starts playing a beautiful
piece by Mozart!

”Where on earth did you get that?” says the bartender.

The man responds by reaching into the paper bag. This time he pulls out
a magic lamp. He hands it to the bartender and says: “Here. Rub it.”

So the bartender rubs the lamp, and suddenly there’s a gust of smoke
and a beautiful genie is standing before him.

”I will grant you one wish. Just one wish .. each person is only
allowed one!”

The bartender gets real excited. Without hesitating he says, “I want a
million bucks!”

A few moments later, a duck walks into the bar. It is soon followed by
another duck, then another. Pretty soon, the entire bar is filled with
ducks and they keep coming!

The bartender turns to the man and says, “Y’know, I think your genie’s
a little deaf. I asked for a million bucks, not a million ducks.”

”Tell me about it!!” says the man, “do you really think I asked for a
12 inch pianist?”

Marron
05-24-2005, 10:16 AM
Only on your side of the mountains Ted! Over here we see sunshine most days of the year. Plus we don't have two million people in our backyard trying to occupy the same piece of road at the same time.

Let's see, shall I ride the Centennial Trail or the Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes? Nah, how about the old farm road through the wheat fields? How 'bout the back road into Idaho? Yeah that's it! :D Dang, it's only going to be 65 and sunny today. (I hate it when that happens!)

when every time I've been over to the sunny side of our fair state it's been raining. That would include last Friday, when it was raining way more over there than here on the left side of Washington.

My pick for the desert island/rest of my life bike is a TSX Merckx Corsa Extra. Hasn't been bettered yet and, yes, it is better than an MX-L.

Climb01742
05-24-2005, 10:53 AM
TSX Merckx Corsa Extra. Hasn't been bettered yet and, yes, it is better than an MX-L.

just curious...how is it better? thanks!

Marron
05-24-2005, 12:03 PM
just curious...how is it better? thanks!
Well, I have both and I prefer to ride the TSX because it feels better to me.

The MX-L is an awsome bike, but just a tad stiff for my size, 6'2", 160#. I have always liked bikes with a bit of give and despite the fact that the MX-L is nowhere near as stiff as some aluminum frames it doesn't give much.

On a day when I'm feeling really strong there's nothing like the MX-L. I don't think there's a better frame for steaming along at a brisk pace. The problem is that at age 54, I'm not feeling really strong on as many days as I used to and riding an MX-L under 20 mph seems kind of silly.

Big Dan
05-24-2005, 12:09 PM
I have a Corsa 01 and still searching for a nice 56 MXL to round out the stable..... :banana:

Climb did you try the Corsa yet???

Climb01742
05-24-2005, 12:32 PM
it's built, yes, finally, as a SS (and quite lovely it is) but haven't had the bug to ride a SS lately, as all my riding is focused on training. but i will! i promise!

CalfeeFly
05-24-2005, 01:09 PM
First I think it is super so many of us love our rides enough to pick them. We surely are lucky folks. :banana:

I'll go with my nude Calfee Dragonfly. :bike:

Sandy
05-24-2005, 02:36 PM
Just what is it with you Calfee guys and nudes? Calfee Kevan gave two answers- A nude Calfee Luna or nude pictures of me!! :) :)

Sandy

Kevin
05-24-2005, 07:16 PM
Just what is it with you Calfee guys and nudes? Calfee Kevan gave two answers- A nude Calfee Luna or nude pictures of me!! :) :)

Sandy

Did I hear someone ask for some naked pictures of Sandy? :D

Kevin