PDA

View Full Version : Washing Wool

93legendti
02-02-2011, 09:16 AM
How often do you wash your wool cycling products? I prefer to wait until there is a hint of odor (or if they're dirty). My wife washes her Ibex Shak too often, if you ask me.

I have 1 pair of Smartwool socks I bought last summer that I have never washed...

markie
02-02-2011, 09:23 AM
The socks I wash every time they get worn....

The tops can go for weeks without getting washed even with being worn every day. After a while they do not smell by themselves, but after a ride they will smell horrible.

My icebreaker stuff has done really well. Probably worth the investment.

jblande
02-02-2011, 09:28 AM
wash on gentle cycle regularly

always air dry.

smells good and lasts a long time

imho the dryer is a problem disguised as a solution

flydhest
02-02-2011, 09:31 AM
I am in the "more often" camp. With a front loader washing machine that has a very good gentle ("hand wash") cycle and very modest use of detergent, I tend to wash socks everytime (but this correlates, for me, because I have stinky feet, with Adam's "wait for a hint of odor" rule) and jerseys about every third wearing.

bike22
02-02-2011, 09:42 AM
machine wash and dry with standard detergent and the rest of my clothes.

no problems.

nb: i do not reccommend this for fancy wool sweaters, dress sweaters and the like. i do the machine wash and dry for my smart wool baselayer, and random wool and wool/syn blend socks.

there's no real need to wash wool frequently though. i wash my smartwool baselayer every 6-8 weeks with daily wear- i sleep in my baselayer and wear it all day long, so it never really comes off.

AngryScientist
02-02-2011, 09:57 AM
depends on what layer, as a general rule i like to wash any piece that is directly against the skin regularly, that goes for base layers, socks, etc. mid layers or sweaters and the like can go much longer.

thwart
02-02-2011, 10:04 AM
i wash my smartwool baselayer every 6-8 weeks with daily wear- i sleep in my baselayer and wear it all day long, so it never really comes off. Having problems with close personal relationships? People seem distant? ;) :D

gasman
02-02-2011, 10:12 AM
Socks after 1-2 wearings. Base layers, jersey after 5-10 wearings depending on how much sweat I've generated.
Everything gets washed cold, gentle and hung to dry.

Ken Robb
02-02-2011, 10:13 AM
Grant Petersen is a BIG fan of wool and he recommends and sells Kookaburra soap and strongly discourages using Woolite because, he says, it strips essential oils from the fabric.

I wash my woolies after several wearings but before they stink. I could probably double the interval without any problem.

It speeds the recommended flat-drying if you lay garment on a rack with perforated shelf to promote airflow all around.

scooter
02-02-2011, 01:29 PM
If it gets dirt in it, it gets washed. Otherwise, when it smells or starts to lose its shape. That means most items get washed once or twice a year. I use Eucalan woolwash, a Canadian product loaded with lanolin. It's available through stores like Paradise Fibers that sell yarns and the like. I generally throw items in a front loader on the gentle cycle protected by those dainty wash bags (you know - the ones you get with Assos shorts).

rockdude
02-02-2011, 01:35 PM
there's no real need to wash wool frequently though. i wash my smartwool baselayer every 6-8 weeks with daily wear- i sleep in my baselayer and wear it all day long, so it never really comes off.

1+

I do hand wash and lay flat to dry.

c77barlage
02-02-2011, 01:46 PM
I typically wash my socks after each use. Baselayers less often. I wash these based on the funk factor. Sweaters probably get washed after 10 wears or get dirty.

etu
02-02-2011, 04:45 PM
i have been using wool headbands from Rivendell for daily commuting. by Friday, there is an odor for sure...
base layers are washed after 3 or 4 wearings although my wife denies smelling any odor most of the time. she got a great sense of smell. can't fart from the other side of the house without her noticing. :o

93legendti
02-02-2011, 05:46 PM
i have been using wool headbands from Rivendell for daily commuting. by Friday, there is an odor for sure...
base layers are washed after 3 or 4 wearings although my wife denies smelling any odor most of the time. she got a great sense of smell. can't fart from the other side of the house without her noticing. :o
I have a Riv wool headband and it begins to stink faster than any other wool piece I own. I'll bet it's a wool - poly blend.

rnhood
02-02-2011, 06:08 PM
I wash my wool more often than I used to, since I now have a front loading washer with a wool cycle and use Atsko detergent (http://www.atsko.com/products/laundry-care/sensi-clean-iritation.html) . In fact I use the Sensi Clean for all my laundry now. Really good stuff. Drying, well I use my dryer on the delicate or super delicate cycle then lay the garments out to finish any drying. Real happy with the process and outcome.