PDA

View Full Version : Threaded or Threadless?

tbushnel
05-20-2005, 07:39 PM
I wondered if anyone had thoughts about the advantages/disadvantages to "upgrading" a frame with a threaded headset and fork to a threadless system? I have an Eddy Merckx titanium frame with threaded fork and I was thinking about changing the fork for handling reasons (the bike is a bit twitchy and I wanted a fork with less rake).
Any help would be appreciated.
:beer: :hello: :confused:

Serotta PETE
05-20-2005, 07:52 PM
for the sake of just going threadless, it is my opinion that there is no advantage - as long as the bike fits you now. One of the problems today with threaded is that the # of stems available to a person is becoming more and more limited. Threadless is where everything is going from a "new" point of view.

As to rake change, what type of fork do you have on the bike now...and is there a fork out there that is compatible with your bike that would work to change the angle/rake? GITA in Charlotte NC is the importer and you might give them a call and ask for suggestions.

Merckx were not known for being twitchy BUT do not know what fork you have. Tow Folks I know around here have a Kestral and another fellow even has a F1 he picked up used. They love their bikes and have mega miles on them.

saab2000
05-20-2005, 07:59 PM
Good question.

I cannot answer the issue about the rake and handling. Leave that to an expert. I am not.

However, I have done exactly what you are proposing on one of my bikes. I had a Croll with some handling issues. I had Don Ferris of Anvil Cycles make me a new fork with the proper rake for the frame size. My request was that the new one be threadless.

My bike is a steel one and the new fork is also steel.

With your Merckx Ti you will have only the option of a 1" fork and if you get an all carbon threadless fork it might be a little flexible. Most modern forks are 1 1/8 inches and are stiffer.

That said, there are some good forks out there with 1" steerer tubes which are not all carbon, but are threadless.

Threadless forks and Ahead-set style stems probably provide some less flexibility in terms of height adjustment. But once you get your height right you probably don't need to change it anyway.

Threadless looks a bit more "modern" if that is important to you. It is also very marginally lighter. It may also be a bit stiffer.

My Croll had a Cinelli Grammo quill stem on before. Now it has a Cinelli Grammo Ti threadless stem and the threadless stem feels stiffer to my hands.

It sounds a bit odd, but I might even suggest a steel fork for your ride. It could be made threadless or threaded and you could have it powdercoated matte black if you wanted to have a "modern carbon-like" look to it.

The steel fork could be tailored exactly to your head angle and would probably be stiffer to boot, though possibly somewhat heavier than your current fork.

Hope that helped a bit. I did just what you are describing for exactly the same reason - handling. The only difference was that mine was on a steel bike.

vaxn8r
05-20-2005, 08:25 PM
Yeah but who uses a steel fork on a ti frame?

Of course it isn't "worth it" but that's not a reason not to. You'll never get your money back out of it but if it makes you want to ride it more that counts for something. I'm skeptical that it will be functionally better but it does depend on what's on there now.

saab2000
05-20-2005, 08:40 PM
Just because not many people use steel forks on Ti frames does not mean it is a not a viable option. I would certainly consult with a builder before getting it done.

Remember, Colnago - hardly some pansy bike, used steel forks on the C-40 carbon frames for years before they considered carbon forks to be up to the task.

Steel forks might not be bad.

But, if one is so inclined, I think Reynolds still makes the Ouzo Pro in many dimensions and configurations. They are considered to be excellent forks and so this could also be an option.

yim
05-20-2005, 08:55 PM
Another question.

Can we threaded a steerer tube which is made of carbon?

Brian Smith
05-20-2005, 09:19 PM
Another question.

Can we threaded a steerer tube which is made of carbon?

We canst not use threads on feeyorks of carbon steerers, but threads uponen dem carbon forks mit steely steerers ist OK!

I like steely forks on 'em all, but carbonish forks appear to be improving.

Steel forks on ti bikes = :beer: :beer:

Jeff N.
05-20-2005, 09:46 PM
I say get with time times...go threadless. Jeff N.

Elefantino
05-21-2005, 08:45 AM
As long as they make quill adapters, you can stay threaded and use a "threadless" stem. I have. Works fine.

tbushnel
05-21-2005, 09:33 AM
I appreciate all of the responses. I actually have a steel fork on it already. It didn't come with the bike, but replaced the original carbon fork. The previous owner wasn't happy with the lateral stiffness (or lack thereof) of the previous fork.
I neglected to mention that I started using a threaded-threadless adaptor that allows me to use threadless stems which for fine tuning position was a real help. I hated having to wrap and unrap the !#?* bar ever time. And I agree that the threadless stem feels stiffer than the titanium quill that was on it originally.
Comfort wise, I like the steel, and I am entertaining another.
I guess another question would be whether the rake could be changed on the existing steel fork?
Anyone ever heard of that?
And BTW Saab, I too am not an expert with issues regarding rake and handling so, as you suggested I am leaving those details to the experts at my LBS. I mean, would I try to fix my wife's car if it had a handling problem (or rather, would my wife let me touch her car?... !?#%%$ NO!)
Regards,

:banana: :banana:

saab2000
05-21-2005, 11:04 AM
Tbushnel,

Your LBS may or may not be able to help out here. I am not dissing them, but getting the proper rake for the size and the head tube angle is not something most people can do. I would be inclined to contact a framebuilder.

That said, it is certainly not impossible that your LBS will be truly expert on it. But this is something which is pretty deep into design philosophy. Rake and trail can be confusing and not much difference in numbers can make a big handling difference.

tbushnel
05-21-2005, 11:56 AM
I have so many LBS' to choose from I am lucky. It turns out the one I have been working with on this particular bike (I updated the wheels from freewheel to cassette, and went from 8sp to 9sp) also makes bikes. Its Elliot Bay Cycles in 'Seattle and they make Davidson frames - very nice steel & titanium +/- carbon tubes.
You make a very good point though. I was not really considering that the rake and trail might be beyond the expertise of the typical LBS. Dumb luck and your suggestion have likely saved me some wasted resources.
thank you.
Enjoy your weekend.
Ted.

saab2000
05-21-2005, 12:07 PM
Enjoy my weekend....

Well, I hope you enjoy yours! I am lying in bed with a fever and a nasty cold watching Southpark DVDs. I hurts to laugh!

Have fun with you fork. I have no doubt that Davidson will be able to help you out!

PS - Just got done watching the Weightgain 4000 episode where Kathy Lee Gifford came to Southpark in a Popemobile-like car! To paraphrase Cartman - Kicka**!