PDA

View Full Version : I need cold weather (15 deg), waterproof, windproof shoecovers

bicycletricycle
02-10-2011, 07:19 PM
I am tired of riding in my hiking boots on platforms. I have some teo sport covers that are fleecy on the inside but not water/windproof, I have some vaude shoe covers that are wind/waterproof but not insulated. I want something that will go over regular (non-winter) road shoes with shimano SPDSL cleats and turn them into awesome winter-proof toasty warm winter dynamos.

Any suggestions?

Louis
02-10-2011, 07:23 PM
No way "regular" road shoes would work for me down to 15* F

Dedicated winter shoes are the way to go. Lots of folks seem to like Lake.

Good Luck

bicycletricycle
02-10-2011, 07:28 PM
i was wearing both my teo sport and vaude covers at the same time last weekend at it was working pretty well at about 20 degrees. I was hoping to avoid shoe purchase but maybe it's hopeless.

A.T.&Love
02-10-2011, 07:32 PM
I think weatherproof covers really can only go so far. Double up, triple up on socks. Those little adhesive foot warmer things help too.

merckx
02-10-2011, 07:32 PM
Gore Race Thermo shoe covers, and chemical toe warmers will do the trick.

Dekonick
02-10-2011, 07:35 PM
Winter shoes.

xjoex
02-10-2011, 07:36 PM
I agree with Louis. You could try shoe covers, but you will end up buying winter shoes eventually.

I only say this, because I am pretty sure I bought every single shoe cover available before buying a pair of winter shoes. They really make winter riding so much more enjoyable. I have the Shimano MW02 shoes.

-Joe

nahtnoj
02-10-2011, 07:38 PM
Do you run hot, cold, or somewhere in the middle?

How long do you want to ride for?

I ask these questions because they matter and its silly to answer w/o knowing whether you plan to ride for 1 hour or 4, but really, you are gonna wind up with the Lakes

bicycletricycle
02-10-2011, 07:42 PM
those of you who think that winter shoes are the way to go, Sidi, shimano and lake make them, does any one make them with carbon soles? I like shimano shoes in general, does anybody have experience with these in the cold rain and snow?

nahtnoj
02-10-2011, 07:44 PM
I'd suggest a mountain version with rubber sole for traction.

bicycletricycle
02-10-2011, 07:49 PM
i tend to have medium-cold feet i think. I would like to try to extend my winter road rides to 2 hours plus but i will also be commuting 45 minutes twice a day. I am in Rhode Island and it has been pretty cold his winter so far. I have changed all my bikes to SPDSL's except one which has the platforms. I think i want to stay with the road pedals, especially for longer rides.

markie
02-10-2011, 07:55 PM
carbon soles?

The Lake boots are great, but they weigh a tonne. They are noticeably heavy. It is worth the price for not cold feet. I rode to work today in mine. It was -16F and I just used a De Feet Blaze sock in them....(two pairs of tights helped).

But they are not racy and carbon soles would just not seem to make much sense. YMMV

Bob Loblaw
02-10-2011, 08:03 PM
I'm in CT, it's been quite a winter indeed.

I ride with regular road shoes and Look Keos. I wear a lightweight wool ski sock, and two layers of neoprene OVER the shoes,

these (cut to fit over the shoe and accomodate a cleat):http://www.rei.com/product/729120

and these: http://tinyurl.com/67vntqu

Everyone's different, but that works for me down to single digits. A couple more thoughts on winter feet to chew on.

First off, don't over-sock. A thick sock will restrict bloodflow and make your feet colder, or even give you "foot burn." Unless your shoes are a size or two large and you wear them loose, stick to one, thin, high quality sock layer.

Second thing is, a key way to keep your feet warm is keep your legs warm. I tend to overdress the legs and underdress the upper body, finding a balance point where I feel the cold but am not uncomfortable in order to prevent sweating. Sweat is the great evil of winter riding, and regardless of whatever wonder fabrics you may be wearing, I'm convinced preventing sweat is crucial to staying comfy in cold temps.

BL

salem
02-10-2011, 08:04 PM
One thing to try is a thicker, padded (insulated) insole, like from running shoes. A lot of the heat transfer in cycling shoes comes from the stiff sole materials, that happen to be good thermal conductors. It makes a surprisingly big difference.

nahtnoj
02-10-2011, 08:04 PM
OK, 2 hrs a 15 degrees is nothing to sneeze at but totally doable.

I'd go a size or two larger than your summer shoes, so you have room for a thin summer wool sock under a thicker hiking sock, and plenty of air circulation. Don't cinch them down like summer shoes, you want them loose for air flow.

My Lakes are sized too close to my summer shoes. I can do one thick sock, but could use more air space. I lose my feet after about 2 hours at 25 degrees, which sucks because the rest of my winter gear is good into the low teens. If my feet held out, I think I could do 4-5 hours at 25 degrees. Larger shoes are in the works for next year.

bicycletricycle
02-10-2011, 10:12 PM
One thing to try is a thicker, padded (insulated) insole, like from running shoes. A lot of the heat transfer in cycling shoes comes from the stiff sole materials, that happen to be good thermal conductors. It makes a surprisingly big difference.

that is a good idea.

DRZRM
02-11-2011, 05:43 AM
You can always seem to find the Lake CX Z302 on sale, I got these a few years back when I was in your position, and never looked back. Boa system is excellent for cold weather adjustment with gloves on. Here they are for $159 w/free shipping. Lake CX Z302 (http://brandscycle.com/product/lake-cx-z302-winter-road-shoes-18196.htm)

bicycletricycle
02-11-2011, 06:57 AM
does anyone know how the sizing runs on these compared to SIDI, shimano or specialized?

LesMiner
02-11-2011, 07:36 AM
I find the Lake boot runs a little small. The insulation seems to take up space. My riding buddy and I both have the Lake boot. He too seems to have problems with cold feet. He puts on multiple socks but I think that is counter to keeping warm. Binding up your feet will just increase the chance of being cold. He did resort to a size 50 in the Lake boot, the biggest they make. He would normally be 46 to 47. It does give him space to allow the insulation to do its job. Since the boot is so big it looks like Frankenstien feet!

markie
02-11-2011, 07:44 AM
I wear the same size Lakes and sidis. A lot of people go one size up on the lakes, but they work well for me with regular socks.

veloduffer
02-11-2011, 09:01 AM
Lengthwise, Lakes and Sidis are the same. But I found the Lakes to be a bid wider than the Sidis (good for me) and they do come in wide widths, which you might want if you use multiple socks.

I use the Lake winter shoes with a good set of wool socks. Specialized has a nice set of wool socks that are not too thick and not wafer thin. Of course, there is also Smart Wool and DeFeet.

old fat man
02-11-2011, 11:08 AM
i have the older generation lake winter mtb shoes, with the velcro instead of boa system. it was 13 degrees in boston when i left the house this morning. wearing nice wool socks, my feet were pretty f'in cold after 50 minutes when i arrived at work. the temperature was still below 20 degrees i believe.

i tend to run colder than average (i think) but from now on i'd go with a pair of toe warmers inside these shoes for anything longer than an hour. also, these shoes are not stiff and not well supporting for long training rides. i've had knee issues in the past from doing too much training with a soft shoe so be weary of that and use a good insole if you plan on spending long hours in these.

JMerring
02-11-2011, 11:23 AM
has anyone ever tried a layer of newspaper between shoe and bootie? i'm serious! going to try this tomorrow (26 deg at 7am in atlanta) but would like input if anyone has done so before...

old fat man
02-11-2011, 01:39 PM
has anyone ever tried a layer of newspaper between shoe and bootie? i'm serious! going to try this tomorrow (26 deg at 7am in atlanta) but would like input if anyone has done so before...

i've done the toe covers between the shoe and the bootie. that is my preferred winter solution as long as it is not filthy wet outside.

Tom
02-11-2011, 02:16 PM
I got the Sidi winter shoes opting for them because my conventional bike shoes are Sidis. I like the conventional ones, I am profoundly underwhelmed by the winter shoes. They work fine without covers down to about 38-40 degrees. They require Gore-Tex socks from 32-38 and from there down they require the $20 Performance neoprene booties I already had. In their defense, they are toasty warm from 20 and up with the booties but I have never had the opportunity to try them any colder yet.

I guess I was dreaming that I could just buy winter shoes that didn't require something over them and that closed tightly around my ankles so cold air and water wouldn't just flow right in.

dekindy
02-11-2011, 02:30 PM
Toasty Feet insoles.
Wool sock over a silk liner sock.
Elastic ankle supports. Covering the pressure points helps keep your feet warm.

Hopefully you can get all this in your existing shoe without restricting blood flow. If you do not have enough room in your shoes then the insole would be the top priority.

Shoe covers with fleece under an oversock made from windblock material and a chemical warmer, keeping the warmer exposed to air or it will not be effective. You can get an oversock made by Lou at Foxwear.net or some LBS's have them now.

No matter what you do, including winter specific boots, your feet will get cold after an hour with clipless pedals in the temperature you reference. Your best bet is to go with warm winter boots and platform pedals if you really want to keep your feet warm.

wasfast
02-12-2011, 07:21 AM
All the insulation things (winter shoes, booties, wool socks, newspaper etc) will not keep your feet warm. What exact temperature that is depends on the individual. When the cooling exceeds the heating, temperature drops.

Shimano winter shoes (great shoe BTW) one size larger, Woolie Boolies and booties, I was still cold in the 20's. Consider adding more heat source via heated insoles.