PDA

View Full Version : Comparison between Colnage Extreme Power and Meivici

Mattbotak
02-04-2011, 05:27 PM
So I have a Colnago Extreme Power that I really like but I have an issue (at least my wife thinks I have an issue, I call it an itch) with wanting to try other bikes. I'm considering getting a used Meivici but before doing so I would be interested from hearing the differences in ride quality from anyone who has had ridden both. Thanks!

John H.
02-04-2011, 06:47 PM
Do you race?
The extreme power is a race bike-

Spicoli
02-04-2011, 07:10 PM
Had a C50 in 08 and went to a Meivici in 09. Not exactly what your asking but I'll give my thoughts anyhoo. The Serotta was a much better bike IMO. Stock 55 Serotta geo. vs. a 54 Colnago was a wash to me. Both great handling bikes. For me the difference came in build qaulity, Nags are very "Euro" in that the fit and finish are much more casual. My Nag was never the straightest of bikes either, always thought the allignment was a little wonky? Tossed a few chains in sprints and silly things like that always had me thinkin??? Chippy clearcoat, bonding issues, and odds and ends not as dead on as the Meivici. The Meivici was was a touch smoother just as stiff, all with a not so over the top tubeset (forgot the make up?). Really was a perfect everyday and race bike(forever bike for most I'd say). The Nag was great but Colnago really drops the ball in the finish dept. Price????? whole nutha story. Moved on to another bike since but the C50 and Meivici will always be two of the best I've ever ridden with the nod going to Serotta in all depts. :beer:

Mattbotak
02-04-2011, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the comparison with the C50. I had the C50 for a year and really liked it but had to try the EP. Knowing the C50 it's nice to hearing the comparison. Unfortunately I can't afford multiple bikes so it's in with one and out with the other.

I'm not a racer, just a casual rider.

Spicoli
02-04-2011, 09:12 PM
Honestly, if it was coming out of my pocket, I did not race and wanted the joy of a smooth "go fast" (Race it if ya want) bike I'd more than likely be riding on a Legend Ti or another of the great Ti bikes in stock geo. You can toss it to the bottom of the ocean for 200 years, take it out, clean it, and it will ride just as nice as day one. A perfect middle ground between carbon and steel that will last forever. Most of today's "race"(hate the term) bikes are either a bit harsh or a bit fragile which are two things that are tolerated in the name of "lightest" and "stiffest" possible. Which is really more of a head game we play on ourselves for the peace of mind we wont get beat by another guy's equipment in a bike race. Silly but part of the fun I suppose? Not racing it exclusively? I say go for ride qaulity as priority #1 over all else. Every bike made these days is stiff enough for any human, pro or amateur.

Changing bikes is a blast, ride what keeps you motivated to get out daily. Even if it's a 700gr. frame or a jackhammer! All good fun!

Fixed
02-04-2011, 09:25 PM
nicely said bro
cheers
imho

John H.
02-04-2011, 11:52 PM
That is why I asked if you raced. I would say the Colnago is a full on race bike, Mevici more of a Cadillac.

SPOKE
02-05-2011, 12:26 PM
Will someone please define what a "race bike" is?????

AngryScientist
02-05-2011, 04:06 PM
Will someone please define what a "race bike" is?????

umm, the one you race on?? :banana:

SPOKE
02-05-2011, 04:18 PM
umm, the one you race on?? :banana:

Ding, ding, ding........we have a winner!

Now can you tell me why a custom Serotta or frame/fork from another custom builder is not a race bike?

spartacus
02-06-2011, 05:21 AM
Honestly, if it was coming out of my pocket, I did not race and wanted the joy of a smooth "go fast" (Race it if ya want) bike I'd more than likely be riding on a Legend Ti or another of the great Ti bikes in stock geo. You can toss it to the bottom of the ocean for 200 years, take it out, clean it, and it will ride just as nice as day one. A perfect middle ground between carbon and steel that will last forever. Most of today's "race"(hate the term) bikes are either a bit harsh or a bit fragile which are two things that are tolerated in the name of "lightest" and "stiffest" possible. Which is really more of a head game we play on ourselves for the peace of mind we wont get beat by another guy's equipment in a bike race. Silly but part of the fun I suppose? Not racing it exclusively? I say go for ride qaulity as priority #1 over all else. Every bike made these days is stiff enough for any human, pro or amateur.

Changing bikes is a blast, ride what keeps you motivated to get out daily. Even if it's a 700gr. frame or a jackhammer! All good fun!

Imagine riding a bike in my third century of life.

RedRider
02-06-2011, 10:23 AM
Let's make sure we are comparing apples to apples. If you were doing a new custom Meivici SE there would be no question that would be the better bike for every purpose. It would be tuned for your use and the geometry ideal for your body. I would argue it's not a Cadillac but rather a Mercedes that can be tuned like an AMG race car or a GT.
The used MeiVici was custom for someone else so you need to compare geometry. Which Serotta fork was used? The Colnago is an oustanding bike that is one of the best in class but you are on the Serotta Forum so you will get a slightly biased view...either way if they fit you can't go too wrong.
Just ride...

Alan Dolid
02-08-2011, 12:57 PM
I have ridden a Colnago C40 for the last 10 years. Probably have about 80k miles on it. Record 10 and Ksryium wheels. Absolutely love the bike! A few months back I got a custom Meivici with Super Record and Fulcrum 2way wheels. Love the bike! They are in many ways the same but different. Hard to pinpoint. In a nutshell, the C40 "feels" faster and a bit "livelier". The Meivici seems a bit slower in the turns, but absolutely feels rock solid going down the road. I would be hard pressed to choose one over the other. I consider myself very lucky to not only have two wonderful bikes, but to also have a wife that understands and let's me keep them both....