PDA

View Full Version : OT: Inflatable Kayak Recommendations?

joelh
02-02-2011, 08:50 PM
I have never paddled, but have always wanted to give it a try. I am considering a tandem inflatable for my wife and I to use on flatwater while camping. I am looking at an Advanced Elements convertible and an Innova Sunny (at the top of the budget).

Any advise from experienced paddlers would be appreciated.

Dekonick
02-02-2011, 09:22 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068473/

:) Couldn't resist...

salem
02-02-2011, 10:05 PM
Just be aware, tandem kayaks are often referred to as "divorce boats." That said, it can be done well, but for two people just learning, it may not be the best option.

HenryA
02-03-2011, 08:55 AM
If you can carry and store a hard boat, buy one of those instead.
It'll paddle --lots-- better.

Where will you use this boat?
Small water or big lakes?
Creeks, rivers?

Might think about a tandem canoe.

christian
02-03-2011, 09:09 AM
Can't comment on inflatable kayaks, but I have a Klepper Aerius II Expedition folding kayak (effectively a skin on frame design, but the frame comes apart). Couldn't be happier with it. This summer, I'm planning on paddling from Montauk to Block Island in it. I bought it used for about $1200.

BengeBoy
02-03-2011, 11:43 AM
My son and I had an inflatable kayak for awhile - not quite as nice as the ones you pointed to. It was really quite a pain to use; we graduated pretty quickly to a "real" kayak.

It was too big to comfortably carry into a place when camping; and not really sea-worthy enough to enjoy using anywhere but the calmest of waters for the smallest of trips. Seemed like an OK thing for kids paddling around in a pond; one step up from a raft.

The folding kayaks looked like better bets to me but I have no personal experience w/a folding kayak.

xjoex
02-03-2011, 12:52 PM
I'd avoid a tandem, if there is any way to get two singles. It will make for two much happier people!

-Joe

Marcy
02-03-2011, 10:58 PM
...that said, a nice boat makes the experience more fun.
Inflatable OK. I've had a Feathercraft -- kind of a pain, and I sold it. Have a big Kevlar Necky Nootka that is wonderful (long enough so no paddle swordplay). Doubles equilize abilities (so you're not paddling way ahead of your spouse).
Have really embraced paddleboards -- very little equipment, fast, fun, and minimalist. Joe Bark in San Pedro CA is a great shaper, from custom to pop-offs -- he ships anwhere.
Paddle safe! :-)

ericspin
02-04-2011, 05:01 AM
Hey Marcy, cool to see another paddleboarder on this site. Are you paddling prone or SUP? I have bitten hard by the SUP bug. Would love to see pics of your Bark.

To the OP. Have you visited the paddling.net forum? Lots of good advice and knowledge over there for the sit down paddlers.

russ46
02-07-2011, 07:15 PM
I've kayaked off & on since the 70's. My recommendation would be to avoid the inflatable if you have a place to store a hard boat. Avoid the tandem because they are heavy & turn slow and singles are a lot more fun (for both parties). Go for a "sit in" as opposed to a sit on top, which are heavy tanks. Avoid the the one's with huge cockpits if you can get into a smaller opening. With a smaller cockpit comes a narrower boat which will be faster and no, they aren't really tippier. Bracing off your paddle is what gives a kayak stability, not a wide flat bottom.

A length of around 13' will work in most situations unless you're going to use it on large lakes or the ocean. If you're wanting to run some rivers, look for one with some rocker, which will allow you to turn easier.