PDA

View Full Version : Return to mtn biking

LegendRider
02-09-2011, 11:37 AM
I'm back to mtn bike riding after a ten year absence. So far, it's been a refreshing change of pace (no pun intended). I've noticed that everyone seems to wear full finger gloves now - why is that?

FastVegan
02-09-2011, 11:44 AM
I wear them because there are a lot of thorn bushes, and I dont want to get my hands dirty.

ericspin
02-09-2011, 11:48 AM
Because it's winter? I used to wear full fingered even in the summer if I was in a particularly sandy spot. The dirt that gets thrown off the tires and onto my hands used to bug me. FF gloves made it better.

dogdriver
02-09-2011, 11:49 AM
Hand protection. I crashed on rock in the early '90's and left most of two finger tips on the trail. Also, many of our trails have high shrubbery late in the season and the glove fingers keep the digits from getting beaten too much. That said, I'll wear fingerless on a hot day depending on where I'm going...

Check out the tool crib at Home Depot-- their work gloves are less than $10.00 and even have a snot patch on the thumb.

FWIW, Chris

rugbysecondrow
02-09-2011, 12:12 PM
I don't use gloves unless it is cold out. I don't like the feel of them at all. That is just me though.

I have seen guys wear the ones with full carbon knuckle protection, just overkill where I ride. I think lots of MTBikers like the gear...like roadies do.

nahtnoj
02-09-2011, 12:21 PM
In the decade since you have been mountain biking there has been a lot of development in gear driven primarily by the needs of the DH/freeride set. Trickle down from that scene instead of trickle over from the road. That doesn't mean full finger gloves are a bad idea - I wear them on the road. Hands are too important to get ripped up, especially finger tips.

avalonracing
02-09-2011, 01:49 PM
It's the trend. I see guys with elbow pads, full fingered gloves, back protectors and no helmet... Really.

Another trend is not using bar ends. I guess when you have a beer gut and a 40lb "all-mountain" bike you don't need something that would help on a long, steep climb.

Blue Jays
02-09-2011, 02:13 PM
I wear full-finger gloves both on roadbikes and mountainbikes in all but the very hottest weather.
Extra protection from branches, rocks, any flying debris is especially helpful when out on the trails.

Kirk Pacenti
02-09-2011, 02:20 PM
I've always worn them... my BMX background I guess.

Never wear gloves on the road bike though, unless it's really cold.

Cheers,

KP

sevencyclist
02-09-2011, 04:52 PM
I have always worn full fingered gloves for both roadbiking and mountainbiking.

I came from MTB and got used to it, so never saw why would need to have my finger coverage cut away for road riding.

xjoex
02-09-2011, 05:34 PM
I think people have them because they are cheap insurance against lost skin.

I never ride without full finger gloves.

-Joe