PDA

View Full Version : What kind of person are you?

BobbyJones
02-03-2011, 05:16 PM
I was reading another thread where somebody said "that bike is on my bucket list"

I've noticed as I've gotten older my bucket list is more likely to read more about experiences than material ownership (besides owning a late 60's big block Chevy- I don't think that one is moving off the list).

I'm curious, how about you?

Black Dog
02-03-2011, 05:26 PM
Me too. I am now more interested in the rides that I want to do and not the bikes that I might do them on. I would rather spend the money on getting to all the places that I want to ride and the good meals that follow those rides. I have the bike that I want but I have not done all the rides that I want to do. Bikes are easy to own but a lot harder to ride.

dancinkozmo
02-03-2011, 06:19 PM
a threesome :banana: :banana: :banana:

thats staying on my list ;)

fogrider
02-03-2011, 08:17 PM
Me too. I am now more interested in the rides that I want to do and not the bikes that I might do them on. I would rather spend the money on getting to all the places that I want to ride and the good meals that follow those rides. I have the bike that I want but I have not done all the rides that I want to do. Bikes are easy to own but a lot harder to ride.
so for your bucket list, where do you want to ride?
last year I was able to ride up alp d'huez! mount ventoux is next...
a custom steel bike is still no on my list.

ti_boi
02-03-2011, 08:21 PM
I still like "stuff" as much as the next guy. But now I want to see my daughter graduate from the college of her choice. :beer:

RPS
02-03-2011, 09:49 PM
I've noticed as I've gotten older my bucket list is more likely to read more about experiences than material ownership (besides owning a late 60's big block Chevy- I don't think that one is moving off the list).

I'm curious, how about you?
I know this will sound weird, but before kicking the bucket instead of material ownership I’d like to someday master material disposal – being happy with as little as possible. I have a very hard time getting rid of things even when I really don’t need or want them anymore. I know a little of this is normal but I’d like to get rid of at least half the stuff I already have; much of which just collects dust.

I now go out of my way to avoid buying things unless I know I’ll be able to part with what it replaces.

Fixed
02-03-2011, 10:03 PM
i read where gasman said no one on their death bed says they wished they had rode more it is always they wished they had spent more time with their family ..for me more time with family
sorry if i misquoted you gasman
cheers

R2D2
02-04-2011, 06:39 AM
i read where gasman said no one on their death bed says they wished they had rode more it is always they wished they had spent more time with their family ..for me more time with family
sorry if i misquoted you gasman
cheers
I'm trying my best to do both and accompany my bro' Mike on Paris-Brest-Paris. He's an ancien and although we'll start togeher he'll be up the road in a hurry. Hopefull BOTH are names will be entered in the "Great Book".

hookookadoo
02-04-2011, 07:15 AM
Great question. As I left my 30's and entered my 40's with a now 9 and 11 year old boy and girl, respectively, my desire for the latest and greatest whatever (bike, car, clothing, etc.) has faded. I think 9/11 and the recent recession were certainly catalyst or at least stepping stones to my change in attitude along with simply growing older. I now have the wisdom to honestly say a weekend with my son on a camping trip or taking my daughter out to dinner has INFINITELY more value to me than a new "whatever." That said, I still like nice things but when I buy "stuff" I buy high end, at a discount and with a 10 yr + horizon. A few examples
- I drive a 1998 BMW 528. Love it as much today as the day I bought it.
- I play a 1995 Taylor Guitar. Same thing...still love it
- I still grill my steaks on the same 1997 weber gas grill. Nothing could be finer.
- And yes I still ride my 1995 Serotta TG. It is my only road bike. Sweet joy.

Full disclosure - I am looking at a used moots and seven because my Serotta is too long for me and is painful(neck/shoulders) on longer rides. And in both cases I will be buying the bikes at half the retail cost if I pull the trigger. The Serotta goes to the grave with me though. We shall not part ways. :hello:

Happy Friday to All!

jlwdm
02-04-2011, 07:52 AM
I know this will sound weird, but before kicking the bucket instead of material ownership I’d like to someday master material disposal – being happy with as little as possible. I have a very hard time getting rid of things even when I really don’t need or want them anymore. I know a little of this is normal but I’d like to get rid of at least half the stuff I already have; much of which just collects dust.

I now go out of my way to avoid buying things unless I know I’ll be able to part with what it replaces.

When do you want me to come over? I am the master of getting rid of stuff. One of my recent successes was helping my mother move from a 2 story house (plus basement) that she had been in for over 50 years to a retirement apartment of 750 sq ft.

My wife accuses me of getting rid of things that still have value. I have nothing collecting dust - except a bike trainer.

Jeff

jlwdm
02-04-2011, 07:55 AM
so for your bucket list, where do you want to ride?
last year I was able to ride up alp d'huez! mount ventoux is next...
a custom steel bike is still no on my list.

I did a cycling tour at the 2001 tour de france and it is a great biking experience. Ride some famous climbs and watch the tour.

As my family has aged gifts are pretty much all experience gifts.

Jeff

false_Aest
02-04-2011, 08:23 AM
Hommes,

There's a part of me that feels guilty about being a kid and continually asking my parents for stuff--video games, skate boards, toys, cloths, etc.

I'm almost 30. I'm noticing my parents age (its quite frightening to me).

I have a superbe memory. I can't remember too many things they gave me but I can remember the time we spent together.

For me there's nothing better than living. Second best is feeling someone else's heartbeat when you hug them.

RPS
02-04-2011, 10:04 AM
When do you want me to come over? I am the master of getting rid of stuff. One of my recent successes was helping my mother move from a 2 story house (plus basement) that she had been in for over 50 years to a retirement apartment of 750 sq ft.

My wife accuses me of getting rid of things that still have value. I have nothing collecting dust - except a bike trainer.

Jeff
Jeff, if there is one materialistic “NEW” thing I’d put on a bucket list it would be building a shop/garage in the back yard set up to do projects, with plenty of shelving to organize things properly. Houses in Houston don’t have basements so it forces me to use the attic above the garage to store long-term junk that I may need some day. I have old bike frames, wheels, bars, etc… stored there along with some tools and other things I’ll probably never use again.

I agree with others that spending time with family is most important. The last two weekends I went over to my son’s place to help him adapt a modern engine and transmission into an old sports car. I also hope some of my engineering skills will rub off and that he may learn from me before I get too old to do those kinds of projects. I’ve learned a few things from him too. Although I don’t enjoy working on cars like I use to I do enjoy spending time with him on projects. One “minor” exception is that he’s a lot like you and doesn’t save much of anything long-term – to an extreme IMHO. The first weekend I couldn’t even find small blocks of wood we needed because he had gotten rid of all lumber from a previous project a few months ago. The second weekend I went prepared with my own scraps.

BTW, moving into a smaller retirement apartment, condo, or full-time RV which necessitated getting rid of things we’ve collected over a lifetime would be incredibly difficult. Just thinking about it feels like a nightmare. Glad you were there for your mom to help her out.

Larry
02-04-2011, 10:17 AM
Bucket list

Good health, wife, friends for the next 30 years.

One current ride 2007 CDA on cruise control. "If you build it, it will come...."
(from Field of Dreams)

Thank you a million times over SEROTTA.

djg
02-04-2011, 10:19 AM
Gee, I dunno that I have a bucket list. I want to see my kids (twins, almost 9, and a 13 y.o.) through high school and college. I'd love, eventually, to see a grandkid or two, although that's not something I think about often.

There are places I'd love to go again and places I'd love to see for the first time, but I'm not on any particular quest to go one more place before it's all done, or do one new thing before it's all done. And stuff? Eff it. There are things I want and no doubt things I'll buy -- heck, we're shopping for a fancy kitchen range right now. I reckon there will be another bike or two or three before my legs fall off and probably some skis. But these are toys, not life goals. I have a nice life and I'd like to continue in this vein for longer rather than shorter. Other than that, I don't have any real material goals for myself, other than helping my kids get started in life and making my way to a comfortable middle class retirement.

Ti Designs
02-04-2011, 12:07 PM
A bucket list would imply you're on the decline and looking for things to get/do before you kick. As far as I can tell, I'm not there yet...

dave thompson
02-04-2011, 09:42 PM
A bucket list would imply you're on the decline and looking for things to get/do before you kick. As far as I can tell, I'm not there yet...
But you were, weren't you?

Ti Designs
02-04-2011, 10:31 PM

Yeh, but I didn't let that slow me down...

RPS
02-04-2011, 10:45 PM
Putting it off closer to the end is probably a common practice; and one that may work fairly well unless you suddenly find out you don’t have as much time left as you thought.

Just saying that waiting may not always be the best solution regardless of how young you are or feel. If you can afford to bank it early why wait?

Just found out today that short of a real miracle a family member that was going to make a bucket-list-type trip with us in May isn't going to make May.

Ti Designs
02-04-2011, 10:56 PM
Just saying that waiting may not always be the best solution regardless of how young you are or feel. If you can afford to bank it early why wait?

Two ways of looking at it. When you say "bucket list" you're thinking there are things you want to do before you die. Frankly, once I'm dead (excluding the 15 years that I was dead on paper - it's a long story) I'm really not going to know the difference. Right now, making such a list would mean setting limits 'cause you don't want anything on that list to be out of reach. I'm not ready to set limits on what I can do, I'll know my limits when I reach them, at least until I try again... I live for the crazy ideas that nobody in their right mind would ever put on such a list.

fogrider
02-05-2011, 12:18 AM
[QUOTE=Ti Designs]A bucket list would imply you're on the decline and looking for things to get/do before you kick. As far as I can tell, I'm not there yet...[/QUOTE
I may not be there yet, but without goals time will keep marching on and before you know it, the opportunity may have slipped away. I'm getting near the big 50 not sure how many good years on a bike I still have.

the trick is to balance time between family, friends, work, church, and bike.

jlwdm
02-05-2011, 08:34 AM
Two ways of looking at it. When you say "bucket list" you're thinking there are things you want to do before you die. Frankly, once I'm dead (excluding the 15 years that I was dead on paper - it's a long story) I'm really not going to know the difference. Right now, making such a list would mean setting limits 'cause you don't want anything on that list to be out of reach. I'm not ready to set limits on what I can do, I'll know my limits when I reach them, at least until I try again... I live for the crazy ideas that nobody in their right mind would ever put on such a list.

Cmon, you are redefining bucket list. For many people a bucket list is really just a goals list and many of them my not be attainable. The list does not put limits on anyone and is not set in concrete (pun intended).

It is just a form of goal setting.

Jeff

forrestw
02-05-2011, 09:31 AM
[QUOTE=dave thompson]
I may not be there yet, but without goals time will keep marching on and before you know it, the opportunity may have slipped away. I'm getting near the big 50 not sure how many good years on a bike I still have.

the trick is to balance time between family, friends, work, church, and bike.

I came back to rock climbing after a decade hiatus at 47, I came back to the bike at age 50, mostly to work into better aerobic condition.

Last year I logged 5200 miles riding and having never before climbed harder than a 5.8, last week (age 54) I successfully pulled through a 5.11b/c and I'm able to manage almost any style of 5.10. I don't see myself getting weaker until I hit my 60s and plan on good quality climbing and riding 'til I die.

(My approach to balance is to keep my main focus on training, other things fit where they may; like most triathletes, I don't have much of a social life!)

AngryScientist
02-05-2011, 09:50 AM
But these are toys, not life goals.

+1 to this, i love nice stuff, fun toys, high end bike schwag, but i don't consider buying them goals really, it's just stuff.

i have quite a few cycling goals long term, but they will all be about the experience, not the bike itself.

i do love nice bike though!

Ti Designs
02-05-2011, 10:11 AM
Cmon, you are redefining bucket list. For many people a bucket list is really just a goals list and many of them my not be attainable. The list does not put limits on anyone and is not set in concrete (pun intended).

You're right, I have a different definition for bucket list and goals. I would love to race with the pros again, but at 46 it's not something I'll say I want to do before I die. I've raced with the pros, so I guess that one on the bucket list is already checked off. But who's to say I can't reach that level again? It's my way of not being reasonable...

forrestw
02-05-2011, 10:12 AM

I'm suspicious of bucket lists, often this is the type A exec who decides he wants to finish a marathon (it seems these days an ironman tri is the goal). I guess I'm also influenced by having set goals in the past and every time learned that being careful what you wish for has always been a case of too many limits on the wish.

The problem is they come into the activity, never learn the culture, complete their goal and go back to golf or on to the next item. I'm not against goals, I've got some things in my mind that are really big stretches (e.g. a route in the Sierras w/ a 10 mile approach/retreat and 2 days of solid technical climbing, so think 4-5 days 24+ hours from rescue). I've got no idea if I can ever finish this, the first go was stopped by weather and my partner messing up logistics. This said I had the most fun 3 weeks *ever* on that trip.

Where I really have problems with the 'bucket' concept are people who make a great big deal about climbing the '7 summits' (highest summit on each of 7 continents), going to great expense and 'climbing' in a style that's inexcusably hard on the environment. The people who go up Everest paying $60k to guiding services and littering the mountain with O2 bottles are my equivalent of dopers but I have more respect for dopers. Far more difficult mountains are being climbed in alpine style (single-push, no siege-style construction of camps or use of sherpas to do the heavy lifting).
</rant>

RPS
02-05-2011, 11:01 AM
Two ways of looking at it. When you say "bucket list" you're thinking there are things you want to do before you die.
....snipped.....
Precisely. In cycling terms I’d like to ride the US coast to coast with a few friends. I’d also like to ride Cuba from one end to the other along the coast taking my time to enjoy the beaches.

Chances are that neither will actually ever happen, that’s why I consider then near-unattainable. Otherwise they wouldn’t be on my bucket list -- I would just go out and do it.

rugbysecondrow
02-05-2011, 11:06 AM
Nothing wrong with have things you want to do. Too many people let time get away from them only to realize it too late. Whether it is a list, whether it is knowing to seize the moment...what matters is that you take advantage of and take the opportunities that are available. This is not complicated.

onsight512
02-05-2011, 11:18 AM
[QUOTE=fogrider]

I came back to rock climbing after a decade hiatus at 47, I came back to the bike at age 50, mostly to work into better aerobic condition.

Last year I logged 5200 miles riding and having never before climbed harder than a 5.8, last week (age 54) I successfully pulled through a 5.11b/c and I'm able to manage almost any style of 5.10. I don't see myself getting weaker until I hit my 60s and plan on good quality climbing and riding 'til I die.

(My approach to balance is to keep my main focus on training, other things fit where they may; like most triathletes, I don't have much of a social life!)

Nice. As a "rock climber in a former life", I can relate. There's a local here in Vegas, well into his 70's, that still cranks 5.11s. Once your body learns how to do it, you can climb at a consistent level for a long time. Keep having fun.

I'm currently enjoying cycling almost as much as I did climbing, which is quite a lot. Can't put my finger on exactly what it is, but they somehow seem very similar to me.

rePhil
02-05-2011, 11:57 AM
I want to be a better person. A better husband, better father, better grandpa.