PDA

View Full Version : OT: Childhood or let's say a trip into the youth lane

Dave B
02-05-2011, 11:59 AM
Here in the winter wonderland of Fishers, IN (NE of Indy) we are sitting on around 4 inches of brand new snow...over 4 to 6 inches of solid effing ice.

I just took my 5 year old with her brand new sled over to the school I teach at which has some short, but sweet 30 to 40 yard steep hills.

I just spent the last 2 hours sledding down with her, watching her and falling!

We took our 1 year old golden and I have never seen a child have so much fun...oh yeah the 5 year old and dog did too!

My ass is so sore, however the amount of feet-in-the-air falling and landing on it I suppose it is to be expected.

The last run, the very pinnacle of our day was a run towards the parking lot and the car. Super steep hill, fresh untouched powder and hidden 3 foot wall or should I say ramp of ice. We go flying at it and by the time I make the connection we are air borne. The sled and I landed first and Gabby (the 5 year old) landed on top of me. We laid there for 30 seconds easily laughing and groaning as our booties were seriously throbbing.

Back now and after a hot bath for her and a warm set of clothes she is curled up next to me sound asleep as well as the dog at my feet.

I cannot tell you how much fun it is to turn back the proverbial clock just a bit and remember the sheer joy of getting snow down your pants, shirt, up your nose, and freezing any sort of fluid that comes out of your body.

We are headed out tomorrow and dragging my wife and the neighborhood kids if I can find a big bottle of Tylenol!

Hope all of you have a great day too!

jghall
02-06-2011, 08:22 AM
Sounds like a great day Dave. Funny how sometimes the simpliest of things, are the ones of most fun, and the ones that will forever register in the memory bank.

Btw, where you'd go? We usually hit Deer Creek. Hoping to take my kids today.

maxdog
02-06-2011, 08:35 AM
Yeah, I have a similar hill on my front lawn I take my nephew (9) and identical twin nieces (6) sledding down. Nothing like the spirit of youth to invigorate the oldsters, such as myself. On that note, I'm going to head out for a few hours of skiing, before things warm up and get slushy.
Oh and you'll be getting my vote.