PDA

View Full Version : Christophe Bassons on doping

fiamme red
02-03-2011, 11:36 AM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bassons-wont-judge-landis-and-armstrong

“I don’t think I was courageous not to take drugs,” the former Festina, Française des Jeux and Jean Delatour rider told Cyclingnews.

“To me, courage is all about overcoming fear, and I was never scared. I was just lucky - I’d had a balanced upbringing, lots of love in my life, and no void which made me want to dope. Refusing to take drugs was easy for me, whereas other people have things missing in their lives which mean that’s not the case. Doping is always a response to a void, a need – whether it’s for money, or success, or love, or something else. That’s why it’s a mistake to fight the war on doping in terms of health – because, if you actually analyse it, doping responds to a need there too, because you can be healthier doing the Tour de France on drugs than without anything.”

Bassons says that, while the public, media and authorities view doping in terms of “legal” and “illegal”, an athlete will often superimpose his own ideas of what is legitimate and what is not. Landis, for example, told Kimmage that, for him, doping was a means – the only means in a sport allegedly riddled with corruption – to realize a Tour de France dream.

“I don’t know why Landis had that dream, why he needed that, or indeed why he lied for all those years – you’d have to look at his upbringing, his values – but there’s always something behind it,” Bassons argued.

“Everyone has their own sense of legitimate and illegitimate, which is different from what is licit and illicit. For example, I might think it’s legitimate to drive my car at 90kph in an 80kph zone, if me being late means that my son will walk out into the school playground and not see his dad. For Richard Virenque, doping was legitimate because, for some reason, he needed the love and admiration of the public. For some riders from Eastern Europe it’s legitimate because they need money for their families – which is hard to condemn. Or a teenager might take steroids and go to the gym to pump iron because he’s uncomfortable with his body. In that case, doping serves his need – it perpetuates it too, but as far as the kid is concerned it solves his particular problem...”

“I don’t care what anyone does, as long as they don’t try to stop me from living my life, or doing my job, which is what bothered me about Armstrong. But, again, I won’t judge. With him, I think it’s obvious there was a need for success. He didn’t have a relationship with his father, and his upbringing wasn’t easy, then I think what was already a hard character probably became more and more entrenched in those ways as he got a bit of success with triathlon and then in cycling, plus money and adulation...”

1centaur
02-03-2011, 11:43 AM
That bit about Lance makes me wonder if Lance reads that and gets mad to be psychoanalyzed or thinks that this theory might be a nice way to play the press when the dam breaks.

dancinkozmo
02-03-2011, 01:28 PM
...no wonder that guy got drummed out of pro cycling; he's too centered !

GuyGadois
02-03-2011, 01:35 PM
I don't know, makes a lot of sense to me. Good read.

BumbleBeeDave
02-03-2011, 03:42 PM
That bit about Lance makes me wonder if Lance reads that and gets mad to be psychoanalyzed or thinks that this theory might be a nice way to play the press when the dam breaks.

. . . for quite a while. For instance, his Mom brought him up and meant everything to him at a very formative period in his life. Is it any wonder he ends up being attracted to women who might look a bit like her? but it's difficult to really seriously talk about it without the jokes drowning out any real conversation.

He also definitely seems to act with a bit of a chip on his shoulder a lot of the time. I've always thought he's a fascinating psychological study.

BBD

salem
02-03-2011, 08:15 PM
To roughly quote Dave Wiens, "I had too happy a childhood to ever be a true champion." It must be around 15 years ago he made this statement, and it is as true now as it was then.

soulspinner
02-04-2011, 04:46 AM
I don't know, makes a lot of sense to me. Good read.

+1

spartacus
02-04-2011, 08:13 AM
What was Freud Landis saying about Armstrong?
He was on the Kimmage couch for his intravenal session, remember?