+1 although i want to try the new specialized purist

from what i gather, similar valve but it can be removed for thorough cleaning

on the pricey side though for a friggin water bottle

AngryScientist
02-08-2011, 06:00 PM

are they available yet, havent seen any at the bike shop shop yet, looks like a promising design.

Fixed
02-08-2011, 06:05 PM
100% BPA-Free
so that gets rid of the funky taste that bottles get ?
thanks for the fast response
cheers

AngryScientist
02-08-2011, 06:19 PM
100% BPA-Free
so that gets rid of the funky taste that bottles get ?
thanks for the fast response
cheers

yea, you essentially cant buy anything today that is made with bpa. its my understanding though that bike water bottles have never been made with bpa, more rigid plastics, like those of baby bottles and older hard nalgene wide mouth bottles used to be made with bpa content, pliable, squeezable bike bottles have always been made with LDPE or polypro, both of which are cool.

in my experience almost all plastic water bottle give off some kind of taste, especially when in the sun for a while.

sevencyclist
02-08-2011, 06:22 PM
Yeah, would love to find a bottle that can stay on the regular bottle cage and does not have any taste.

maxdog
02-08-2011, 06:26 PM
Yeah, would love to find a bottle that can stay on the regular bottle cage and does not have any taste.

Nathan stainless steel. No leaching, no odor or taste absorption and very easy to clean.

Black Dog
02-08-2011, 06:26 PM
Best ever indeed. No leaks and a great valve! The new insulated version is very good (podium ice).

camelback podium, best valves ever.

http://www.pricepoint.com/images/styleImages/D_025%20CAMPD8.jpg

oldpotatoe
02-08-2011, 06:29 PM
Nathan stainless steel. No leaching, no odor or taste absorption and very easy to clean.

hard to squeeze tho...

crownjewelwl
02-08-2011, 06:41 PM
are they available yet, havent seen any at the bike shop shop yet, looks like a promising design.

i think you can buy them from the specialized site...

maxdog
02-08-2011, 06:44 PM
hard to squeeze tho...

True, but no need to, just invert.

Ken C
02-08-2011, 06:58 PM
i know this sound stupid but what water bottles do you guys like
there must be some great ones and some not so great
for me once i put something with sugar in one it is never the same
cheers

I like the Specialized bottles and the Camalback bottles. To help with the sugar issue I always buy bottles in pairs. I then mark one of them with a permanent marker on the bottom of the bottle and the lid and use that one for energy drinks. The unmarked ones only get water.

Fixed
02-08-2011, 07:02 PM
I like the Specialized bottles and the Camalback bottles. To help with the sugar issue I always buy bottles in pairs. I then mark one of them with a permanent marker on the bottom of the bottle and the lid and use that one for energy drinks. The unmarked ones only get water.

nice hint
thanks
cheers

Ralph
02-08-2011, 07:21 PM
I need a couple new bottles myself this year. Just want to make sure they are at least 32 oz.

Fixed
02-08-2011, 07:31 PM
I need a couple new bottles myself this year. Just want to make sure they are at least 32 oz.
ralph why not join us sat. feb 19
http://www.active.com/cycling/dunedin-fl/ride4theanimals-2011?cmp=1745
cheers

Ralph
02-08-2011, 07:39 PM
ralph why not join us sat. feb 19
http://www.active.com/cycling/dunedin-fl/ride4theanimals-2011?cmp=1745
cheers

Can't. Made other plans already. If I had know about it earlier, maybe. Thanks for mentioning it.

1centaur
02-08-2011, 07:54 PM
Purist bottles are at my LBS.

My ideal bottle is not made yet: Purist Ice Jacket (blend of Purist no taste and new Camelbak Ice Jacket that is supposed to keep drinks colder longer.

dekindy
02-08-2011, 08:39 PM
Camelbak Ice for hot or cold weather riding.

Fixed
02-08-2011, 08:53 PM
looks like Camelbak wins
cheers i will look for one
cheers
thanks

FlashUNC
02-08-2011, 09:22 PM
Another vote for the Camelbak bottles. Genius stuff.

troymac
02-08-2011, 09:37 PM
Hey have you seen this one? It was reviewed by cycling news sounded pretty slick. www.cyclingnews.com/features/product-review-specialized-purist-watergate-bottle :banana:

pdmtong
02-08-2011, 10:08 PM
camelbak hands down. plus the newer ones are easier to squeeze than the original ones

unwell_ultra
02-09-2011, 12:21 AM
The Specialized Purist bottles ROCK! They are very easy to clean, don't stain and leave no after taste. They are also available at many LBS.

IMO much better than Camelback bottles.

jlwdm
02-09-2011, 12:37 AM
I have never had problems with taste or cleaning. I use mostly Polar and one Camelback.

But I can't believe no one has mentioned the most important factor - that the bottle color must go with the frame.

Jeff

weaponsgrade
02-09-2011, 12:56 AM
I have those Soma Polypropylene bottles. No plastic taste, but the bottles are a bit harder to squeeze.

Fixed
02-09-2011, 01:27 AM
soma is just plain cool
thanks
cheers

SEABREEZE
02-09-2011, 08:28 AM

Agree with the MAX,stainless is the way to go

Additionally FIXED, you may want to consider Unheated raw honey instead of sugar. Key word being unheated, as all the enzymes are there.

IF you buy honey that U can see through to the otherside of the bottle, its been heated, and is just as bad as sugar..

Unheated will be opaque, so you wont be able to see the other side of the bottle. You should be able to find this in a health store.

dekindy
02-09-2011, 08:38 AM
The Specialized Purist bottles ROCK! They are very easy to clean, don't stain and leave no after taste. They are also available at many LBS.

IMO much better than Camelback bottles.

Will they be introducing insulated versions? I certainly would like the ability to clean the valve.

daker13
02-09-2011, 08:58 AM
I had the hardest time finding a regular, Specialized type water bottle this past fall (my preference). All I could find were new and improved $12 versions.

old fat man
02-09-2011, 08:59 AM
camelbak hands down. plus the newer ones are easier to squeeze than the original ones

maybe i was using the older version, but i found them much too rigid and much harder to drink from than the tried and true specialized options. i want to be able to squeeze the drink into my mouth, not have to suck it out and that was not nearly as easy with the camelbak bottles i tried.

lastly, i run mine through the dishwasher after a few uses and that seems to keep bacteria away and prevents lingering energy drink taste. i also fill the energy drink bottle with water once or twice to drink from after riding and that helps prevent build up of left over energy drink stuff/taste.

Fixed
02-09-2011, 09:02 AM
Agree with the MAX,stainless is the way to go

Additionally FIXED, you may want to consider Unheated raw honey instead of sugar. Key word being unheated, as all the enzymes are there.

IF you buy honey that U can see through to the otherside of the bottle, its been heated, and is just as bad as sugar..

Unheated will be opaque, so you wont be able to see the other side of the bottle. You should be able to find this in a health store.
cool thanks i will look for at rollin oats
cheers

jonnyBgood
02-09-2011, 09:06 AM
I too like the CamelBak Podium bottles and the new Specialized Purist bottles.

The new CamelBak bottles are much softer than earlier versions so much easier to squeeze and of course no leaking.

The new Specialized Purist bottles are really nice as well. They have a bigger hole in the top then the CamelBak and the seal is a little stronger so the first few times you use them you have to get used to squeezing a little harder and you get a quicker(harder) shot of water, hope that makes since.

I have been using the CamelBak bottles for a few years and really like them, they leave no bad taste at all. I have currently been using the new Specialized Purist bottles for the last two months and really like them as well, no bad taste either. I think the CamelBak is a little softer bottle so just a little easier to squeeze.

Specialized is coming out with a Purist insulated version that should be out any time.

Never knew I could write so much on a couple water bottles :D

rice rocket
02-09-2011, 09:13 AM
Does Camelbak sell replacement lids?

I have the Polar bottles w/ the standard top, but the convenience of the Camelbak nozzle sounds tempting. Apparently they fit right on top.

fourflys
02-09-2011, 09:28 AM

you can pull the clear part off the camel back bottles to clean it... that's where all the gunk seems to build up...

fourflys
02-09-2011, 09:30 AM
Does Camelbak sell replacement lids?

I have the Polar bottles w/ the standard top, but the convenience of the Camelbak nozzle sounds tempting. Apparently they fit right on top.

not that I know of, but a buddy got a 6 pack of pink podium bottles on bonktown for next to nothing...

unwell_ultra
02-09-2011, 11:16 AM
Will they be introducing insulated versions? I certainly would like the ability to clean the valve.

Don't know if they will be introducing the insulated version but the valve is very easy to clean and the bottles are easy to squeeze. Another plus is the valve is larger allowing more fluid to flow through the valve.

firerescuefin
02-09-2011, 11:48 AM
I prefer mine clean and bacteria free....don't leak is a major plus. :beer:

soupless
02-09-2011, 11:59 AM
purist is awesome

pdmtong
02-09-2011, 01:12 PM
maybe i was using the older version, but i found them much too rigid and much harder to drink from than the tried and true specialized options. i want to be able to squeeze the drink into my mouth, not have to suck it out and that was not nearly as easy with the camelbak bottles i tried.

lastly, i run mine through the dishwasher after a few uses and that seems to keep bacteria away and prevents lingering energy drink taste. i also fill the energy drink bottle with water once or twice to drink from after riding and that helps prevent build up of left over energy drink stuff/taste.

i bought the podium bottle when it first came out. plastic stiff and hard to squeeze relative to specialized. about 12-18 months later the formula changed, and now much easier to squeeze. worth a second try.

Ahneida Ride
02-09-2011, 03:09 PM
Velo Orange used to offer great stainless steel bottles.

Fixed
02-09-2011, 03:14 PM
Velo Orange used to offer great stainless steel bottles.
very cool site
thanks
cheers

geowar
02-09-2011, 07:31 PM
Zefel, one liter bottles. They weigh one kilo when full, but don't ever complain about running out of water before I do.