PDA

View Full Version : Used Meivicis

maxdog
02-09-2011, 01:54 PM
Why so many used Meivicis for sale sub $3000? The retail is north of $8000. Are they really being sold new for closer to $6000? Any negatives one should consider?

Pete Serotta
02-09-2011, 02:03 PM
They are not being sold for 3K that I have seen, unless they have had a rough life. THere have been zero problems. The used market price is iffy for it really depends on rush of seller to unload.

The new HSG, I feel keeps the price of used Meivici in a slot on price if seller is in a rush to dump it.

If a person is selling an exact size and handling Meivici frame in excellent condition for you- It is worth more that three and I would say in mid 4000. But that is just my view.

From what I have seen all makes of carbon have a price drop.

I personally know of the price of demo Parlees that were sold after RTR. - _ _ AND the Z5 was an excellent ride, less that 1000 miles with SRAM forces on it.. THe demo at the RTR went for mid 3Ks.

(they were a bargain and I even rode one of them the last two days for the truck we had did battle with my Legend ti and the ti lost.

Price is set by what the seller is willing to let go for and the buyer is willing to buy for. Value is in their minds and not set by any agency. Demand verses supply really sets the value of a sale.

Just my experiences. WInters are also cheaper for a buy than spring,

spartacus
02-09-2011, 02:21 PM
Why so many used Meivicis for sale sub $3000? The retail is north of $8000. Are they really being sold new for closer to $6000? Any negatives one should consider?

Your hunch is probably right. The frames may well be being sold new to those owning/ working in/ connected to/ a very good customer of a Serotta dealership and are therefore not paying the full ticket price. The Meivici is one of the more expensive frames on the market and yet there seems to be a very regular flow of used examples on ebay and at quite tempting prices as you note. Who would pay the full price and then sell it for $2,250 or $2,500 or $3,500? There have been four Meivici framesets on ebay this week at these price points, and there's the ever present complete bike listing at $9,000 (good luck seller). It would surprise me if more than two were purchased at the full SRP.

maxdog
02-09-2011, 02:21 PM
They are not being sold for 3K that I have seen, unless they have had a rough life. THere have been zero problems. The used market price is iffy for it really depends on rush of seller to unload.

The new HSG, I feel keeps the price of used Meivici in a slot on price if seller is in a rush to dump it.

If a person is selling an exact size and handling Meivici frame in excellent condition for you- It is worth more that three and I would say in mid 4000. But that is just my view.

From what I have seen all makes of carbon have a price drop.

I personally know of the price of demo Parlees that were sold after RTR. - _ _ AND the Z5 was an excellent ride, less that 1000 miles with SRAM forces on it.. THe demo at the RTR went for mid 3Ks.

(they were a bargain and I even rode one of them the last two days for the truck we had did battle with my Legend ti and the ti lost.

Price is set by what the seller is willing to let go for and the buyer is willing to buy for. Value is in their minds and not set by any agency. Demand verses supply really sets the value of a sale.

Just my experiences. WInters are also cheaper for a buy than spring,

Thanks for helping me justify my purchase. I would have preferred to buy Carbon new, but I'm pretty sure that would have strained my wife's indulgence.

nahtnoj
02-09-2011, 02:27 PM
I'd propose you are thinking about the price backwards.

Theoretically, a used custom frame (any brand/model) should be worth $0 to anyone who isn't the original owner.

Start at $0 and work up towards retail (add on more and more $$$ the less custom it is) is a more rational approach to value IMO.

SPOKE
02-09-2011, 02:52 PM
I wonder how many of these frame/forks (or complete bikes) offered on eBay or other classifieds are being sold by the original owner they were built for?

maxdog
02-09-2011, 02:57 PM
I wonder how many of these frame/forks (or complete bikes) offered on eBay or other classifieds are being sold by the original owner they were built for?

Good question, but if it's only 2 0r 3 years old, and selling for $2500, somebody's taking a big hit.

Jeff N.
02-09-2011, 03:21 PM
It's hard for me to imagine anyone (unless they've got money to burn!) paying full retail for a Parlee Z1 or Meivici or a Lynskey Level IV, et.al., but obviouly they're out there. Jeff N.

54ny77
02-09-2011, 03:37 PM
everyone's divesting and putting their money into frozen concentrated orange juice.

http://www.wisebread.com/files/fruganomics/wisebread_imce/trading_places1.jpg

troymac
02-09-2011, 03:49 PM
It's hard for me to imagine anyone (unless they've got money to burn!) paying full retail for a Parlee Z1 or Meivici or a Lynskey Level IV, et.al., but obviouly they're out there. Jeff N.

There must be enough of a demand for a new Meivici or Serotta would not offer it. I certainly can't afford it but others sure can.

Bruce K
02-09-2011, 05:15 PM
I'm glad I got mine when I did.

If I had to empty my stable the final choice of getting down to one raod bike would be torturous between my Meivici and my Bedford. Two completely different bikes purchased for two completely different reasons and I will probably NEVER part with either one of them.

BK

Pegoready
02-09-2011, 06:40 PM
I highly doubt Serotta dealers are selling Meivici's for less than retail. Why would they? You don't have to pay for them until they're ordered, unless it's a floor demo.

I think the people buying Meivici's can afford to take a loss and not think much of it.

Ken Robb
02-09-2011, 07:08 PM
One possible explanation is that a person who can afford an $8000 bike in the first place can afford to give up $5000 when they sell it.

nahtnoj
02-09-2011, 07:22 PM
I highly doubt Serotta dealers are selling Meivici's for less than retail. Why would they? You don't have to pay for them until they're ordered, unless it's a floor demo.

I think the people buying Meivici's can afford to take a loss and not think much of it.

Relative to what happens when the same guy sells his 3 year old 911 GT3, the hit on the bike is nothing.

SPOKE
02-09-2011, 08:03 PM
By and large used bikes just don't sell for prices anywhere close to their msrp.....heck many new bikes don't sell for anything close to msrp..;)
I can tell you that I've sold a few new Serottas in the past few years and they went at msrp for the frame/fork. The build kit pricing is where the discounts are.

bike22
02-09-2011, 10:56 PM
not familiar with the meivici, but in general serottas seem to depreciate more than other high end/custom/high $$ framesets. there was a whole thread on this a while back, i'm sure a search would dig it up.

SEABREEZE
02-09-2011, 11:30 PM
I'm glad I got mine when I did.

If I had to empty my stable the final choice of getting down to one raod bike would be torturous between my Meivici and my Bedford. Two completely different bikes purchased for two completely different reasons and I will probably NEVER part with either one of them.

BK

The best of the best.. enjoy them Bruce...

soulspinner
02-10-2011, 09:18 AM
The best of the best.. enjoy them Bruce...

+1 They sound like a perfect argument for more than one bike.