PDA

View Full Version : Fierte or Cannondale R2000 Which one?

vs779
02-03-2004, 04:08 PM
I am new to the rode but have been mountain biking for some time. The question I have is should I go with the steel Serotta with full Ultegra or the stock Cannondale also with full Ultegra? Price wise the Serotta will be about $500 more it is worth the money? Just can't make a decision. How about ride quality of both? HELP!!:confused:

shinomaster
02-03-2004, 04:46 PM
I love my Cannondale as it's super fast, but it's not as smooth as steel. It is lighter however. Everyone has a cannondale though, do you really want to be the next victim of advertizing?
The fierte will not be as light, maybe a pound more heavy but really a pound is nothing. You get more coolness point for having a boutique bike like a serotta. Maybe that is why I bought one. Either way you can not loose...that much.:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Kurt
02-03-2004, 08:29 PM
The Caad 7 - now optimo (hd tt) is a nice riding bike, but only in lets say >56 - I would vote steel for a smaller size. Big diff in weight, if that matters to you, in a 58 a steel frame will be around 4# and the cdale will be a little more than half. I am selling my cdale frame tomorrow because I am getting a new club frame, another cdale, great riding frame if it fits - climbs like a scalded monkey

shinomaster
02-04-2004, 12:29 AM
I was just riding my serotta (to the store) and I think you should get one. You can always get a cannondale frame on e-bay for $400. Big deal..;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

vs779
02-05-2004, 05:44 PM
You guys talked me in to getting the Serotta so I called my dealer and placed the order a few minutes later he called me back and said they would not be avail til late March (just my luck). So I guess its back to Cannondale or Trek for now.

Kevin
02-05-2004, 06:26 PM
Wait for late March, you won't be sorry. I have an Ottrott that I love. I also just ordered a CSi last week. The CSi won't be ready until the begining of April. The rumor is that the paint shop is backed up and that this is what is causing the delays. I also noticed that Serotta is looking to hire some additional painters, which seems to back-up the rumor.

Kevin

Tom
02-05-2004, 06:42 PM
Gaaaa!!!! I've already been through the wait thing once, and now I hear rumors the paint shop is backed up when my ride's up there for a repaint! Great googly moogly, what the hell did I do in that past life? Man, am I going to have to fix the shifters on the old bike just so I can ride outdoors when the roads start coming around in March?

Maybe that's not so bad. It'll give time for the garbage to get washed off the shoulders and keep it off the gleaming new shine.

Kevin
02-05-2004, 07:01 PM
Tom,

This is my third time in the waiting room waiting for the birth of my next child. I have waited for two Ottrotts. The first took 6 weeks. The second took 4 weeks. Now the CSi is expected to take 9 weeks. The waiting does not get easier. It only gets harder.

Kevin

shinomaster
02-05-2004, 08:33 PM
the end of march will be here in two shakes of a lambs tale! So soon it will be..

vs779
02-05-2004, 09:40 PM
Maybe I will call Serotta myself Fri. morn. and see what they can do I would much rather get the Serotta but I need a bike asap I am putting weight on fast and need to train. I just can't see waiting two months for a steel stock geometry bike. I know one thing for sure I will get a bike ordered by Fri. whether it be a Serotta, Trek or Cannondale.

shinomaster
02-05-2004, 09:55 PM
Call around to all the serotta dealers. One is bound to have it in your size, and maybe at a discount who knows.

vaxn8r
02-06-2004, 01:13 AM
What size are you looking for?

vs779
02-06-2004, 08:54 AM
The size I am looking for is a 54 but I am very loyal to my LBS so if he can't get me one I may have to get a Trek or a Cannondale which he has in stock. I am calling Serotta now hope they can do something maybe a ti frame but I hate to spend $2000 on just a frame with stock geometry.

Matt Barkley
02-06-2004, 09:29 AM
If stock geometry fits you and is what you need, then custom is no better, especially if you havn't been riding for years to know what you may want different "custom." Absolutely go with the Fierte.

oracle
02-06-2004, 12:41 PM
perhaps you buy the r2000 (a very good bike in its own right) and ride it for a while, during which time you contemplate the serotta. the caad 7 frame & fork could be easily re-sold once you have the serotta in hand.

oracle

vs779
02-06-2004, 02:34 PM
Thanks for all the help, advice and info. since I just can't wait any longer I am headed to my LBS tonight to pick up a 04 Trek 5200 double. Like oracle said this will give me time to get a custom Serotta and I know the Trek can be re sold later with not too much $ lost (I hope).

oracle
02-06-2004, 02:37 PM
where's the fire?

:beer:
oracle

vs779
02-06-2004, 03:30 PM
I need to train I went from 170#s to 190 this winter at this rate I will be 200 by spring I need to do some indoor training ASAP.

shinomaster
02-06-2004, 08:22 PM
if stock geometry fits you well, then there is nothing better. Most people dont really need custom numbers. To be honest I wish I could have fit a stock serotta rather than getting a custom one, it only makes life more simple.

vaxn8r
02-06-2004, 09:08 PM
Trek OCLV gets a bad rep, I think because they are so generic. But they do everything really well. There's litttle chance you won't love it as long as it fits well. Enjoy it by getting back into shape and seing what it can really do. You'll be pleasantly surprised!

Bruce H.
02-06-2004, 09:48 PM
May I put my 2 cents in please.
Why not ride an indoor spin class or stationary bike to get back into shape and buy the best you can. Impulses always seem to backfire.
Besides why subject your new ride to a "trainer" rather than the road?
Anyway, good luck with whatever your choice may be.
Bruce H.

BumbleBeeDave
02-06-2004, 10:36 PM
. . . I test rode a 5900 when I was shopping and it was a real rocketship. Not very springy like the Ti but very responsive and stiff.

With the semi-custom paint jobs they have available now I would buy one. But those Borg-like hordes running around with those USPS clone paint schemes just aaaaaallll loooook the saaame. . . . ZZZZZZ

BBDave

vs779
02-07-2004, 10:23 AM
You guys are killing me! I went to get the Trek last night and the bike is very cool but just too much Bontrager. But I put it in my van anyway drove home and took another look and again too much USPS and Bontrager so I went back to the dealer and said get me the Serotta ASAP! So I will have to jog instead of ride for a few weeks or just use my mountain bike on the trainer. So I will get the red Fierte with full Ultegra, Thomson, King, Hutchinson, Easton and Mavic.:banana: I will post pics and a ride report in a few weeks. Thanks to all who posted I just needed a push in the meantime I will just look at the web site pics and the catalog.

Kevin
02-07-2004, 12:26 PM
You made the right decision. You will love the Serotta.

Kevin

vs779
02-07-2004, 01:03 PM
My dealer just called me and said "you won't be happy with the news I am about to tell you, we just got the mail and their was a letter from Serotta dropping us as a dealer, stating we do not sell enough frames yearly" My phone call on Fri must have triggered the Serotta sales dept. to check my LBS sales. I knew something was up when Serotta kept telling me to go to some other bike shop that was the biggest dealer around. So now back to square one. I am so upset I feel like ordering a 04 Cannondale R5000 which I can get Tue. or wait to see what other brand they will carry to replace Serotta. I am a loyal patron and won't consider going elsewhere. So bottom line Serotta may be out unless my LBS can salvage the relationship.

vaxn8r
02-08-2004, 01:20 AM
If I were you I would not settle for second choice. Work with your dealer or let him know you're getting a frame from somewhere else and bring it back to him for build up. If he's as loyal to you as you to he it should not be an issue.

BTW, they're all good choices...

shinomaster
02-08-2004, 01:33 AM
Hmmm..............Maybe you should get what you really want. don't let us push you around. You are the one who will own and ride this new bike...If Kahuna likes his new trek it must be good..I would get the Carbon Trek over the Cannondale, for reasons of comfort.