PDA

View Full Version : Why the UCI?

BumbleBeeDave
02-07-2011, 06:35 AM
Given the state of things between teams, riders, and the UCI lately as evidences by stories like this . . .

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/02/news/listen-up-riders-want-radio_159042

Can anyone tell me anything about the history of the UCI that indicates WHY it came to be in the first place?

It certainly doesn't seem to render sensible decisions. It certainly doesn't seem to protect anyone's interest in cycling. Whether it's dictating equipment, banning things--or people--or teams--What exactly does it do that really couldn't be done by anyone else or any other organization in pro cycling? :confused:

Seems more like a cartel or mafia type organization to me than anything else.

"Pay us protection money and we'll let you race . . . "

BBD

William
02-07-2011, 07:10 AM
Given the state of things between teams, riders, and the UCI lately as evidences by stories like this . . .

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/02/news/listen-up-riders-want-radio_159042

Can anyone tell me anything about the history of the UCI that indicates WHY it came to be in the first place?

It certainly doesn't seem to render sensible decisions. It certainly doesn't seem to protect anyone's interest in cycling. Whether it's dictating equipment, banning things--or people--or teams--What exactly does it do that really couldn't be done by anyone else or any other organization in pro cycling? :confused:

Seems more like a cartel or mafia type organization to me than anything else.

"Pay us protection money and we'll let you race . . . "

BBD

I think you answered your own question.

William

BumbleBeeDave
02-07-2011, 08:12 AM
. . . but there had to be an original, more charitable reason the organization was established. What was it?

Where does their authority come from?

For the sake of discussion, if somebody like, say, Richard Branson decided he wanted to organize his own race like the "Tour of Europe" or something and offered $50mil in prize money and teamed up with ASO to associate with their races, what could the UCI do to prevent teams from participating?

BBD

toaster
02-07-2011, 08:19 AM
Without researching anything yet my guess is it grew out of the Olympics and their federations.

goonster
02-07-2011, 08:43 AM
. . . but there had to be an original, more charitable reason the organization was established. What was it?
It's like this:

You start with local clubs. As they grow and expand their activities, they want to compete against each other and therefore need a national organization to coordinate competitions and such. At some point, you need a global organization to hold a world championship and act as a final authority on rules.

Consider, for a moment, that this is all for an activity that people do out of love and that generates essentially no money, e.g. Donkey Kong, Tug-of-War*, orienteering, etc. All power flows from the local clubs who elect officials, who in turn elect national officers, and the national federations nominate/elect global officers.

Now add money. The global officers control an enterprise that generates a lot of revenue. In the case of the IOC and FIFA it's billions. You have TV contracts, endorsement deals with all the major corporations and heads of state solicit you to host big tournaments.

Result: the sport is a means to an end, and those who practice it professionally are effectively people you manage to maximize revenue and long-term growth. Everybody else is a customer or potential customer.

The UCI's motives are perfectly simple and clear. It does what's best for the UCI.

(* = Did you know that this was once an Olympic sport?)

btulloch
02-07-2011, 08:57 AM

Where does their authority come from?

For the sake of discussion, if somebody like, say, Richard Branson decided he wanted to organize his own race like the "Tour of Europe" or something and offered $50mil in prize money and teamed up with ASO to associate with their races, what could the UCI do to prevent teams from participating?

BBD

Such a race would qualify as an outlaw event. Any riders registered in the race could be banned from competition in future UCI events for their participation in an event outside the UCI regulations

JStonebarger
02-07-2011, 09:07 AM
Well, for one thing, the UCI is why you and all your bike racing heros aren't riding recumbents.

Just for a change of pace, before this thread becomes a laundry list of complaints from "fans" who can't be bothered to google "UCI" to learn the history, how about we start with a list of other sports' ruling bodies that do such a great job? At least that might be a little informative. I'm no huge fan of the UCI but all this whining is ridiculous.

goonster
02-07-2011, 09:13 AM
if somebody like, say, Richard Branson decided he wanted to organize his own race like the "Tour of Europe" or something and offered $50mil in prize money and teamed up with ASO to associate with their races, what could the UCI do to prevent teams from participating?
Boxing went down this road. If Sir Richard does this successfully, others will follow and you end up with an alphabet soup of sanctioning bodies and zero credibility. It's bad for the sport because this system inevitably creates a scenario where the best don't face off head-to-head in direct competition.

torquer
02-07-2011, 09:41 AM
Such a race would qualify as an outlaw event. Any riders registered in the race could be banned from competition in future UCI events for their participation in an event outside the UCI regulations
Riders or teams?
I could see the UCI banning teams, since contractual relationships exist which no doubt limit teams' ability to race outside the UCI framework.
But riders? Maybe if there's something in their contracts with the teams that extends the UCI monopoly.
I recall the US cycling federation used to have a similar prohibition, which I always found grating. (It seemed monopolistic, or in restraint of trade or something, even if it was just us amateurs.) Since I don't race any more, I don't know if its still in effect, but with the proliferation of competing federations, I don't see how they could enforce it.
Europe has some fairly comprehensive labor laws which might limit UCI's power to restrict the pros' rights to ply their trade. Anyone know of any relevant Euro court challenges?

oliver1850
02-07-2011, 02:25 PM

goonster
02-07-2011, 03:07 PM
I don't know if the Societe du Tour de France is politically seperate enough from the UCI for there to be a split, but if there were, you could envision the UCI banning riders and/or teams that competed in the TDF.
The ASO is quite independent of the UCI. That's why the UCI started the ProTour system, was a blatant attempt to wrest control over events away from the ASO and other organizers.

This is one aspect where cycling differs significantly from soccer and the Olympics. The sport's sanctioning body does not own its signature event.

I have no constructive criticism here. Money corrupts sports irredeemably, imo. Calibrate your expectations accordingly, and seek satisfaction in the grassroots levels of the sport.

oliver1850
02-07-2011, 06:50 PM