PDA

View Full Version : another noobish shimano question

AngryScientist
02-03-2011, 01:07 PM
back to the cross bike i recently obtained. it has ultegra 9-sp shifters, and a triple. i would like to mount a compact double i have laying around, will triple shifters play nicely with a compact double crankset if i reset the limit screws on the fd correctly? :confused:

eddief
02-03-2011, 01:42 PM
may not feel quite as good as a double built shifter, but I have definitely done it and it works fine.

TAW
02-03-2011, 02:03 PM
yes

AngryScientist
02-03-2011, 02:04 PM
thanks all, good news indeed.

Ken Robb
02-03-2011, 03:02 PM
I thought 6500 shifters were all for use as dbl/triple.

vpierce1
02-03-2011, 03:45 PM
Just out of curiosity, would you then have an additional trim position for the FD with the added "click?"

TAW
02-03-2011, 04:39 PM
You're adjusting the FD limit screw to prevent the shifter from pulling the additional gear or "click", so you don't actually have additional trim.

oldpotatoe
02-03-2011, 06:15 PM
back to the cross bike i recently obtained. it has ultegra 9-sp shifters, and a triple. i would like to mount a compact double i have laying around, will triple shifters play nicely with a compact double crankset if i reset the limit screws on the fd correctly? :confused:

As pointed out to me by the immortal Sheldon Brown(may he rest in peace)and as I have discovered shimano sti for triple is for double as well. No problems, no degradation, works great on a double.

oldpotatoe
02-03-2011, 06:16 PM
Just out of curiosity, would you then have an additional trim position for the FD with the added "click?"

You have trim in the middle, of a triple, that is used for the big ring on a double.

AngryScientist
02-03-2011, 06:22 PM
As pointed out to me by the immortal Sheldon Brown(may he rest in peace)and as I have discovered shimano sti for triple is for double as well. No problems, no degradation, works great on a double.

as usual Peter, thanks for the expert advice, appreciate it.

Pete Serotta
02-03-2011, 06:31 PM

And oldPotatoe is an expert in my view. PETE

oldpotatoe
02-03-2011, 06:36 PM
And oldPotatoe is an expert in my view. PETE

Ya know Peter, you don't have to post things like that but you do..thank you.

Not that I am the pinnacle of information but I complement you on being so polite, thoughtful, a great MOD, sometimes a thankless job, that you volunteer for to boot.

Mille Grazie il mio amico.

TMB
02-03-2011, 06:51 PM

You know what your first mistake is here, don't you?

Shimano??

AngryScientist
02-03-2011, 07:32 PM
You know what your first mistake is here, don't you?

Shimano??

i couldnt agree more, but the budget is tight at the moment, the second something in the drivetrain breaks, its over to the italian side:)