PDA

View Full Version : rolls saddle vs brooks saddle b17

Fixed
02-07-2011, 04:33 PM
found it in a box in some of my stuff put away by mrs fixed
i like the old style stuff but i have never had a brooks on my bike
so it raining hard tonight and i am thinking of taking my rolls off and trying the brooks ..i like the super classic looks of the brooks but i have been riding rolls for long time ... i am one of those guys that say if it ain't broken don't fix it well .here goes .. any tips like point the nose up etc.
cheers thanks

oldpotatoe
02-07-2011, 05:04 PM
found it in a box in some of my stuff put away by mrs fixed
i like the old style stuff but i have never had a brooks on my bike
so it raining hard tonight and i am thinking of taking my rolls off and trying the brooks ..i like the super classic looks of the brooks but i have been riding rolls for long time ... i am one of those guys that say if it ain't broken don't fix it well .here goes .. any tips like point the nose up etc.
cheers thanks

Good luck. I have been riding Rolls for decades. Had a fixie, thought a B-17 would look cool..didn't work for me. I had a really pretty Red Waterford, thought it would look great with a Swallow, tried than and then a Swift..none of them worked for me. Back to Rolls on everything. At least they were easy to sell.

bironi
02-07-2011, 05:15 PM
I have a couple riding buddies using the B-17 on their fixes, and they're happy.

Try it. Mess with the nose slightly up. Carry a tool and keep futzing with the adjustment till you're happy, but then you know that. :beer:

Fixed
02-07-2011, 05:21 PM
only took a minute to switch
bro you ride a lot more than i can now
my 60 minute ride i could ride on a just about anything
i don't know if i ever said thanks for all the insight and helpful hints you give out
it has been a pleasure reading all your post
thank you
if i ever get where i can ride more the rolls may go back on
butch

Fixed
02-07-2011, 05:23 PM
oldpotatoe i bet you liked that name b17 sounds like an airplane
cheers

Fixed
02-07-2011, 05:41 PM
I have a couple riding buddies using the B-17 on their fixes, and they're happy.

Try it. Mess with the nose slightly up. Carry a tool and keep futzing with the adjustment till you're happy, but then you know that. :beer:

good advise can never be repeated enough
imho
cheers thank you

gone
02-07-2011, 05:43 PM
This is definite proof (as if any was needed) that what works for one person doesn't for another. In my case, the rolls is a torture device and I've got tens of thousands of miles on various brooks saddles. I've put on various brooks and gone out to do a century the next day without issue, I can't stand the rolls for more than 50 miles.

As was said earlier: nose up on the brooks.

oldpotatoe
02-07-2011, 05:54 PM
only took a minute to switch
bro you ride a lot more than i can now
my 60 minute ride i could ride on a just about anything
i don't know if i ever said thanks for all the insight and helpful hints you give out
it has been a pleasure reading all your post
thank you
if i ever get where i can ride more the rolls may go back on
butch

No sweat. your posts remind me of the 60s. "If you remember the 60s you weren't really there.

Hang in there...don't wrestle with the pigs, they enjoy it and you get dirty.

Ken Robb
02-07-2011, 06:47 PM
I like my B-17 saddles, my Brooks Pro, and, much to my surprise, Ariones. A Rolls is very uncomfortable for me.

Douglas Brooks loves Rolls and also rides Brooks so I guess you can't know what will work for you without trying one.

Does Wallingford still offer money-back trial on Brooks?

Fixed
02-07-2011, 07:07 PM
you are one of the guys that made me want to try one
it looks really good one my bike
i hope to try it out tuesday
cheers

Ken Robb
02-07-2011, 07:15 PM
which Brooks do you have?

Fixed
02-07-2011, 07:16 PM
that is a B-17 bro
cheers

KeithNYC
02-07-2011, 07:34 PM
Show us a pic of the thing on your bike. If it looks right it is right.

:cool: ;)

Ken Robb
02-07-2011, 07:49 PM
That's the almost widest one and generally is recommended for bikes with little drop from saddle to bars. I don't know what your position is these days. If it feels a little wide in the skirt area and chafes you a little remember the old tighten it sideways with cross-lacing. Good luck.

Fixed
02-07-2011, 08:48 PM
Show us a pic of the thing on your bike. If it looks right it is right.

:cool: ;)
here it is saddle may have to go down
it seems to sit higher than the rolls

cheers

KeithNYC
02-07-2011, 10:18 PM
lookin' good but I'm a rolls guy too.
:beer:

sg8357
02-08-2011, 09:50 AM
[snip]
Does Wallingford still offer money-back trial on Brooks?

6 month unconditional guarantee for Brooks or Berthoud saddles.
He sells the returns at a discount.

Rolls looks closer to Pro or Swift than a B-17.

SoCalSteve
02-08-2011, 12:34 PM
In looking at your pictures......I think for a B-17, the saddle to bar drop is pretty great on that bike, Butch. Can you lower the saddle a bit and try it out? Dont wanna wreck your knee's though if the saddle is too low.

Yeah, always pointed up, make the saddle look like it is a hammock.

merlincustom1
02-08-2011, 12:55 PM
Regarding height, remember to measure from the ground or the top of the top tube to the top of the Rolls and the same for the Brooks, and then change the post height to make up for any difference. You may also have to tweak the fore and aft as well. I have a Brooks Swallow that I keep level and it feels fine.

Fixed
02-08-2011, 01:39 PM
I am riding tonight and the saddle may be a little high
i put tape on my post as a marker but when i sat on it in my room it felt higher than my old rolls .
thanks for the advise guys
cheers

Fixed
02-08-2011, 05:41 PM
In looking at your pictures......I think for a B-17, the saddle to bar drop is pretty great on that bike, Butch. Can you lower the saddle a bit and try it out? Dont wanna wreck your knee's though if the saddle is too low.

Yeah, always pointed up, make the saddle look like it is a hammock.
did it felt great good eye steve
i had my seat jacked up trying to emulate the jerks saddle position and not mine
went down a lot to where i rode in the 70's
the balance is much better lower
i forgot what that felt like inside the bike instead of on it .
i owe you
thanks bro

SoCalSteve
02-08-2011, 05:46 PM
did it felt great good eye steve
i had my seat jacked up trying to emulate the jerks saddle position and not mine
went down a lot to where i rode in the 70's
the balance is much better lower
i forgot what that felt like inside the bike instead of on it .
i owe you
thanks bro

You owe me nothing! Its all in the pleasure of helping out another Forumite (when we can).

Glad to have you back! You bring more joy to our happy community.

Steve