PDA

View Full Version : Campy Ergo Springs

Plum Hill
02-03-2011, 03:07 PM
Getting ready to replace the "G" springs.
Was wondering if anyone has had to replace the lever return springs.
Just thought while the levers were apart....

DRietz
02-03-2011, 03:15 PM
I've done now 23 pairs of Ergos. It's one of my jobs as the grunt at the shop I work at, and I can do a pair of g-spring replacements and overhauls in a bit under 45minutes now.

I've only ever had to replace the shift lever (I assume you're talking about the one behind the brake lever) return spring once. And that was on my own pair of levers the first time I did an Ergo repair because I'm too curious when I tinker. AKA, I lost it.

old_fat_and_slow
02-03-2011, 03:52 PM
@DRietz

Can yah give a bruthah a few tips on how to replace Campy 10-spd hoods?
You can start another thread if yah wanna.

Can I leave the brifters on the bars during the operation?

Do I have to take the thumb levers off somehow, or do the hoods somehow stretch over them??

Do I have to take the thumb lever apart to get the hood off?

I know I need to use hairspray or alcohol on the inside during installation, but I haven't even managed to get a pair off without ruining them?

Help meh, help meh. Puhleez.

oldpotatoe
02-03-2011, 06:19 PM
Getting ready to replace the "G" springs.
Was wondering if anyone has had to replace the lever return springs.
Just thought while the levers were apart....

I have overhauled hundreds of ERGO levers(since about 1993). 2 things I have 'discovered', shift disc, index rings, whatever, don't wear out(attn:branford) and lever return springs don't either. I have these as well as the thumb button return spring but it's mostly shift springs and spring carriers(I use the 'ultra', fiber type, doesn't break as readily).

oldpotatoe
02-03-2011, 06:20 PM
@DRietz

Can yah give a bruthah a few tips on how to replace Campy 10-spd hoods?
You can start another thread if yah wanna.

Can I leave the brifters on the bars during the operation?

Do I have to take the thumb levers off somehow, or do the hoods somehow stretch over them??

Do I have to take the thumb lever apart to get the hood off?

I know I need to use hairspray or alcohol on the inside during installation, but I haven't even managed to get a pair off without ruining them?

Help meh, help meh. Puhleez.

Leave them on the handlebars, spray simple green inside, slide over the brake lever blade..pull back. NO need to take the thumb button off.

jeduardo
02-03-2011, 11:24 PM
If you really feel the need to use simple green to remove your hoods, and you are using a spray bottle to distribute the SG, I suggest that you be very careful to corral any overzealousness (in regard to the spray distribution/application).
Too much SG, Pedros, Finish Line or other cleaner/degreaser can very easily find its way into the Campy mechanized innards, and all that stuff may wreak havoc with the OE Campy Lithium Grease applied by the factory for proper lubrication. Though the factory tends to apply the grease quite liberally, to all the internal mechanics, IME when cleaners/degreasers interact with any specifically well greased mechanisms, bad things usually will and do occur.

Leave them on the handlebars, spray simple green inside, slide over the brake lever blade..pull back. NO need to take the thumb button off.

oldpotatoe
02-04-2011, 09:13 AM
If you really feel the need to use simple green to remove your hoods, and you are using a spray bottle to distribute the SG, I suggest that you be very careful to corral any overzealousness (in regard to the spray distribution/application).
Too much SG, Pedros, Finish Line or other cleaner/degreaser can very easily find its way into the Campy mechanized innards, and all that stuff may wreak havoc with the OE Campy Lithium Grease applied by the factory for proper lubrication. Though the factory tends to apply the grease quite liberally, to all the internal mechanics, IME when cleaners/degreasers interact with any specifically well greased mechanisms, bad things usually will and do occur.

Spray the inside to put them on. I just cut the old ones off. A wee bit inside the hood when installing isn't going to contaminate the inside of the ERGO lever to any degree.

shiftyfixedgear
02-04-2011, 09:32 AM
Second Old Potatoes view on the Ergo innards. I asked a number of Campy techs about what else might need replacement when doing an Ergo overhaul. I wanted to do just as thorough a job as they did when the shop would send a lever back to them. To my surprise, Campy guys told me the indexing gear doesn't wear out, and if there is no damage present then just do the spring carrier and the G-Springs and Bob's your mothers brother.