PDA

View Full Version : Habanero Ti frames...

Dekonick
02-02-2011, 07:18 PM
Anyone ever get one? I plan on getting a nice Bedford Ti once I get my Hors back, but I have a co worker who is cheap... and I was wondering if anyone has ever tried these guys... especially their custom stuff...

at ~1300 for a custom ti frame... for someone who doesn't give a rat's ass about how welds look, or the name on the bike... why wouldn't something like this be a good deal? (again could even go cheaper and get a stock frame for ~800 or so...)

It wouldn't be in my garage... I am trying to convince my co worker to just pick up a used bike... or a new surly or something like that... when I happened to remember something about these fellers...

Anyone?

eddief
02-02-2011, 07:22 PM
Mark is a great guy, provided superb service, and got me mine on time. that said why not S3 custom from Curtlo for about the same price. love both materials, but have the feeling i would choose local S3 custom steel over generic imported ti pipes from the East.

BengeBoy
02-02-2011, 07:52 PM
I have talked to several Habanero owners who are very happy.

Another place for an inexpensive Ti frame is BikesDirect.

bike22
02-02-2011, 07:55 PM
gene spicer out of indiana used to do full custom ti for around 1200. check his site out, he still might.

Dekonick
02-02-2011, 08:06 PM
Mark is a great guy, provided superb service, and got me mine on time. that said why not S3 custom from Curtlo for about the same price. love both materials, but have the feeling i would choose local S3 custom steel over generic imported ti pipes from the East.

Agree 100% - but this isn't for me...

Moontrane
02-02-2011, 10:26 PM
Hab rider for nearly 10,000 miles. Rides great, will last until I'm struck by a Mack truck.

Mine is a 56cm frame, and the problem with it is that the bottle bosses are too low. I asked Mark about it, and he wrote that he likes them low for center of gravity considerations. Thing is, as spec'ed your bottle cage selections are limited if you want to use two cages. Mark believes that higher would be a "drastic" (his word) change from his design spec.

Simple solution is to tell Mark that you want the cages - particularly the down tube one - 1 or so cm higher. I went through several matching cage pairs to find a brand that sat high enough that the bottles didn't mash up.

Mark will work with you - enjoy the process.

tuxbailey
02-02-2011, 11:51 PM
I have talked to several Habanero owners who are very happy.

Another place for an inexpensive Ti frame is BikesDirect.

+1

I was planning to buy the BD Ti until I picked up my Merlin. Less than $2k for a Ti bike with full Ultegra...

oldpotatoe
02-03-2011, 07:48 AM
Anyone ever get one? I plan on getting a nice Bedford Ti once I get my Hors back, but I have a co worker who is cheap... and I was wondering if anyone has ever tried these guys... especially their custom stuff...

at ~1300 for a custom ti frame... for someone who doesn't give a rat's ass about how welds look, or the name on the bike... why wouldn't something like this be a good deal? (again could even go cheaper and get a stock frame for ~800 or so...)

It wouldn't be in my garage... I am trying to convince my co worker to just pick up a used bike... or a new surly or something like that... when I happened to remember something about these fellers...

Anyone?

Sold a couple, nicely made, Chinese made. Guy that owns it, Mark Hickey, good guy as well. Think it's a better deal than a $450 Surly.

Pete Serotta
02-03-2011, 11:12 AM
Serotta,Kellogg, Moots, or Ericksen are very good USA made by USA folks.

And I will bet a bottle of RED, when I am allowed to drink again, that the tubing is better from them.

PETE

:D

fiamme red
02-03-2011, 11:41 AM
at ~1300 for a custom ti frame... for someone who doesn't give a rat's ass about how welds look, or the name on the bike... why wouldn't something like this be a good deal? (again could even go cheaper and get a stock frame for ~800 or so...)It's not such a good deal, not when you can get a used titanium Serotta or Seven frame for the same price.

buck-50
02-03-2011, 11:48 AM
It's not such a good deal, not when you can get a used titanium Serotta or Seven frame for the same price.
Used is usually a great way to go, though there is the whole problem of finding one in the right size if you don't ride a 55-57...

I've not ridden a habanero, but I've heard nothing bad from the people who have.

JLNK
02-03-2011, 11:50 AM
I have 2 custom Hab road frames that would be in the 62 to 63cm range. The welds are perfect and better than some on more expensive frames. The ride is wonderful.

Auk
02-03-2011, 01:04 PM
I have the Team version of the Habanero. Amazing fame and the welds are very nice. Had it for about 11 years now and would highly recommend it.

dana_e
02-04-2011, 12:21 PM
there are lots of super cheap bikes out there, super nice ti bikes to be exact

what size does he need?

cutom is nice, if you need long top tube, short top tube, slightly different seat angle, or long headtube

if normal proportions a production style frame can work

Litespeeds art made in the US and can be had cheap

Or get a new Lynskey

Nelson99
05-25-2011, 02:57 PM
For about three years as my main road bike, and continue to ride it as my Frankensinglespeed.

The welds look great, The tubing is straight gauge, the stays are pretty and stout, the action pf the rear triangle is good, but I found the front end a bit flexy for my taste. If I got ne now I would go for a larger HT (mine is one inch). If I was going custom I would go further and get a laterally ovalized TT and the largest diameter DT he offers.

That said, the frame and dropouts are very stout and well made, and it will last forever, but it won't ride like a Serotta.

StanleySteamer
05-25-2011, 08:32 PM
Your friend should be able to buy a used Ti frame from a top builder with all the connections you have on serotta fourms. A used Legend should fit under his budget and provide better resale value than a new Habanero.

Dekonick
05-26-2011, 10:45 PM
HE wimped out and bought a Giant. :no:

He is happy... and I suppose that carbon won't rust...

:confused: