PDA

View Full Version : Tubulars- First Ride

dirtdigger88
05-21-2005, 09:32 AM
Ok- I went out on my first tubular ride this morning- Most will remember that I opted to go with Vittoria Open Corsa tubbies to compare against my Open Corsa clinchers. Both wheel sets are DA10 hubs and DT spokes- Open Pro vs. Reflex rims. I only did an hour and a half easy spin so dont take this as a full blown comparison of clinchers and tubulars- that will come later. No, consider this more a "Bicycling" test on a product- a bit more info than test. ;)

Weight- Total bike weight with clinchers 18.25 lb :)

Total bike weight with tubbies 17.58 lb :D

The reflex rims are quite a bit wider than the open pros- I had to open my brakes up as far as my adjuster would allow. The tubbies are a whole bunch smaller than the clinchers- wow! To start they are 22 vs 23- but their profile is way shorter- overall wheel diameter (measured tread to tread across the hub) is a full 3/4 cm less on the tubbies and it wasnt like the clincher version was tall to start. I actually think the clinchers are a bit rounder over all. - its not that the tire isnt glued on straight- it is that the tread had a slight buldge in it- but I did not feel it in the ride at all. If you spin the clinchers vs the tubbies the clinchers are for sure the winner in the straightness dept. But who is to say straight is the way to go- :p

I rode the tubbies at 115 psi in the rear and 110 in the front (the same as where I ride the clinchers)- there IS a difference in the ride that is for sure. It's subtle- but it is there. I guess if you are one who says there is not a difference in ride quality between 120 tpi tires and 290tpi- you would probably not notice the difference in tubbies over clinchers. Where I really could feel the difference was in semi hard corners- (I say semi because I have not hit a corner hard YET) I did play down town a bit this morning- hitting a few 90 degrees turns in the mid 20 mph ranges- that really brought a smile to my face- the tires just felt more solid under me-
I have decided to basicly run these tires till they die to see how long tubbies will last under my type of riding conditions- (Note to self- this could get to be an expensive experiment- must try to con Sandy out of some money :rolleyes: ) Tomorrow I am going to do laps around the neighborhood park- it is a perfect 1 mile loop (it is actually the course for one of the fastest crits in St Louis) Once I warm up I am going to ride 4 or 5 laps and swap wheels back and forth- try riding with one tub and one clincher- play with pressure a bit more as well- Like I said this isnt a full blown comparison- but by time I am done- you will have a clear answer (as per me) to the age old question. . . Clinchers vs Tubbies- :p

Jason

coylifut
05-21-2005, 09:46 AM
Jason, your observations are quite consistent with my experience. It becomes more of a cost benefit scenerio. It's amazing how far clinchers have come. 20 years ago, your first ride on tubies would have been nirvana compared to the clinchers available.

dirtdigger88
05-21-2005, 10:02 AM
visual aid

Jason

csb
05-21-2005, 10:38 AM
chocolate ruffles!

H.Frank Beshear
05-21-2005, 06:04 PM
Hey Dirt when we get together at your folks we can swap wheels. I have Chorus hubs 14/15 spokes 32 hole 3 cross with a fir rims and vittoria pave 24mm tubies. If they came all black they'd be perfect. :cool: I can tell a huge difference with them in comfort and road feel. Enjoy Frank