PDA

View Full Version : Cycling tours/Training camps

saab2000
05-19-2005, 02:18 PM
In July I will finally get a bit of vacation. Normally whenever I have some time off I travel back to the "old country". But this time I could be talked into doing something else.

Have any of you serious riders ever signed up for some sort of organised or semi-organised tours or training camp type things?

In 1994 while living in Europe I went on a 2 week thing in Palma de Majorca in Spain. The riding was awesome and it would have been possible to ride 100 miles every day and have just some awesome rides.

But that was then and this is now.

If I do something I am interested in something which is pretty serious and which is not just 30 or 40 miles followed by massive quantities of local food and wine. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I would like to actually maybe get into some shape.

I looked at Andy Hampsten's tour websited and that didn't really seem to be my cuppa tea.

Anyone????

PS - I have thought of just packing up the tent and going to upstate New York for a couple weeks. Cheap and the riding could be good.

dave thompson
05-19-2005, 07:06 PM
Contrary to you, my wife and I will cycle Austria this August, riding 30~40 miles a day followed by massive quantities of local food, wine and Mozart!

saab2000
05-19-2005, 07:20 PM
I admire you! I lived not far from there (Switzerland) for a long time. I might just go back and do my own little training camp! :banana:

But I am sort of looking for an organised thing for good training and lots o' fun.

I'd be into the food and drink thing if I could find something with about 100-200 km per day of riding.

Ray
05-19-2005, 08:44 PM
I've also done some self-contained and longer stuff, but one week of intensive riding is usually enough to kick my butt real thoroughly, followed by a week or so of recovery followed by a very noticeable improvement in my fitness and riding. There are a lot of camping tours out there - they haul your gear and feed you but you set up and sleep in your tent every night. A few of them stay in dorms and/or cheap motels if sleeping on the ground isn't your thing. The toughest one I've done was Pedal Pennsylvania. I did it back in '98, but it doesn't look like it's changed much. About 65-80 miles a day with one century thrown in - no days off the year I did it. Four very tough climbing days and a couple of relatively easier days. I think they're running it in late June this year. There are a lot of these things around - just gotta surf a bit. You can usually find every level of rider on these trips, from hammerheads who finish riding by noon or 1 o'clock to families with little kids who barely make it to the destination in time for dinner. Plenty of folks to hang out with.

I've gotten to where I think about 50 miles a day is a better distance for me - I can do that every day and still enjoy it. 75 per day starts feeling like a death march after 3-4 days. YMMV, quite literally.

-Ray

jerk
05-19-2005, 08:53 PM
saab,
how about an altitude training boot camp?

you and the jerk and anyother nut who wants to come will find some-place really high...rent a cottage with no phone, tv, etc. wake up every morning at 4:30, get all dressed up and go chop wood or something for an hour throw in some old school pull-ups, push-ups and calastethics, run a couple miles....eat breakfast at 6:00am....go out for a 100km in the mountains at a quick pace....spend a couple hours doing some hiking, climbing, orienteering; eat a giant lunch....go out for another 100km bike ride....come back- eat dinner, go to bed.

in two weeks you and the jerk will either be dead or ready to take out uci pro-cards again.

jerk
(note: the jerk completely stole this idea. but is really intrigued by it and wants to do it. it is either the stupidest regiement concocted since climb-os fast or the bestest regiment short of a dr. ferrari 'scrip.)

Dr. Doofus
05-19-2005, 09:56 PM
saab, jerk, and doofus

go to NH

ride Mt. Washington every day

for a month

jeffg
05-20-2005, 05:17 AM
saab, jerk, and doofus

go to NH

ride Mt. Washington every day

for a month

Mt. Washington: It's only open to cyclists as part of that absurdly priced "charity ride." :no:

Saab: If you can go to upstate NY, why not Vermont? I would stay somewhere near Middlebury and ride the Gaps, followed by some good local grub.

Europe: Why not stay somewhere like Corvara in Badia, and ride the Dolomites for a week followed by some wonderful food. If you stay somewhere like that, why do you need an organized tour? Just go out the door and decide: Sella Ring, Giau, Passo delle Erbe, Fedaia, maybe a jaunt for the Alpe di Pampeago, etc. Better yet, stay in Bolzano and take part in the Giro delle Dolomiti. I expect to see the jerk there with his BLE, spiffy wheels, and an 11-23.

http://www.girodolomiti.com/

Dr. Doofus
05-20-2005, 06:00 AM
what road?

we're riding up

Mt. Washington

the manly way

Too Tall
05-20-2005, 06:05 AM
Rent my sisters 500 yr old house in Quinson, FR. Check proximity to Ventoux and local climbs are amazing...with clean water for swimming all around AND wild boar hunting BUT damnit the wine is expensive about $5 for the good stuff.

With your connections I'd beg off organized tours however...if inclined it don't get better than Haldeman's PAC tour. They have the "Eastern Mountain Tour" in July: Atlanta, Georgia to Portland, Maine
16 days, 110 miles per day. It's a butt kicker for sure. www.pactour.com

Tom
05-20-2005, 06:19 AM
I'm laughing here because I get all excited about riding the Highlander... which would be an easy day on the Eastern Mountain tour!

saab2000
05-20-2005, 06:32 AM
I am thinking of camping in Switzerland anyway and doing all the big passes there: Gotthard, Nufenen, Furka, etc. But climbing all the time is not my bag unfortunately. I have to really drag myself up those hills.

I only climb well when I am in race shape and I am not even close. I could hang in some fast rides now if they were flat, but nothing with any significant hills.

The place that really interests me is Italy. I lived across the border in Switzerland for 2 years (2 years in Lugano) and I loved it there. I guess I could probly go there and stay in Lugano and go across the border every day. The Lombardia area is right there.

Plus, I know a hottie in Como...... Hmmmmm..... :D

CalfeeFly
05-20-2005, 07:30 AM
I've done it a number of times and I've always been happy. Unlike some other touring companies you get a real support mechanic with real tools, stocked with parts and knowledge. You stay at motels or dorms. Bill McCoach works very hard to get the new suite dorms and air conditioned ones.

The web site is: Pedal PA (http://www.pedalpa.com)

The mileage varies a little due to hitting the right stops. Plus don't forget early on you are crossing the Allegheny Mountains. The first day (not the optional tune-up) and we would always lose some people not used to so much climbing. Once we clear the bulk of the Allegheny Mountains the daily mileage picks up. Around Johnstown and Bedford should you want to go out are great mountains to "suffer" while you enjoy them. The price is reasonable since there are no tents, 3 meals a day and virtually nothing to do on your own. You just ride. I know Bill and if you want to go back out on a shorter day he wouldn't care. Just take your cell phone if you need help.

Here is the itinerary.
Saturday, June 25
Meet at University of Pittsburgh, Greensburg
Mileage: 25 (optional)
We begin our tour at the University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg. Saturday includes check in and cue sheets for an optional tune-up ride on your own, giving you a chance to stretch your legs, meet other tour participants and see a bit of the area. Following dinner, you’ll get a chance to meet the Pedal PA staff, hear about the first day’s ride and get acquainted at an ice cream social.

Sunday, June 26
To: University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown, Johnstown
Mileage: 52
Our route to Johnstown gives you a taste of the western Pennsylvania mountains, the small towns, fast descents and history of that characterizes the commonwealth. You’ll be touring through the beautiful Laurel Highlands of western Pennsylvania.

Monday, June 27
To: Best Western, Bedford
Mileage: 53
On the way out of Johnstown, we’ll stop at the Johnstown Flood Memorial, see Blue Knob State Park and go through many small towns with country stores. Our route takes us into historic Bedford, home of the Cannondale Bicycle production facility. For a change of pace, the overnight stay will be in the Best Western, which features an outdoor pool and a large outdoor hot tub you can use to ease your aching muscles. Since this is the shortest mileage day of the tour, we planned additional routes on the backroads that show off the covered bridges that Bedford is also known for.

Tuesday, June 28
To: Shippensburg University, Shippensburg
Mileage: 88
The longest day of your week features many things, including long climbs, a mountaintop lake and small towns with interesting names, such as Burnt Cabins. One of the highlights will be a route using the Super Highway Trail, also known as the Bike Pike, along the original Pennsylvania Turnpike. The trail features two of the original tunnels used until the late 1960s to move traffic through the mountain passes. A half day riding option is available here if the terrain and/or the miles are more than you are ready for. All in all, the day’s mileage should inspire you to think of France…think Alpe d'Huez.

Wednesday, June 29
To: Elizabethtown College, Elizabethtown
Mileage: 75
Our ride today takes us through beautiful Michaux State Forest, which was once owned by iron companies whose furnaces made cannonballs used in the Revolutionary War, and which also houses 39 miles of the famous Appalachian Trail. Once through Michaux, we cross the Susquehanna River and ride into quaint Elizabethtown, which features a beautiful college setting and an active Main Street atmosphere for dining, shopping and relaxing.

Thursday, June 30
To: West Chester University, West Chester
Mileage: 72
We take a trip back in time as we travel through Lancaster County, home for centuries to the Amish. The Pennsylvania Dutch countryside features scenic farmlands, horses and buggies, covered bridges and rolling terrain.

Friday, July 1
To: Radisson, Valley Forge
Mileage: 62
Leaving West Chester, we ride out of the corn fields into the horse country of Chester County. Our route will pass by Longwood Gardens and Winterthur Gardens as we briefly pass through the state of Delaware and the Manayunk section of Philadelphia on our way to historical Valley Forge. Our day’s end will be in beautiful, historic Valley Forge National Historical Park. In the evening, we’ll have a cocktail hour followed by dinner and a show at Lily Langtry’s restaurant and dinner theatre.

Saturday, July 2
Mileage: 25 to 50 (optional)
Saturday is a transportation day for those returning to Greensburg. For tour participants who choose to stay in the Valley Forge area or are local, we’ll provide cue sheets for 25- or 50-mile optional on-your-own rides into Manayunk or the City of Philadelphia where you can celebrate the nation’s birthday with the annual Fourth of July festivities.

The last optional day is really a nice day. There is great riding arount there and of course you hit where we run our National Championship in Manayunk (a climb called the wall) and the roads it uses. Part of the park is closed to cars for weekends.

saab2000
05-20-2005, 07:37 AM
I will check it out. Thanks.

Dates probably don't work, but I will see what there is near the end of July, when I have my vacation.

CalfeeFly
05-20-2005, 12:16 PM
I know of other rides basically decided by how much money you want to spend. They are not short mileage by any means.

One in Canada that does Banff and such is really cool sounding. I just couldn't handle soft boiled eggs and oat meal every morning. The breakfast menu leaves something to be desired for me and there often is nothing else around. I know it is a great cyclist's breakfast...but give me good old unhealthly food.

saab2000
05-20-2005, 12:27 PM
I just contacted one of my buds back in Switzerland. He is a wierdo and insanely talented. He is part Swiss part Belgian and part South African. He speaks Dutch/Flemish/Afrikaans and of course, English. He also speaks Swiss-German.

We have had some pretty epic rides together and I am seeing if he wants to spend 2 weeks doing some major rides if I come over there.

2 years ago we climbed a pass known for its steepness and he dropped my from the get go. I was in my 23 and he had only a 21 and just powered his way for the next 12 km. No problems.

Thanks for the suggestions! That does indeed sound like what I am looking for.

cpg
05-20-2005, 12:39 PM
I'd check out www.ecycletours.com. Glenn Erickson sets up easy and hard tours. The guy is a great rider, builder and person.

Curt

Ti-Boy
05-20-2005, 01:04 PM
Last year we did a cycle Vermont tour with POMG. Group of about 15. I hooked up with another added a few miles and averaged 79 miles/day. I was lucky enough to find someone with similar abilities/goals- so you takes your chances. The tour was very well organized with great guides. Stayed at hotels and B&B's.

Best part was my wife also found a group to ride with. So we got to vacation together without having to ride together. Makes for a happier marriage with nocturnal bennies!

gasman
05-20-2005, 01:26 PM
I'd check out www.ecycletours.com. Glenn Erickson sets up easy and hard tours. The guy is a great rider, builder and person.

Curt

I'd second Erickson tours if you want to ride hard.
I have buddy who did a ride last year with them. He likes to go hard and there were plenty of hard days and plenty of food and wine at night.
He tells a good story about some young guys on the ride who were pretty fast. The leader was a former pro. One day the young guys, who thought they were pretty hot, started getting twitchy and pushing the pace. The leader rides up to them and says,"You guys want to really go ? " "Yea man, lets go !" He says, "Let's see what you've got. " He stood up and was GONE. The young bucks were smacked down and a LOT less cockey after that.
They also run tours that aren't quite so intense.