PDA

View Full Version : F1 Fork Question....

SoCalSteve
05-20-2005, 08:51 PM
Hi all,

I just picked up a used (circa 1999) Hor Categorie on ebay and it has a Serotta carbon 1" threaded fork. Is this an F1 fork? Did Serotta make any other carbon forks back then?

My understanding is that they are (were) very good forks.

I kind of remember people complaining when they phased out the F1 for the F2 (more Reynolds, less Serotta).

Please inform me...

Thank you all in advance,

Steve

dave thompson
05-20-2005, 08:58 PM
Great score Steve! I'm envious.

From the eBay pics it sure looks like the Serotta F1 fork. Look at the dropouts, if they're titanium it's an F1. The F1 forks are (today) considered a tad heavy, but they are some of the truest tracking forks ever made. Plus sturdy, reliable and with good road feel. I've seen more than a few F1s bought here on the forum from others. I think Dave Kirk had a hand in the development of them.

SoCalSteve
05-20-2005, 09:36 PM
I just got lucky, I guess...I've been looking for so long to an HC or a Legend ST....Now I have one in my size and I get to paint and build it just the way I want!

Ok, the dropouts are Ti.....And, what if they werent Ti? What fork would it be then?

I think I'll send Mr Kirk an email and ask him about the fork too.

Thanks,

Steve

dave thompson
05-20-2005, 09:45 PM
..........Ok, the dropouts are Ti.....And, what if they werent Ti? What fork would it be then?........
With ALU dropouts it could be any one of a number of forks. It's that Ti dropouts were sort of the indentifying hallmark of the F1, back in the day. I don't believe any others had them. The F1 was one of, if not the most expensive carbon forks when it was on the market.

SoCalSteve
05-20-2005, 09:55 PM
I'm not one for the threaded look, per se...But, the Serotta Ti stem matched with the 1" head tube is absolutely gorgeous!

Also, it has Ti handlebars...I've never heard of that.....But, they are too narrow for me anyway and I will replace them with something different.

Actually, the only parts that I am keeping are the frame, fork and stem. The rest will go on ebay....

Thanks so much for the info. I had a feeling that the fork was an F1 and is a good fork...I am not too concerned about the weight.

Steve

Smiley
05-20-2005, 10:03 PM
SoCalSteve , you lucky dog you , HC , F1 and STS ti stem , WOW

ride report please

SoCalSteve
05-20-2005, 10:37 PM
Where do I take it to be repainted???

Thoughts, comments, suggestions???

Thanks,

Steve

dave thompson
05-20-2005, 11:34 PM
How about Joe Bell? He's just down the road from you, in the San Diego area. Certainly worth the trip to talk to one of the world's best bike painters.