PDA

View Full Version : Reason for a Serotta Fork....

Pete Serotta
02-05-2011, 10:12 AM
Why you want a Serotta fork.

Serotta understands that the front fork is more than just an important component of the bike, it’s truly an extension of the frame. For optimal handling under sprinting, climbing, cornering, descending and applying the brakes the front fork influences the performance of the bike in a uniquely critical way. And when it comes to safety it’s the most vital. Understanding these attributes is why Serotta has placed more emphasis on fork design than any other company- large or small.

Does it really make sense that a cyclist of 120lbs and another of 250 lbs. would get the equivalent performance/safety from the same fork? Absolutely not…but only Serotta seems to understand, so while everyone else produces forks of only one weight and stiffness for all cyclists, we produce three, dubbed 6.5; 8.5 and 10.5. Of course we offer a wide range of offsets (rake) in each stiffness to match the required steering geometry of your bicycle. In other words your Serotta fork is selected to match your weight, riding style and frame geometry so that your frame and fork perform in unison, each enhancing the other.

Of course there are further options too- we produce forks to fit your beloved older bike with a 1” steering column and by Fall 2010 and through the first part of 2011 we’ll extend our line to include cross, touring and 650C forks, so there will never be a need to compromise your safety or performance.

All Serotta forks are produced start to finish in our Serotta Composites facility in Poway, CA. This matters to us because we are quality control freaks. We think It should matter to you too because on a 60mph descent you should only be thinking about your line, not wondering if the fork you are on falls within a loosely controlled specification dictated half a world away.

Serotta Personalized Precision Forks are available as original equipment on Serotta frames and can also be ordered individually to enhance the ride of most other brands.

Specifications:
F4 full carbon with machined aluminum dropouts; 1 ˝” to 1 1/8” taper; rakes 4.3; 5.0
F3 full carbon with titanium drop outs for extra durability; 1 1/8” or 1” steering column; rakes 4.0; 4.3; 4.7; 5.2
S3 full carbon with aluminum drop outs; 1 1/8” or 1” steering column; rakes 4.0; 4.3; 4.7; 5.2

spartacus
02-05-2011, 10:26 AM
..and have you got prices for the forks Pete?

Smiley
02-05-2011, 10:45 AM
Pete, That Cross fork can't come soon enough and while speaking about Serotta goods when do you think Stan is going to show off some of that Gucci Serotta Kits he keeps teasing us with.
I must remind Stan to keep the freaking prices reasonable so we can buy more than a jersey and a pair of socks :)

Pete Serotta
02-05-2011, 03:06 PM
F3 below but more details available on Serotta.COM "FORKS" or from your dealer

Serotta Forks, Crafted in the Serotta Composites Facility in Poway, CA. These afford the ultimate in rider tunability and are 100% Made in the USA and tested to an extremely high standard.

Steer Tube 1 1/8" 1"

Rakes 4.0 4.3 4.7 5.2
Stiffness 6.5 8.5 10.5
MSRP $695

Painting charge (on top of fork MSRP above price)for a color is
$149: One color
$249: Two colors
$299: Three colors

MSRP prices are on Serotta.com look under FORKS

Pete Serotta
02-05-2011, 03:13 PM
..and have you got prices for the forks Pete?

If your dealer can not give you specific recommendation based on your current bike frame please let me know the model and serial # of frame and I will find out which fork would work best for you.

PETE

rockdude
02-06-2011, 08:20 AM
What about the cross forks, is there going to be an F4 full carbon 1 ˝” to 1 1/8” taper; rakes 4.5; 4.7? Is there going to be a disc version? Is there going to be a crown hole for the cable hanger? Lots of changes happening in the industry with cross forks.

bfd
02-06-2011, 10:59 AM
F3 below but more details available on Serotta.COM "FORKS" or from your dealer

Serotta Forks, Crafted in the Serotta Composites Facility in Poway, CA. These afford the ultimate in rider tunability and are 100% Made in the USA and tested to an extremely high standard.

Steer Tube 1 1/8" 1"

Rakes 4.0 4.3 4.7 5.2
Stiffness 6.5 8.5 10.5
MSRP $695

Painting charge (on top of fork MSRP above price)for a color is
$149: One color
$249: Two colors
$299: Three colors

MSRP prices are on Serotta.com look under FORKS

Wow, I'm probably going to get blasted for this and hopefully not banned, but really does serotta think there is a market for a $700 fork PLUS anywhere from another 150 to 300 for paint?! I know Serotta forks are the descendants of the fabulous Reynolds Ouzo Pro forks, which were arguably one of the best on the market at its time, but really $1,000 for a fork with 3 colors?! :crap: :bike: :confused: :butt:

Further, those old Reynolds forks sold in the $300-400 price range....

Moreover, I'm not convinced that a fork designed for a 250lb rider is not going to work for a 120lb rider. Granted the opposite may be true, but there are hundreds, no make that thousands of 120lb riders out there on carbon forks that are designed for 250lbers, and interestingly, you don't hear any complaints. Yes, it may be heavier than what they need, but still no complaints.

I think if serotta wants to expand its market for these $700-1,000 carbon forks, beyond the dentists that can afford to ride it now :), they need to look at either lowering the prices or coming out with a lower cost option.

edit - OK, just saw that serotta does sell the s3 fork for $500 plus the same $150 to $300 for paint. Still, that's a lot and raises the question is there a market for a $650-800 for a fork that is considered "second-tiered?"....and yes, the s3 will be considered second-tiered compared to the f3. (note - didn't see a price on the f4). Good Luck!

RPS
02-06-2011, 12:21 PM
If your dealer can not give you specific recommendation based on your current bike frame please let me know the model and serial # of frame and I will find out which fork would work best for you.

PETE
Does this suggest their applications are limited to Serotta frames? :confused:

spartacus
02-06-2011, 12:24 PM
Wow, I'm probably going to get blasted for this and hopefully not banned, but really does serotta think there is a market for a $700 fork PLUS anywhere from another 150 to 300 for paint?! I know Serotta forks are the descendants of the fabulous Reynolds Ouzo Pro forks, which were arguably one of the best on the market at its time, but really $1,000 for a fork with 3 colors?! :crap: :bike: :confused: :butt:

Further, those old Reynolds forks sold in the $300-400 price range....

Moreover, I'm not convinced that a fork designed for a 250lb rider is not going to work for a 120lb rider. Granted the opposite may be true, but there are hundreds, no make that thousands of 120lb riders out there on carbon forks that are designed for 250lbers, and interestingly, you don't hear any complaints. Yes, it may be heavier than what they need, but still no complaints.

I think if serotta wants to expand its market for these $700-1,000 carbon forks, beyond the dentists that can afford to ride it now :), they need to look at either lowering the prices or coming out with a lower cost option.

edit - OK, just saw that serotta does sell the s3 fork for $500 plus the same $150 to $300 for paint. Still, that's a lot and raises the question is there a market for a $650-800 for a fork that is considered "second-tiered?"....and yes, the s3 will be considered second-tiered compared to the f3. (note - didn't see a price on the f4). Good Luck!

Don't get it painted - save some cash and the environment.

Yeah (!), what about the cross forks. Too much road on this website and a lamentable lack of cross frame pictures and details.