PDA

View Full Version : .

oliver1850
02-05-2011, 02:44 PM

texbike
02-05-2011, 03:19 PM
I guess that should be polish, not Polish :p

Anyway, I got these C Rec cranks. They're pretty scratched up, more so than I would normally use. The shield logo is pretty well gone. If I polish them, will the value be hurt?

If it was in NOS condition you would screw the value. Since that isn't the case here, I don't think that you would hurt the value at all. A buddy of mine has a fully polished C-Record crankset like yours and it is an absolute thing of beauty.

Texbike

oldpotatoe
02-05-2011, 03:53 PM
I guess that should be polish, not Polish :p

Anyway, I got these C Rec cranks. They're pretty scratched up, more so than I would normally use. The shield logo is pretty well gone. If I polish them, will the value be hurt?

Polish them and take the self extractors out. If the 7mm flats get rounded out you will never get the crank off. The self extractors are threaded in reverse threaded..righty-loosey and of course then you need the Campagnolo left threaded crank puller.

Fixed
02-05-2011, 04:09 PM
beautiful crank
imho
cheers

Scott Shire
02-05-2011, 06:34 PM
1) Polish
2) Remove dustcaps
3) Suffer fast!

Steve in SLO
02-05-2011, 07:04 PM
I saw the title and asked myself "What bike parts were ever made in Poland?"
duh...I guess it's time for a beer.

Now that I have it straight, another vote for polishing. :beer:

veggieburger
02-05-2011, 07:16 PM
I would polish with Polish sandpaper for a lovely Eastern bloc lustre.

buldogge
02-05-2011, 08:15 PM
Anything where the logos are gone are fair game for polishing.

I often polish Campy Aero seatposts as well since the logos are engraved.

Stems are easy as well.

My 2c

-Mark in St. Louis

sean
02-05-2011, 08:30 PM
1. Polish
2. Get campy logo
3. Make a mini screen with Print Gocco
4. Screen Logo
5. Cover with car wax or minwax

Better than original IMHO

buldogge
02-05-2011, 09:02 PM
Hey Sean...I had to look that one up...

Pretty cool if you have a Gocco...not sure I would want to outlay $175 for the printer though. I wonder if they pop up used much?

-Mark in St. Louis

1. Polish
2. Get campy logo
3. Make a mini screen with Print Gocco
4. Screen Logo
5. Cover with car wax or minwax

Better than original IMHO

sean
02-05-2011, 11:21 PM
I was EXTREMELY lucky and found a used PG99 for $25 at a local thrift store. Even had several packages of screens/bulbs/ink.

Gocco is expensive though and they discontinued sales in the US, so the one place you can order from is in Australia. :(

However, if you use it for a lot of stuff, it's worth the price as it's REALLY easy to use and much less of a hassle than burning traditional screens.

Another alternative for cheap screening is photoEZ.

sean
02-05-2011, 11:22 PM
At one point, I had a set of those that I polished up and had black ano'd. My goal was to screen the logo back on, but never got around to it.

I have a set of later record hidden 5th arm anodized black. Was thinking of making a screen and trying something different with the logo placement.

oliver1850
02-06-2011, 04:07 PM

sean
02-06-2011, 05:03 PM
If you really wanna put some elbow grease into it, the pits will come out. Use emery paper. Start with coarse to fine, then finish up with some wet/dry in various stages or take it to the buffer.