PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with a Pegoretti Custom Team?

texbike
02-08-2011, 09:45 PM
Has anyone on the board owned a Pegoretti Custom Team?

What were your thoughts on the bike?

One has popped up for sale and I'd like to hear a bit of feedback on them.

Thanks!

Texbike

akelman
02-08-2011, 09:53 PM
You should totally pass on that, Tex. Those frames are nothing but trouble. I've heard tell of one or two exploding beneath their riders: spontaneous combustion, like what happened to the drummers in Spinal Tap. Seriously, stay away.

Um, just out of curiosity, where's the listing?

texbike
02-08-2011, 10:18 PM
You should totally pass on that, Tex. Those frames are nothing but trouble. I've heard tell of one or two exploding beneath their riders: spontaneous combustion, like what happened to the drummers in Spinal Tap. Seriously, stay away.

Um, just out of curiosity, where's the listing?

Thanks for the guidance there Ari.

As the saying goes, "With friends like you..." :)

Texbike

Louis
02-09-2011, 12:02 AM
Did you see this thread? (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=1959)

texbike
02-09-2011, 08:01 AM
Did you see this thread? (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=1959)

Thanks for posting the link Louis. I did see it (great info in there) but was looking for more recent experience and feedback on the bikes.

Thanks,

Texbike

sg8357
02-09-2011, 08:11 AM
You should totally pass on that, Tex. Those frames are nothing but trouble. I've heard tell of one or two exploding beneath their riders:

That only happens when you put clinchers on them. You get terminal
shimmy with Shimano parts.

Anyway, does the bike have the sort of billiard cue paint scheme ?
Does the bike still have its steel fork ?
What is your home address ?

texbike
02-09-2011, 08:33 AM
That only happens when you put clinchers on them. You get terminal
shimmy with Shimano parts.

Anyway, does the bike have the sort of billiard cue paint scheme ?
Does the bike still have its steel fork ?
What is your home address ?

LOL! If I buy it, it will have both clinchers AND Shimano on it...

I haven't seen it yet (should see it tomorrow) but it does have the steel fork.

As for my address, I live in a tent in the Croatian wilderness. :)

Texbike

Rudy
02-09-2011, 11:29 AM
I don't know why people cream over Pegorettis. I took delivery of a Luigino ($2600) that had loose brazing material in the fork; it audibly rolled up and down the length of the blade. Significant gaps between two lugs and tubes. Faintly stamped logo on fork crown. Overall, nothing special from a "master." My off-the-peg Waterfords are way better looking and built. Comically, the distributor suggested that most brazed frames will have such residue in them and the remedy was to squirt Elmer's glue through the vent holes to anchor the slag. Also offered to repaint the brand-new frame...all the better to mask the gaps? It was a real wrestling match to get them to undo the deal and I was out shipping both ways.

texbike
02-09-2011, 01:33 PM
I don't know why people cream over Pegorettis. I took delivery of a Luigino ($2600) that had loose brazing material in the fork; it audibly rolled up and down the length of the blade. Significant gaps between two lugs and tubes. Faintly stamped logo on fork crown. Overall, nothing special from a "master." My off-the-peg Waterfords are way better looking and built. Comically, the distributor suggested that most brazed frames will have such residue in them and the remedy was to squirt Elmer's glue through the vent holes to anchor the slag. Also offered to repaint the brand-new frame...all the better to mask the gaps? It was a real wrestling match to get them to undo the deal and I was out shipping both ways.

Sorry to hear about your experience. I've owned a number of nice bikes over the years and the ride quality (handling and responsiveness) of my current Peg (a Fina Estampa) surpasses anything that I've had before it. The quality of the original paint leaves a bit to be desired but I'm more concerned about the ride dynamics than how it looks. I'm far from a Peg-groupie, but I like what I've sampled so far...

Texbike

davidlee
02-09-2011, 03:43 PM
ummm, welcome to the forum? :beer:
My Peg is pretty amazing. Sorry u got a bad one.

akelman
02-09-2011, 09:08 PM
I don't know why people cream over Pegorettis.

That's a new kind of bike pr0n, I have to admit. More seriously, everyone I know who has a Peg raves about the ride quality. And these are people who have many other great rides: Kirks, Zanks, Bedfords, Serottas, Vanillas, etc. Which is to say, I'm sorry you got unlucky, but yours is the first horror story I've heard about a Peg. Also, Elmer's? Really?

nelson
02-10-2011, 10:06 AM
Rudy,
Dario has asked me to respond to your post as a representative of Gita Sporting Goods, his US distributor. We're both sorry you had an issue with one of his frames. I don't know whether you are in the US or not, but based on the price you quoted I assume this was six or seven years ago. Neither I nor anyone else who would have been involved with warranties at the time has any recollection of this issue. I don't think I have ever seen a "gap" in Dario's brazing and I have examined hundreds, if not thousands, of his frames over the years. I'm certain it would not have left his shop if it was not structurally sound though. A bit of brazing material loose in a steel fork is not unusual, but I can't believe anyone here would have ever recommended "Elmer's glue" as a fix. At best that would be a very short-lived remedy. In my roughly 30 years in the bicycle industry I don't think I've ever seen more than a handful of forks that you could have heard any material rattling around in once the fork was mounted on a bike. All of us at Gita feel that Dario's frames are the pinnacle of steel frame design and truly unique from an artistic standpoint and are sorry you didn't have a good experience with your Luigino.

Regards,

Nelson Frazier
Gita Sporting Goods, Ltd.

TimD
02-10-2011, 12:29 PM
FWIW, Nelson is an absolutely stand-up guy in terms of customer service.

layneo59
02-10-2011, 02:18 PM
Wow! I am impressed with that response from Gita.

My two frames from Dario have been perfect and would buy another one in a minute.