PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Sram Crankset with Shimano drivetrain

socalspeedsk8r
02-10-2011, 12:07 PM
I have a new BB30 frameset for the 2011 season and am running Shimano 6700/7900 group on it. I'm currently running a 6750 crankset with the Wheel Mfg adaptors but would like to change to a BB30 crankset. The chainrings on my Ultegra crank are about done with over 15k on them. I have looked at the FSA's but does anyone have any experience mixing a Sram red crank with the newer Shimano drivetrain.

Thanks,

Scott

false_Aest
02-10-2011, 12:23 PM
Can't imagine it'd be a problem yo.

Maybe you'd throw a chain during the TdF or get less crisp shifting.

or maybe you'd get clenbuterol from crispy chicken.

Really shouldn't be a problem if you just stick to the big ring all the time. :P

benb
02-10-2011, 12:24 PM
I have a Rival crankset on my bike with Ultegra everything else.. it works fine.

The SRAM rings do not seem to be as nice as the Shimano ones (flex) and the crankset itself is also not as stiff IMO but it still shifts fine.

I have an FSA compact crank that I also use on rare occasions.. I like it better then SRAM one, it feels considerably stiffer and the rings seem better as well. If it wasn't compact I'd run that one all the time.

The BB30 SRAM stuff might be a bit better.. but even then the older stuff works fine too, it just seems like SRAM always trims weight a bit more then Shimano, and that is not really to my taste.

edit: By working fine I mean it rarely drops the chain. It definitely doesn't seem to shift as flawlessly as a pure Shimano setup..

Jawn P
02-10-2011, 12:33 PM
If you can swing the dough, get a set of Cannondale SISL Hollowgrams. Better than sliced bread.

No problems on my end mixing and matching SRAM cranks with Shimano drivetrains.

oldpotatoe
02-10-2011, 04:20 PM
I have a new BB30 frameset for the 2011 season and am running Shimano 6700/7900 group on it. I'm currently running a 6750 crankset with the Wheel Mfg adaptors but would like to change to a BB30 crankset. The chainrings on my Ultegra crank are about done with over 15k on them. I have looked at the FSA's but does anyone have any experience mixing a Sram red crank with the newer Shimano drivetrain.

Thanks,

Scott

Works fine and dandy..use steel BB bearings(not ceramic), grease inside the BB shell well.