PDA

View Full Version : Seven Aerios and Moots Vamoots?

hookookadoo
02-04-2011, 07:02 PM
Ok. Not asking for comparisons but will accept comparisons. Also, understand that my experiences may differ from yours but would love any feedback anyone has on these two frames. The Moots would be bought used while the Seven would be a brand new 2006 frame. I'm assuming the Moots is in "as-new" shape.

:bike: :fight: (I know neither of these smilies fit this thread but my son wanted me to use them anyway).

maxdog
02-04-2011, 08:35 PM
I have a Vamoots sl (3/2.5) which I love. Everyone I know who owns a Seven also loves them. Conclusion; I don't think you could go wrong. Good luck with your decision.

HSG Racer
02-04-2011, 09:35 PM
If possible, test ride them at an LBS that sells them. But beware! Once you put a leg over a Moots, you may be hooked for life and never want to ride or purchase any other frame again. If I'm exaggerating, then it's only a slight one. There's something magical about the ride quality, build quality and precision of a Moots. But you would have to test ride it to find out.

:beer:

gearguywb
02-05-2011, 06:07 AM
I would try to find out who/what the Seven was built for. they offer a range of options regarding tuning, etc. May be very important if (like me) you are a 210lb guy and it was built for a comfortable ride for a 150 lb guy. (just an example).

All Moots tubing is specifice to the model and size.

soulspinner
02-05-2011, 06:14 AM
I would try to find out who/what the Seven was built for. they offer a range of options regarding tuning, etc. May be very important if (like me) you are a 210lb guy and it was built for a comfortable ride for a 150 lb guy. (just an example).

All Moots tubing is specifice to the model and size.

What he said. The 7 is a triple butted(with a weight limit advised for performance) frame while the Moots is a straight gauge whoever rides it gets this stock frame. Id definitely inquire with 7 re the serial # to see how stiff etc it is, given it fits.

oldpotatoe
02-05-2011, 07:08 AM
If possible, test ride them at an LBS that sells them. But beware! Once you put a leg over a Moots, you may be hooked for life and never want to ride or purchase any other frame again. If I'm exaggerating, then it's only a slight one. There's something magical about the ride quality, build quality and precision of a Moots. But you would have to test ride it to find out.

:beer:

Hear, Hear!!

-Moots dealer, Moots owner

hookookadoo
02-05-2011, 07:58 AM
I keep reading about the mystic quality of the Moots. Comforting to hear folks here say the same thing. Largest problem is:
i) I'd need to buy sight unseen(except for pics) and
ii) it has $1,000 in stuff (wheels, bars and stems) that I'd be paying for and then replacing. Seller won't parse out. :crap:

Good advice on the 7 and the potential customization. Good news is I will be able to ride that one and the LBS(I hope) will have the spec sheet. That's the easier purchase for those two reasons plus the whole bike will be 100% brand new and it will be much cheaper as the LBS just wants to get rid of it.

Anyone else have any experiences/views?

oldpotatoe
02-05-2011, 08:02 AM
I keep reading about the mystic quality of the Moots. Comforting to hear folks here say the same thing. Largest problem is:
i) I'd need to buy sight unseen(except for pics) and
ii) it has $1,000 in stuff (wheels, bars and stems) that I'd be paying for and then replacing. Seller won't parse out. :crap:

Good advice on the 7 and the potential customization. Good news is I will be able to ride that one and the LBS(I hope) will have the spec sheet. That's the easier purchase for those two reasons plus the whole bike will be 100% brand new and it will be much cheaper as the LBS just wants to get rid of it.

Anyone else have any experiences/views?

What size do you need? I have a Vamoots 56 that's going onto ebay tomorrow. Few years old, my demo bike. Looks new, with Reynolds fork, Record HS. Maybe 500 miles on it. I can send pics, geometry, etc.

$2099 f/f/hs. I pay shippin in CONUS.

Climb01742
02-05-2011, 08:16 AM
i've never ridden or owned a moots but i admire their commitment to ti. it can't be easy in a market obsessed with carbon and the latest/greatest syndrome to stick to what they believe in. major props for that.

hookookadoo
02-05-2011, 08:32 AM
Thanks Old Potatoe. I am a little south of that size wise. Otherwise you would have a competitive advantage as I would take great pleasure in saying I bought a Moots from an Old Potatoe!

Uncle Jam's Army
02-05-2011, 08:51 AM
Oldpotatoe, if you could make that Vamoots grow 2 cm, let me know.

rePhil
02-05-2011, 08:57 AM
I bought my Moots used from this forum. I was looking for a a Serotta, Seven, Moots, etc when a search turned up the Moots in my size. Establishing a dialog, in my case it was e mail, gave me enough trust to go for it. I will never willingly part with it.

happycampyer
02-05-2011, 11:07 AM
I rode a Moots for the first time many years ago (while on vacation, a LBS happened to have a YBB that they let me rent). I had never heard of the company, but I was hooked. I got a YBB after that and, without a test ride, followed it up with a Compact SL. Then came a Psychlo-X, a Vamoots SL and, finally, an RSL. I have not had any reservation buying a Moots without a test ride (although I did get to test ride an RSL when Matt from Moots toured through the area). If you send the frame to Moots, for $400 or so they will refurbish it and it will look brand new.

fourflys
02-05-2011, 01:23 PM
:bike: :fight: (I know neither of these smilies fit this thread but my son wanted me to use them anyway).

that's awesome!

dogdriver
02-05-2011, 01:26 PM
+1 all of the above. I'm no gifted bike handler, but the best compliment I can give a bike or a ski is that it just does what I want it to and I don't have to think about it or adapt my style to the equipment. In this context, my Vamoots (stock, 56cm) is perfect. I'd recommend it without hesitation. Some buds ride and swear by Seven, but you have to make sure that the build (custom for someone else?) suits you...

old fat man
02-05-2011, 01:37 PM
Test ride that seven extensively. Having owned an aerios and sold a fair number, I would never recommend buying it without a thorough test period. Mine wobbled at speed, as did many I sold.

Also, why has the bike been sitting around for going on 4 years...

wgp
02-05-2011, 01:39 PM
OK I am piling on here, but I own a stock Moots Vamoots and it is my daily ride - a simply outstanding bike. I also own a Parlee, which has its own magical ride qualities, but as I said, the Vamoots is my daily ride. I bought the Vamoots used right from the Classifieds here on the forum!

Never ridden a Seven so I can't comment on the Seven experience.

Oldpotatoe - post the Vamoots here in the classifieds first before you go the eBay route. It will likely go quickly and you will avoid the eBay pitfalls! I have a friend who I will mention this to, as he rides a 56cm frame and has talked with me about finding a used Moots.

Climb01742
02-05-2011, 01:42 PM
OK I am piling on here, but I own a stock Moots Vamoots and it is my daily ride - a simply outstanding bike. I also own a Parlee, which has its own magical ride qualities, but as I said, the Vamoots is my daily ride.

would you mind comparing the two? i'd be curious about the differences and personalities. thanks!

wgp
02-05-2011, 02:17 PM
Climb01742 - I make no claim to descriptive eloquence or significant experience across a number of brands (and frame materials), so it is hard for me to accurately and comprehensively detail their differences. The carbon "smoothness" seems to flow and absorb, whereas I am more aware of the Ti's reaction to the road. I'm going to guess their differences are due mainly to the properties of their respective frame materials - no s**t, right?!!? But I also think their geometries are different enough that this too is a factor. BTW, both are stock frames, so neither was custom-built to my measurements.

A significant intervening variable affecting their ride is likely the wheels associated with each. The Moots Ti frame has Campy wheels (aluminum I believe) under it (Eurus or Shamals) vs the Parlee's carbon frame has Reynolds carbon wheels. All wheels are clinchers. I have ridden the Parlee with both of the Campy wheesets, but never the Moots with the carbon wheels. I should try that out! Both are otherwise identically equipped with Campy components.

See this too; it seems that Ti-Boy (who owns both bikes) also agrees:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=52642

hookookadoo
02-05-2011, 02:31 PM
Test ride that seven extensively. Having owned an aerios and sold a fair number, I would never recommend buying it without a thorough test period. Mine wobbled at speed, as did many I sold.

Hmmmm....interesting to know. Does that suggest they made the tubes too thin? You think I will feel the wobble if I get it up to 25 or 30 mph?

Its more of a family-oriented LBS that tried a run with 7 frames that didn't work. Apparently they bought some "stock" aerios frames and this is the last of the mohicans. Does that make sense because the best I can tell it only came in custom? For perspective, the rest of the store is Specialized and I am talking like 50-75 Specialized in stock from Kids-Adult. So this one is definitely out of place but its a good LBS. They are not pushing it on me. I just stumbled across it.

fourflys
02-05-2011, 02:32 PM

that would be enough for me to get the Moots... just sayin'... I've NEVER heard a bad word about a Moots...

texbike
02-05-2011, 04:30 PM
Another Moots lover here. I spent 3 hours on my Vamoots this morning and it was fantastic. I wouldn't say that it is the best accelerating or handling bike that I own (that award would go to my Fina Estampa), but it is probably the bike that I would keep if I could only have one bike. It's a great all-rounder and nice to look at as well.

Texbike

tuscanyswe
02-05-2011, 04:52 PM
Ive not owned a seven but a couple of other ti bikes. Moots is my favorite so far. I really like it!

oldpotatoe
02-05-2011, 06:51 PM

"Mine wobbled at speed, as did many I sold."

Really? Not saying they didn't but 'many' shook? That ain't good.

oldpotatoe
02-05-2011, 06:53 PM
OK I am piling on here, but I own a stock Moots Vamoots and it is my daily ride - a simply outstanding bike. I also own a Parlee, which has its own magical ride qualities, but as I said, the Vamoots is my daily ride. I bought the Vamoots used right from the Classifieds here on the forum!

Never ridden a Seven so I can't comment on the Seven experience.

Oldpotatoe - post the Vamoots here in the classifieds first before you go the eBay route. It will likely go quickly and you will avoid the eBay pitfalls! I have a friend who I will mention this to, as he rides a 56cm frame and has talked with me about finding a used Moots.

Well, according to the classified bylaws, I can't post the frame. Am a bike shop, ain't a Serotta..etc.

"If you are a retailer or manufacturer, you may not advertise your products or services on this forum.(exception for Serotta Dealers with permission)"

wgp
02-06-2011, 11:24 AM
Well, according to the classified bylaws, I can't post the frame. Am a bike shop, ain't a Serotta..etc.

"If you are a retailer or manufacturer, you may not advertise your products or services on this forum.(exception for Serotta Dealers with permission)"

Whoops didn't know that! Oh well, no doubt selling on the Serotta forum beats eBay hands down. Sorry you can't make use of it.

BTW, I'll alert my friend to your listing it on eBay. As I said, he's been dying for a Moots after seeing mine for the last few years!

sashae
02-06-2011, 11:38 AM
I can attest to the overall 'goodness' of Moots. I've got tons of miles on my Vamoots and raced my PsychloX last fall, and wouldn't willingly part with either bike. I've ridden a bunch of Ti, but for whatever reason Moots do it for me over anything else. I'd be hard pressed to tell someone not to get one, especially since they visually don't seem to age (the Vam is an '03, the Psychlo an '07 and they basically look identical in terms of use.)

alpsantos
02-06-2011, 03:21 PM
Life's too short....get a Moots! :)

KevinPak
02-06-2011, 03:41 PM
Never been on Ti so here's the question..
How's the ride quality ? Especially w/ Moots ?

oldpotatoe
02-07-2011, 07:50 AM
Never been on Ti so here's the question..
How's the ride quality ? Especially w/ Moots ?

What's an orange taste like? No way to answer this. Ride quality is 100% subjective. I love the way my Vamoots rides but you may not. Got a dealer nearby that has one? Go test it.

Pete Serotta
02-07-2011, 02:34 PM
and will match the ride to any listed here....then you buy the one you like.

Moots is very nice and the folks that have one like them - - as do the folka who have the Serotta Legend ti like theirs.

Sorry if I missed anything about a Serotta but then I am biased. PETE :D

Idris Icabod
02-07-2011, 04:46 PM
I have a 59 cm Moots Compact SL that is in a box, used market is rubbish so not worth selling it. But I test rode a Seven when I bought the Moots new and my only deciding factor was I didn't like the look of the seat clamp on the Seven! I don't think you can wrong with either.