PDA

View Full Version : Marin County Road Rides?

mtflycaster
02-03-2011, 01:56 PM
OK guys. So I've got the place in Colorado rented out and I've finally settled into my new space in Sausalito. We've been having some nice weather of late which has put me back on my bike. Mostly been doing a loop directly from town up over Conzelman Road and back, but need to expand my horizons. Figured I'd join the Marin Cyclists club and check out the rides they promote.

Any other suggestions? Any informal group rides?

Cheers,

MTFly

eddief
02-03-2011, 03:21 PM
Berkeley club is over there a lot. They are riding to top of Tam on Friday. All rides are posted on site and they welcome visitors.

fourflys
02-03-2011, 03:45 PM
Jim Edgar , who runs the Cyclofiend website (http://www.cyclofiend.com/) is in your neck of the woods and sounds like a great guy to ride with... as many miles as he puts in, he might know a route or two...

Chris

roydyates
02-03-2011, 05:15 PM
Berkeley club is over there a lot. They are riding to top of Tam on Friday. All rides are posted on site and they welcome visitors.

The Grizzly Peak club has a weekly (every Thurs) "Duros West" ride that is just awesome! Very nice guys, nt too slow, not too fast. Pretty much a different route each week, but each is very lovely.

///Mik3
02-03-2011, 05:25 PM
By coincidence i just posted this thread a few days ago. Most of this ride is in/around Marin county ie. tiburon, corte madera, mill valley, sausalito, rodeo beach etc.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=85149

welcome to the bay! :beer:

John H.
02-03-2011, 09:22 PM
Just get a map and go crazy.
Most of those clubs are mirror wearing kooks- funny, for how many cyclists are around the club/group scene sucks.
Take the bike path toward Mill Valley- go up Mt Tam either via Hwy1 to Panoramic or through downtown (back way to Panoramic).
Or ride to Fairfax- climb Mt Tam that way or go over white hill to west marin.

fogrider
02-03-2011, 11:56 PM
Just get a map and go crazy.
Most of those clubs are mirror wearing kooks- funny, for how many cyclists are around the club/group scene sucks.
Take the bike path toward Mill Valley- go up Mt Tam either via Hwy1 to Panoramic or through downtown (back way to Panoramic).
Or ride to Fairfax- climb Mt Tam that way or go over white hill to west marin.
Do not go up tam on panoramic! narrow road, many cars...go into mill valley via bike path, get on miller to the book depot and left on throckmorton and a left into old mill park and take a left on marion to start climbing...right on the main road which takes you to 4 corners and panoramic...at this point there will be less cars and some shoulder.

continue up to pantoll station and down to stinson beach and back along the coast. other rides include the tib loop, mostly flat but good for speed work, head to fairfax and continue north to nacasio point reyes...lots of great riding.

jtakeda
02-04-2011, 12:14 AM
Don't know much about Marin cycling but I do know if you make it out to the East Bay, Fish Ranch Road and the area up there can be fun and very traffic-free.

etu
02-04-2011, 12:18 AM
used to ride with them several years back
a nice group of people, laid back and a good mix of abilities
i think that would be a great way for you to get to know the area
a lot of their Saturday rides start at Fairfax and go up north

tamjam
02-04-2011, 10:35 AM
fogrider's got the right idea, but I think the stretch of Panoramic he's suggesting you avoid is actually Shoreline hwy. you definitely don't want to ride UP Shoreline, ever. His recommended route up to 4 corners is what I prefer too. Then if you make a right at 4 corners, that's where you hook up with Panoramic. Take that up to Pantoll, down to Stinson, and back around via Rte 1. Personally, I don't ride up Panoramic after 10am, and even that's pushing my comfort level since car traffic really starts to pick up after 9am and it's a narrow winding road.

My personal favorite is the Alpine Dam loop counter-clockwise. Lots of climbing, great scenery, very little traffic. ~30 miles/2 hours. If you want specifics on the route, PM me.

If you want to venture out a little further, there's some really nice stuff past Fairfax, out to Nicasio and Olema, and Lucas Valley Rd is a nice way to loop from there back to the south.

The shop I ride with (http://www.studiovelomv.com/) has organized rides most Saturday and Sunday mornings. Saturday usually rolls out at 8am from either their shop or the MV Depot and is a moderately paced group, both guys and gals, and Sunday morning is the harder core group that gets pretty competitive. Sunday rides roll between 7:15-8am and go 3-4 hours.

pbjbike
02-04-2011, 11:57 AM
There are group rides starting at A Bicycle Odyssey on Bridgeway. Good folks you should meet at the shop too. If you ride to Pt. Reyes Station, make sure to have some buttery confections at the Bovine Cafe.

54ny77
02-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Here's the best route ever: ride your bike from wherever you're staying to Sam's in Tiburon, park yourself on the deck with a nice view, enjoy the sunshine, have a cheeseburger and a cold beer or two. Post pictures here. :beer:

mtflycaster
02-05-2011, 12:52 PM
Ya mon. Lot's of good stuff here. Fired up!

Have been to Bicycle Odyssey and Tony's helped me out. Have not checked out any of the other shops in Mill Valley, etc. yet, but will.

Actually, I've been over to Sam's by kayak from Sausalito, which was fun. Will need to try it by bike, too.

Thanks to all !!

MTFly

anomaly
02-05-2011, 11:55 PM
OK guys. So I've got the place in Colorado rented out and I've finally settled into my new space in Sausalito. We've been having some nice weather of late which has put me back on my bike. Mostly been doing a loop directly from town up over Conzelman Road and back, but need to expand my horizons. Figured I'd join the Marin Cyclists club and check out the rides they promote.

Any other suggestions? Any informal group rides?

Cheers,

MTFly
I live in San Anselmo and would be happy to show you routes from 80 miles and 3000' of climbing to 25 miles and 5000' of climbing. Look up Point Reyes loop as well as Alpine Dam loop. I can also show you some hidden gems in Marin Headlands that you probably haven't seen yet.

mtflycaster
02-07-2011, 01:56 PM
I live in San Anselmo and would be happy to show you routes from 80 miles and 3000' of climbing to 25 miles and 5000' of climbing. Look up Point Reyes loop as well as Alpine Dam loop. I can also show you some hidden gems in Marin Headlands that you probably haven't seen yet.

That would be awesome. Need to get a little fitter, though. I took the MTB up Miwoc and Bobcat yesterday. Tough climbs!

Will PM you.