PDA

View Full Version : OT: Audi parts source

rwsaunders
02-03-2011, 12:58 PM
I needed to replace a few parts on my '01 wagon and of course the dealer prices are meant to inflict pain. Here's a resource that I found which has an incredible amount of "recycled" inventory, and great service to boot.

www.shokan.com

AngryScientist
02-03-2011, 01:05 PM
i believe i got some stuff for my old VW through them a while ago. its good to have sources other than the dealer for certain things.

ECS tuning also has a ton of maintenance stuff at very fair prices.

rice rocket
02-03-2011, 01:16 PM
ECS is good. germanautoparts.com I've used w/ success as well.

AngryScientist
02-03-2011, 01:36 PM

and gernamfilters.com

AngryScientist
02-03-2011, 01:36 PM

and what would a guy named "ricerocket" know about euro cars?? :banana:

jeo99
02-03-2011, 02:16 PM

mmmmm, interesting question?

:beer:

goonster
02-03-2011, 02:28 PM
and what would a guy named "ricerocket" know about euro cars??
Europe has at least one major rice producing region.

rice rocket
02-03-2011, 03:44 PM
Haha.

I had a 2000 Passat 1.8T. I drove it, modified it, did 3 or 4 open track days in it @ Lime Rock and NHIS, and then realized it wasn't for me. In 40k miles, I replaced so many stupid little things like diverter valves, coolant temp sensors, coilpacks, cupholders, A/C relay...probably more stuff I forgot. Last German car I'll ever own that not a BMW, and doesn't have a full warranty.

Dad totalled it when he took it out one winter day, good riddance.

rwsaunders, you replace your control arms yet? Or coke up your turbo? ;)

TMB
02-03-2011, 04:02 PM
Haha.

I had a 2000 Passat 1.8T. I drove it, modified it, did 3 or 4 open track days in it @ Lime Rock and NHIS, and then realized it wasn't for me. In 40k miles, I replaced so many stupid little things like diverter valves, coolant temp sensors, coilpacks, cupholders, A/C relay...probably more stuff I forgot. Last German car I'll ever own that not a BMW, and doesn't have a full warranty.

Dad totalled it when he took it out one winter day, good riddance.

rwsaunders, you replace your control arms yet? Or coke up your turbo? ;)

And yet my 2000 Passat with a 3.0 V6 has clicked through 145K. I have changed the timing belt. That's it.

rice rocket
02-03-2011, 04:19 PM
You're certainly in the minority.

VW/Audi forums are all complaints of "I broke this and the warranty won't cover it, *** do I do", while the Honda forums are all people bored with their car and need ways to modify it.

And they never made a 3L V6 Passat. It's been 2.8L from 98-05, and it's been 3.6L from 07-10.

mister
02-03-2011, 04:51 PM
yeah the vw's drive pretty good atleast.

germanautoparts.com is a place i always check first...

VTCaraco
02-03-2011, 07:33 PM
I use FCP Groton (http://www.fcpgroton.com/) for parts for my Volvo. My dad is in the car business and FCP typically even beats the dealer cost that a local Volvo shop extends to him as a dealer-to-dealer courtesy. They're located in CT, I'm in VT, and can typically have my order the next day if I order before 3.
I've had a few non-OEM parts that have been sub-par, but they've even been great about replacing those for me, too.

No experience with their Audi parts, but I'd think they'd at least be worth an inquiry.

TMB
02-03-2011, 07:38 PM

VW/Audi forums are all complaints of "I broke this and the warranty won't cover it, *** do I do", while the Honda forums are all people bored with their car and need ways to modify it.

And they never made a 3L V6 Passat. It's been 2.8L from 98-05, and it's been 3.6L from 07-10.

Yes they did, at least one.

It was a factory delivery.

goonster
02-03-2011, 08:04 PM
Passat with a 3.0 V6
Maybe you are thinking of 30 valves . . .

rounder
02-03-2011, 09:13 PM

That has not been my expeience. Have an 01 A4 where the leds on the computer cluster that displayed mileage, etc. started burning out (less than 50,000 miles). It was replaced...no charge. Now have a 2011. The left front window was not going up and down right. They replaced the motor...no charge. So far, have driven A4s over 200,000 with no ugly surprises. No gripes...i would recommend them.

TimD
02-04-2011, 07:40 AM

After three new VWs in a row I married a gal who drove a Civic. Four new Hondas / Acuras later I've never looked back. Audis & Beemers look nice and I'm sure they drive well but but the "this or that broke but it was fixed under warranty" stories are endless and the $10-$20K premium hardly seems justified.

Pay no attention to the 993 in the corner.

OperaLover
02-04-2011, 07:48 PM
I need a self dimming interior rear view mirror for mmy '00 A4 Avant 2.8 Q! I sent an email to Shokan.

Thank you for this resource!

konstantkarma
02-04-2011, 09:27 PM
01 Audi S4 owner here.

I can honestly say I've never had this much fun driving before. I've had her since 11k miles, with 98k now. I've had to replace cv boots, motor mounts, rotors/bearings, and a cracked Avus wheel, but it's been worth it for the enjoyment I get from driving it. Life is too short to drive an undewhelming beige econobox. :beer:

Thanks for the link!

rice rocket
02-04-2011, 11:54 PM
After three new VWs in a row I married a gal who drove a Civic. Four new Hondas / Acuras later I've never looked back. Audis & Beemers look nice and I'm sure they drive well but but the "this or that broke but it was fixed under warranty" stories are endless and the $10-$20K premium hardly seems justified.

Pay no attention to the 993 in the corner.

Agreed, my daily driver will always be just that, a daily driver. A point A to point B car that will make the trip every time. Nothing fancy. Having a multi purpose vehicle that tries to do everything isn't my boat anymore. Would you ride your cross bike in a crit or a mountain bike race? Same concept.

And in turn, the fun car will be solely fun, even if it is a lot of work. I was dumb enough to pickup a 18 year old twin turbo rotary in pieces! Really missing my S2000 right about now.