PDA

View Full Version : dura ace 7900 front shifter problem

segalpin
02-02-2011, 08:26 PM
Recently with the advise of some of you, I upgraded my dura ace 7800 shifters to the new 7900 shifters and 7900 F/D. After a few rides I am very happy with the ergonomics, braking is great, but shifts to big chainring have been tricky. It has taken a few tweaks to adjust for chain rub and that seems worked out. However, I am feel it takes considerable hand pressure to shift to big ring. Especially to get it to the "click" when you know it will stay up in big ring. Anyone else have this issue with 7900? Any suggestions on what I may need to do? Will it "break in"? Thanks for any help!

oliver1850
02-02-2011, 10:07 PM

jeo99
02-02-2011, 10:42 PM
What are you using for cable housing? I have heard there can be issues if not using hi-end lubed housing.

:beer:

segalpin
02-03-2011, 05:52 AM
Using the shimano dura ace cables and housing which came with the shifters.

segalpin
02-03-2011, 05:54 AM
You don't have a cable routing snag somehow, or routed to the wrong side of the clamp bolt?

Checked all that too, thanks!

godfrey1112000
02-03-2011, 06:24 AM
I was considering the DA 7900 from the 7800 but the service person at my lbs said they were shifting great but worked out of adjustment from time to time, much more frequently than the 7800

I just purchased an frame on the Forum and it will have Sram Red, my friend has it and raves about it

so we will see

oldpotatoe
02-03-2011, 07:42 AM
Recently with the advise of some of you, I upgraded my dura ace 7800 shifters to the new 7900 shifters and 7900 F/D. After a few rides I am very happy with the ergonomics, braking is great, but shifts to big chainring have been tricky. It has taken a few tweaks to adjust for chain rub and that seems worked out. However, I am feel it takes considerable hand pressure to shift to big ring. Especially to get it to the "click" when you know it will stay up in big ring. Anyone else have this issue with 7900? Any suggestions on what I may need to do? Will it "break in"? Thanks for any help!

Swap to 5mm housing and metal(brass is best) ferrules...

For something this expensive for shimano to use 4mm housing and crappy plastic ferrules is a poor show, IMO.

BlackTiBob
02-03-2011, 08:44 AM
I have the 7900 DA group and front der seemed very difficult, like I had to throw it in very far and hold for a couple seconds.

My LBS adjusted it again where the cable to the front dr is way loose in the small ring. It has about 1/2" slack and that seemed to make a huge difference. LBS said that's just how the 7900 likes to be adjusted.

How tight is your cable to the front der?
Anybody have similar experience??

nahtnoj
02-03-2011, 09:04 AM
I was considering the DA 7900 from the 7800 but the service person at my lbs said they were shifting great but worked out of adjustment from time to time, much more frequently than the 7800

I just purchased an frame on the Forum and it will have Sram Red, my friend has it and raves about it

so we will see

I'm not sure that SRAM is any less sensitive to cable/housing quality than 7900.

godfrey1112000
02-03-2011, 09:13 AM
I'm not sure that SRAM is any less sensitive to cable/housing quality than 7900.

Here is what I am currently using and planning to install on the frame with the
Sram Red

YOKOZUNA CABLES
2011 Yokozuna Reaction Complete Cable and Housing Kit

sc53
02-03-2011, 02:56 PM
I had the same issue with 7900 when I first got it early this past summer. After several return trips to the bike shop, after problems with the big ring during 40-mile rides, the adjustment finally "took" and the shifting was smooth. I hope it hasn't gotten bad again after the winter layoff.

BdaGhisallo
02-03-2011, 05:24 PM
I have the 7900 DA group and front der seemed very difficult, like I had to throw it in very far and hold for a couple seconds.

My LBS adjusted it again where the cable to the front dr is way loose in the small ring. It has about 1/2" slack and that seemed to make a huge difference. LBS said that's just how the 7900 likes to be adjusted.

How tight is your cable to the front der?
Anybody have similar experience??

The cable is very slack when adjusted properly. When in the small ring without the FD engaged, so to speak, the cable was so loose on my bike that it would ping against the downtube over bumps. I had to put some rubber brake cable donuts on it to quieten it.

Can't imagine why Shimano designed it to be like that.

oldpotatoe
02-03-2011, 06:13 PM
The cable is very slack when adjusted properly. When in the small ring without the FD engaged, so to speak, the cable was so loose on my bike that it would ping against the downtube over bumps. I had to put some rubber brake cable donuts on it to quieten it.

Can't imagine why Shimano designed it to be like that.

I don't think they did. I have 7900 on my demo Moots RSL and the cable is not sloppy like that, shifts smoothly and well, w/o drag, doesn't drag.

Methinks it's installation error.

segalpin
02-04-2011, 11:02 PM
You don't have a cable routing snag somehow, or routed to the wrong side of the clamp bolt?

Well, it appears we routed the cable on the wrong side of the clamp bolt. We originally, we being me and my neighbor, routed the cable inside the "lip" on the clamp bolt and then straight up. Well, after reading all the posts, we moved it outside the "lip" and then 90 degrees to the right and layed it across the "notches" cut into 10 and 2 o'clock on the top of the clamp bolt. Well what do you know??? It changes the shifting completely!!!! Thanks for the tip!!! :beer: