PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Specialized Tricross

melonyogloo
02-10-2011, 02:08 PM
I have a chance to purchase a 2009 Specialized Tricross frame at a good price to use as a commuter and do-it-all bike. Anyone has experience with it? Pros and cons? Thanks!

AngryScientist
02-10-2011, 02:16 PM
i have no direct experience, so take this with a grain of salt...

everyone i've heard of with one of these bikes seems to want to change parts out on it or make it into something else. i get the impression that these bikes are a "jack of all trades - master of none". that may be what you're looking for, but before buying i would evaluate what you want to do with the bike, and compare that to what you're getting...

FL_MarkD
02-10-2011, 02:25 PM
I did build up a 2006 Tricross last year as a general do it all and light touring bike. I have some miles on it, but not as many as I would like. My general thoughts are it is a nice ride and the rack mounts and longer chainstays give it a good foundation for light touring.

The 2006 is an all aluminum frame with the carbon fork. I built it up with Ultegra components and Open Pro/Ultegra wheels. I am running 28mm tires and like the softer ride.

I still put most of my miles on my Serotta as it is a joy to ride, but I am planning some overnight rides this spring where the carrying capacity of the Tricross will come in handy.

Mark

Uncle Jam's Army
02-10-2011, 02:42 PM
I bought a 2007 Tricross Expert that I used for commuting to work for a short period of time. It has a nice set of components (ultegra shifters, dura ace rear derailleur, roval wheels) and 32mm tires. It is now relegated to rain bike status with fenders and hardly ever gets used (not much rain in So Cal.).

mcgillicuddy_p
02-10-2011, 02:46 PM
I bought a 2010 Tricross Comp. The main reason for the purchase was to attach a CoPilot Limo child seat to carry my son around with me on rides-my other bikes do not have rack mounts. I also thought it would work well as a commuter, light tourer, and winter trainer. To date it has served me (and my son) well. It is not the bike I reach for when I am alone on a nice day, but I am very happy with it as a utilitarian/bad weather ride.

Clydesdale
02-10-2011, 03:30 PM
and only sold it because I got a steal on an Indy Fab cross bike. I liked it a lot. Not flashy at all but stable and solid. Kind of a work horse and seems like it would be an ideal commuter. I would own another one if a good opportunity ever presented itself.

jlyon
02-10-2011, 06:58 PM
I bought it from Clydesdale and I love it. I especially love the huge carbon fork it can smooth out even the nastiest roads. I have run it with thin tires for faster group rides and currently have 38s on it and although they are heavy to get up to speed they are great on rough roads and give it a very cushy ride on the street.

I have never had a bike that is under 23 lbs once I get my pedals and water bottle cages on it so I really can't compare it to any light wieght speedster. But I am 260lbs and this bike is sturdy and only 1 lb heavier than my legend.

It is very stable handling, steady with no hands but it will not carve a turn like the legend will but again it is great as a commuter. For the price it is hard to beat.

Scott Shire
02-11-2011, 09:06 PM
...I got a steal on an Indy Fab cross bike....

Hey O! :p