PDA

View Full Version : Bad cold = no riding.....

saab2000
05-21-2005, 09:26 AM
I have been active here on the Forum the past few days simply because I am confined to the house with a terrible cold and low fever. I mostly lie and bed and hang out on the internet.

I guess everyone else is out riding on a Saturday morning. It is funny to watch. On the weekends this forum is slow to get moving, but on weekdays it gets going about 0600 or 0700 East Coast time.

I guess that is why my company has blocked all internet access for non-company sites and they are very vigilant about it.

I would be curious about how much "work" time is spent here instead of working. Conversely, I always wondered how much "work time" was taken from companies when people go on "cigarette breaks".......

Hope you guys all have good rides. This cold not only keeps me off the bike, it keeps me grounded too for at least 4 or 5 days. :crap:

rePhil
05-21-2005, 01:45 PM
I rode fairly hard today for the first time in 3 weeks. I have been fighting this virus which is just plain miserable. No energy, stuffy head, cough, low grade that comes and goes. I think it's finally on the way out. I commuted to work a few days and just came home out of gas. Plenty of rest seemed to help the most.Take it easy.

tbushnel
05-21-2005, 11:04 PM
I guess that is why my company has blocked all internet access for non-company sites and they are very vigilant about it.

Fortunately this hasn't happened where I work. Otherwise I might have to take up smoking.
Hope the cold gets better soon so your back in the sky and on the road.
Ted

:beer:

Tom
05-22-2005, 05:32 AM
I ask my boss when he asks why I never get anything done... if that tells you about how I really have to get a lot more disciplined at work.

On the cold front: we've had a cool spring, we had a couple of warm days and everything that had been sitting and waiting said what the hell and took off. I went for a two hour hard ride, sucking big lungfuls of allergens the whole way. I feel like my lungs are full of sand and I gargled with soldering flux. Having a cold is like a seven day prison sentence for me. I hope you get better soon.

Elefantino
05-22-2005, 09:25 AM
Been coughing and hucking brown oysters (sorry, too much information) and running a low-grade fever for three days. This cold, virus, infection, whatever, is a doozy. :crap:

Was supposed to be in Palm Coast today for the A1A Century, but instead am flat on the back, watching Meet the Press and following the Giro on the Internet. (What an interesting stage, by the way. Can't wait for 5 p.m. and OLN.)

Hope you recuperate soon. If you take something that makes you feel better, let me know!

saab2000
05-22-2005, 10:57 AM
There is not much to take when you have a cold. The only thing that provides any relief at all is a nasal spray. That and a lot of sleep so I am unconscious for as much as possible.

The best wisdom I ever heard about colds is this:

If you take something for a cold it will go away in 7 days. If you take nothing it will go away in a week.

mdeeds71
05-22-2005, 11:47 PM
Had something similar down here in IAH...Floored me could not even teach...well made a big...well the ultimate pilot mistake and tried to commute home on a flight...well the eardrum almost went...most pain I have ever been in...(includes all the army pain as well)...Ended up being I now have an alergy to a certain thing in the IAH area....Once in SJC things went away...and now season changing that certain alergy is very uncommon....

Well leason...don't even think of flying till it is ALLLLLL gone...to include the ears....well I am sure you know that...just a friendly pilo to pilo advise...

Get well and ALWAYS use your sick bank....

Mark

slowgoing
05-23-2005, 02:41 AM
Same thing here. Sinus congestion and headache, muscle aches, post nasal drip turning into a sore throat. The pounding headache finally eased off after two days so I can finally think straight again.

saab2000
05-23-2005, 07:02 AM
I always make the same mistake and try to fly too soon after a cold. Not this time.

I am sick that that is that. It sucks, because it is starting to subside and to the average person they wonder why some prima donna pilot cannot work with a little cold? The eardrum issue is the main reason. Some people have serious sinus problems. That is not my issue so much as the ears.

Mark, you are absolutely right. Nobody ever says "thanks" to a pilot who worked sick and then blew and eardrum!

Hard Fit
05-23-2005, 07:56 AM
If I am near someone sick and my nose starts feeling funny, I start with the zinc tablet regimen. I think it helps prevent colds.