PDA

View Full Version : best deals for steel

fogrider
02-02-2011, 12:39 AM
ok, for those of you that have the cash for "crazy steel", a custom limited edition serotta might be the way to go...and there are many high end steel builders and if I had the cash I would love to pick up a sachs or vanilla but are there some great deals for steel out there? something interesting would be a plus.

oliver1850
02-02-2011, 12:54 AM

Peter B
02-02-2011, 01:06 AM
Call Mike DeSalvo.

troymac
02-02-2011, 02:18 AM
Call Mike DeSalvo.
Ive corresponded with Mike before very good guy and very reasonable frame prices nice frames also.

Aaron O
02-02-2011, 02:48 AM
Cutis Wright in Philadelphia offers excellent value.

slowgoing
02-02-2011, 02:55 AM
Have a fitting to see what stock size fits. You can't beat the used market right now.

gearguywb
02-02-2011, 05:40 AM
I have a 10th Ann Desalvo that I love.

Carl Strong is a great way to go. I have been able to pick up a couple of bikes from Carl, great work and a pleasure to do business with. The value for what you receive is tremendous. Sometimes (if the fit is right) you can pick up a show bike at an even better price.....but if you are doing custom then go all the way and have it built for you. You won't be sorry.

AngryScientist
02-02-2011, 05:58 AM
Have a fitting to see what stock size fits. You can't beat the used market right now.

if you're on a budget, and you can ride a fairly standard sized bicycle, there are a lot of great deals on "super steel" to be had. i agree.

rugbysecondrow
02-02-2011, 05:59 AM
I think a TIG Bedford is a deal for the years of experience you get and the quality of work.

A Rock Lobster tig seems like a good deal as well.

Check out a custom r stock Gunnar as well. These are quality rides that will provide tons of enjoyment.

Lastly, Surly makes quite Mfew lines of bikes which are great bargains IMO. The Cross Check is a fantastic bike, lot of bike for little money.

Fixed
02-02-2011, 06:07 AM
buy used imho
cheers

dimsy
02-02-2011, 07:27 AM
kona, surly and jamis all make steel bikes that are pretty affordable and all around good rides, ESPECIALLY if utility is what you;re going for...

also, i received a buyers guide from ROAD magazine and there's a brand in there i've never heard of that does only steel as well for pretty cheap. They're called Brodie Bikes. I've never heard of em before i saw them in this guide, but i guess it wouldn't hurt investigating.

Used is another option.

bicycletricycle
02-02-2011, 07:33 AM
jeff lyon makes a handsome bike for a very reasonable price
www.lyonsport.com

rugbysecondrow
02-02-2011, 07:38 AM
Also, Curtlo just came to mind. I have not ridden one, but it seems those who have are happy and they are very reasonable.

Aaron O
02-02-2011, 07:56 AM
I would personally rather buy a used 80s-90s high end bike than a Surly, Kona, or any other tig'd Taiwanese cookie cutter. There's a lot of quality at a low price to be had with the Japanese bikes and older Treks. If you go after the smaller name euro builders...or even American customs...you can get amazing prices (and oftern higher quality) than the "name" stuff like Colnago. Also be on the look out for Lemonds (though most are tig'd). Look for some smaller names like Grandis, Scapin and Cilo. Personally I've never seen a Colnago nearly as impressive as the standard Grandis, and the Grandis will cost half as much.

A BEAUTIFUL Tom kellog with Campy record sold for $850 on ebay a few days ago (had it been my size, it would be mine). You could sell the parts, keep the frame and have something a hell of a lot nicer than any Kona out there for a hundred dollars after parting out. The other advantage is that the Kellog is unlikely to go down in price...those Jamis aren't going to be worth much in 15 years.

The area Surly, Kona, Jamis, etc. are awesome in is for folks who don't know how to buy used or don't want to work on their bikes...and there's nothing wrong with that...but if you want value, it's not the way to go. Surly is a little different because they make some really unique things (I'm thinking Pugsley and the 26 inch wheel LHT) that just aren't really available outside of modern bikes. If you're looking for a road bike though...it's not the way I'd roll.

Just watch the classifieds here...ebay...craigslist and strike.

RedRider
02-02-2011, 08:30 AM
Which steel bike is right for you?
First consideration is fit but then you need to ask yourself...
What are you going to do with it? race? ride? collect?
Why do you want steel? the ride? the artistry of the build? cheaper than carbon?
There are some amazing steel bike currently being made but there is a huge difference in the product. Just look at the NAHBS website.
On the highest priced end, you can't compare a Richard Sachs to a Serotta Coeur d'Acier. They are targeted for different customers with different goals.
There are some great deals in the second hand market but buyer beware...repaints often hide structural faults and custom bikes always sell for less because it's about fit...

eddief
02-02-2011, 08:35 AM
good looking, good cooking. stick a fork in it and you're done.

http://www.somafab.com/smoothie.html

http://www.somafab.com/extrasmoothie.html

Scott Shire
02-02-2011, 08:52 AM
Milwaukee Road (http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=11744)

Waterford-built, True Temper Verus tubing, lugged fork.
$619

Affinity 212 (http://affinitycycles.com/frames/bk212/)

Lugged 4130 frame & fork.
$600

fourflys
02-02-2011, 09:08 AM
wow OP, that's very open question and there have been tons of great responses so far...

the biggest piece of info you didn't provide was budget... it's really hard to give some options without a price range... Kirk's are fantastic bikes, but so are Gunnars for their end of the budget...

I personally would rather buy new then used as all the used bikes I've bought seem to always have some little nagging thing about them and it usually has to do with the steerer being cut... most are probably in my head, but they wouldn't be there with a new bike...

Lifelover
02-02-2011, 09:27 AM
buy used imho
cheers

If you are not going custom, clearly used is BY FAR the best way to get a cheap bike. Scan the classifieds here and on ebay. No reason you can't get a high end steel frame and fork for less than $600.

For custom there folks that are little more obscure like Curtlo that have great pricing.

If you want someone more established but still great pricing, call Slawta @ Landshark. He brazes as good as anybody.

I have one of each, although I did not get them made for me, they ride great.

A Curtlo or a Landshark used can be had for $400 or less.

Aaron O
02-02-2011, 09:28 AM
wow OP, that's very open question and there have been tons of great responses so far...

the biggest piece of info you didn't provide was budget... it's really hard to give some options without a price range... Kirk's are fantastic bikes, but so are Gunnars for their end of the budget...

I personally would rather buy new then used as all the used bikes I've bought seem to always have some little nagging thing about them and it usually has to do with the steerer being cut... most are probably in my head, but they wouldn't be there with a new bike...

This is going to sound so anal; I had a lovely orange SLX De Rosa...but the steering tube was cut too low and not many headsets would fit it. The only thing I could get on there (besides a Chris King) was a Tange Levin...and having a Tange headset on a De Rosa always nagged at me. It was like the one missing part. I think that steerer was one of the reasons I sold it.

I didn't know about OMAS headsets until recently...I think one of those may have worked.

Dekonick
02-02-2011, 10:29 AM
I would personally rather buy a used 80s-90s high end bike than a Surly, Kona, or any other tig'd Taiwanese cookie cutter. There's a lot of quality at a low price to be had with the Japanese bikes and older Treks. If you go after the smaller name euro builders...or even American customs...you can get amazing prices (and oftern higher quality) than the "name" stuff like Colnago. Also be on the look out for Lemonds (though most are tig'd). Look for some smaller names like Grandis, Scapin and Cilo. Personally I've never seen a Colnago nearly as impressive as the standard Grandis, and the Grandis will cost half as much.

A BEAUTIFUL Tom kellog with Campy record sold for $850 on ebay a few days ago (had it been my size, it would be mine). You could sell the parts, keep the frame and have something a hell of a lot nicer than any Kona out there for a hundred dollars after parting out. The other advantage is that the Kellog is unlikely to go down in price...those Jamis aren't going to be worth much in 15 years.

The area Surly, Kona, Jamis, etc. are awesome in is for folks who don't know how to buy used or don't want to work on their bikes...and there's nothing wrong with that...but if you want value, it's not the way to go. Surly is a little different because they make some really unique things (I'm thinking Pugsley and the 26 inch wheel LHT) that just aren't really available outside of modern bikes. If you're looking for a road bike though...it's not the way I'd roll.

Just watch the classifieds here...ebay...craigslist and strike.

Surly Cross check is in that same category. A fantastic do anything frame that can be had for a song and a dance...

Bob Ross
02-02-2011, 01:49 PM
you can't compare a Richard Sachs to a Serotta Coeur d'Acier. They are targeted for different customers with different goals.

Could you elaborate on that?

fogrider
02-02-2011, 03:04 PM
wow! some really great recommendations. the intent when I started this thread was in reaction to the sticky thread on "crazy steel" on this site as I would love to get something from a steel builder but I don't have the budget to afford 5k for a frame...in fact I would have to save up my bike money to afford something. I have 5 bikes now, two being steel and have been fitted many years ago, I would be interested in getting fitted again for a new bike...just to see if things have changed over the years and see if there is some way to improve on my position. so that rules out used and off the self. as for budget, as I said, I would be saving up and I'm looking for a deal but I want to pay a guy a fair price for a days work.

I think I would use the bike for training and "fast" commuting.

I've come across a few builders also:
http://www.mikkelsenframes.com/
http://www.dellasanta.com/
http://www.taylorbicycles.com/

rugbysecondrow
02-02-2011, 03:31 PM
I would not recommend Paul Taylor. I had a less than successful experience with him this year. You can PM me or search the forum for my thread on the subject.

Have fun, talk to builders and see what works. Working locally might be a great option also. Incidentally, if the build takes a fe months, you can pay a deposit now while you stockpile the cash for the rest.

wow! some really great recommendations. the intent when I started this thread was in reaction to the sticky thread on "crazy steel" on this site as I would love to get something from a steel builder but I don't have the budget to afford 5k for a frame...in fact I would have to save up my bike money to afford something. I have 5 bikes now, two being steel and have been fitted many years ago, I would be interested in getting fitted again for a new bike...just to see if things have changed over the years and see if there is some way to improve on my position. so that rules out used and off the self. as for budget, as I said, I would be saving up and I'm looking for a deal but I want to pay a guy a fair price for a days work.

soul survivor
02-02-2011, 05:06 PM
Interesting statement in this topic re Richard Sachs and Serotta CDA -- what is the signficant diffference as to the intended use of the 2 bikes that you refer to? :)

StellaBlue
02-02-2011, 05:09 PM

I'd love to hear this one myself. Or will I?????????

Aaron O
02-02-2011, 05:13 PM

One looks better on a different display pedestal?

nahtnoj
02-02-2011, 05:14 PM
Cutis Wright in Philadelphia offers excellent value.

Chris Wright is the cats name. I met him while riding a few weeks back. His work on Flickr looks solid.

Aaron O
02-02-2011, 05:17 PM
You know...I was just looking at some beautiful Curtis Inglis bikes...and both start with "c"...my brain gets tangled easily.

sjbraun
02-02-2011, 06:43 PM
Talk to Ed

http://www.edsbikes.us/

See what he did for my wife

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=82084&highlight=Suprema

Base price for a custom lugged frame and fork with a single color paint is around $1300.

hainy
02-02-2011, 08:11 PM
I really comes down to a few things when it comes to any bike:

1. Materila you prefer
2. Do you need custom fit

Wilkinson4
02-02-2011, 08:15 PM
Very very cool ed's bikes. Digging the colors. Never heard of him but one to remember.

mIKE

oliver1850
02-02-2011, 11:20 PM

anomaly
02-02-2011, 11:33 PM

There isn't a better lugged bike builder out there than Della Santa for the money. He does amazing work for the money.

Taylor is a good option if you want fillet brazed.

vjp
02-03-2011, 12:07 AM
buy used imho
cheers

This!

I have bought many great used steel bikes, including a complete Serotta built Murray 7-11 team bike (tdf lugs, light tubing) for under a grand, and a lugged Serotta SLX (possibly an 88 "HUFFY) for $350!

There are lots of deals if you can ride an off the shelf bike.

vjp

fogrider
02-03-2011, 02:11 AM
This!

I have bought many great used steel bikes, including a complete Serotta built Murray 7-11 team bike (tdf lugs, light tubing) for under a grand, and a lugged Serotta SLX (possibly an 88 "HUFFY) for $350!

There are lots of deals if you can ride an off the shelf bike.

vjp
I agree, there are many great deals out there in the used market. the two steel bikes I current have were bought used and I'm very satisfied. but a custom steel bike at a good price would be very cool...am I a bike nerd or what? I'm thinking of a steel frame built around paul racer brakes...

fogrider
02-03-2011, 02:24 AM
Talk to Ed

http://www.edsbikes.us/

See what he did for my wife

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=82084&highlight=Suprema

Base price for a custom lugged frame and fork with a single color paint is around $1300.
wow, that looks like a sweet ride! I love the fork crown. I already have a bike with nervex chrome lugs so would something with a that fork crown with tig welds be a clash? my heart is beating faster just thinking of it.

93legendti
02-03-2011, 06:16 AM
kona, surly and jamis all make steel bikes that are pretty affordable and all around good rides, ESPECIALLY if utility is what you;re going for...

...Used is another option.
Salsa as well.

Aaron O
02-03-2011, 09:30 AM
Vassago is another modern tig production steel company to look at. If memory serves, Raleigh is making some steel bikes with their old model names.

oldpotatoe
02-03-2011, 09:34 AM
If you are not going custom, clearly used is BY FAR the best way to get a cheap bike. Scan the classifieds here and on ebay. No reason you can't get a high end steel frame and fork for less than $600.

For custom there folks that are little more obscure like Curtlo that have great pricing.

If you want someone more established but still great pricing, call Slawta @ Landshark. He brazes as good as anybody.

I have one of each, although I did not get them made for me, they ride great.

A Curtlo or a Landshark used can be had for $400 or less.

Interesting bit about Landshark. Slawda built a frame for a son of a friend. Slawda says he has enough tubes for one or two more steel frames....then it's only carbon..shame.

Pete Serotta
02-03-2011, 10:18 AM
If you are close to Austin or can make it......you will see lots of steel.

PETE

BobbyJones
02-03-2011, 11:20 AM
After spending some time looking for "inexpensive steel" like Surly, Raleigh, Salsa, etc. I'll second the Soma Smoothies.

I'm currently having a love affair with a Smoothie ES (ExtraSmoothie) that may last much longer than expected.

good looking, good cooking. stick a fork in it and you're done.

http://www.somafab.com/smoothie.html

http://www.somafab.com/extrasmoothie.html

fourflys
02-03-2011, 11:58 AM
I'm currently having a love affair with a Smoothie ES (ExtraSmoothie) that may last much longer than expected.

I had one I picked up used, never got to ride it because of a crack in the weld on the bottom of the ht/dt joint...

yet another reason to buy new... the seller refunded my $$, but I think I got really lucky with that (not off the site, CL...)

Uncle Jam's Army
02-03-2011, 12:41 PM
Soulcraft for $1,700 (frame only, fork another $450) is a pretty good deal, too, for a custom frame.

alohavolley1
02-03-2011, 02:35 PM
Two other great steel values: Chris Kelly @ Kellybike.com $1200-1400 OX2 Road and the fine family at Pride Cycles in TN. This guy did work for the Lynskey family when they ran Litespeed. $650 for 4130 Chromoly. pridecyclesusa.com

Dekonick
02-03-2011, 06:34 PM
I agree, there are many great deals out there in the used market. the two steel bikes I current have were bought used and I'm very satisfied. but a custom steel bike at a good price would be very cool...am I a bike nerd or what? I'm thinking of a steel frame built around paul racer brakes...

That is my Bedford... Steel with racer brakes...

Love it!

Walter
02-03-2011, 07:22 PM
There are many great builders out there. Distance to the buyer plays a role as it is always better to get face to face with your builder. Price and wait time (if you get an honest answer) are important.

When the time came for me a couple of years ago, I dealt with Roland Della Santa, got a great bike and had a wonderful experience working with him.

fogrider
02-03-2011, 07:50 PM
That is my Bedford... Steel with racer brakes...

Love it!
how about a pic! there must have been an adjustment for the long reach of the brake...right?

slowandsteady
02-03-2011, 08:03 PM
How about one of our own - Tony Mietta (sp?)

fogrider
02-03-2011, 08:05 PM
Two other great steel values: Chris Kelly @ Kellybike.com $1200-1400 OX2 Road and the fine family at Pride Cycles in TN. This guy did work for the Lynskey family when they ran Litespeed. $650 for 4130 Chromoly. pridecyclesusa.com
kelly would not be bad with ox2 tubing...not sure if I would consider 4130 tubing. I know steel will never be as light as carbon but I'm willing to pay a few bucks for lightweight steel. I keep hearing how light s3 tubing is, but how much of premium should s3 tubing be over ox2?

rugbysecondrow
02-03-2011, 08:05 PM
how about a pic! there must have been an adjustment for the long reach of the brake...right?

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=80862&highlight=bedford

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=78997&page=3&pp=15&highlight=bedford

jlwdm
02-03-2011, 08:28 PM

I hate threads like this. A lot of names thrown out with not always a lot of substance. Do a lot of research before you decide. Too many suggestions seem to be based on price alone. A great deal is a lot more than price. Make sure you spend the money to get a great riding bike.

Only you can make the final decision but if you think about Pride Cycles (I have not seen them mentioned here before) read the thread on Pride Cycles under Bikes, Frames and Forks at Road Bike Review. 334 posts and 23,379 views.

Edit: About 30 builders mentioned so far.

Good luck and buy a great riding bike not the cheapest bike.

Jeff

rugbysecondrow
02-03-2011, 08:45 PM

Jeff

100% agree.

fogrider
02-03-2011, 10:23 PM
I hate threads like this. A lot of names thrown out with not always a lot of substance. Do a lot of research before you decide. Too many suggestions seem to be based on price alone. A great deal is a lot more than price. Make sure you spend the money to get a great riding bike.

Only you can make the final decision but if you think about Pride Cycles (I have not seen them mentioned here before) read the thread on Pride Cycles under Bikes, Frames and Forks at Road Bike Review. 334 posts and 23,379 views.

Edit: About 30 builders mentioned so far.

Jeff
Jeff I fully agree, as I've stated i'm looking for a good deal and want to pay a fair price for a day's labor. I currently have 3 road bikes, a cross bike and a track bike...I'm not looking for cheap bike but I'm not looking 5k collectors bike. I am looking for something interesting at a good price.

I also live in San Fran and sometimes commute to work. There is one steep hill that I have go down in the morning and there is a stop sign at the bottom. I pretty much have to slow down early and ease my way down...would love to have a bike with way powerful brakes...I just noticed on Paul website that they now have a medium racer brake! Or should I just go with disk brakes?

chromopromo
02-03-2011, 10:44 PM
I happen to have a typical body size and fit so never felt the need to buy a custom bike. But I love finely crafted steel frames and find them all interesting. If you don't need showroom condition, there are so many great frames you can pick-up for pretty cheap. I bought a Mondonico SLX frame a few months ago and its all a ride for now. But I am already on the look out for the next one.

gearguywb
02-04-2011, 05:42 AM

Please make sure you do your research. Value is a long term proposition. the least expensive is not allways a great value.

RedRider
02-06-2011, 12:37 PM

Richard Sachs builds hand crafted steel bikes using traditional brazing, lugs, steel fork etc...resulting is a great looking great riding bike.
Serotta's Coeur d Acier has carbon seat tubes and fork, welded and represents the latest technology in manufacture and materials resulting is a great looking and great riding bike.
An analogy, if Richard and Ben both built Porsche's in the 70s. Richard continued to build the much coveted 1972 RS Carrera. Ben continued the development and now builds the 2012 Porsche GT2. Which one is the better car? That too is debated in other forums and many collectors will own both.

dancinkozmo
02-06-2011, 02:09 PM
Richard Sachs builds hand crafted steel bikes using traditional brazing, lugs, steel fork etc...resulting is a great looking great riding bike.
Serotta's Coeur d Acier has carbon seat tubes and fork, welded and represents the latest technology in manufacture and materials resulting is a great looking and great riding bike.
An analogy, if Richard and Ben both built Porsche's in the 70s. Richard continued to build the much coveted 1972 RS Carrera. Ben continued the development and now builds the 2012 Porsche GT2. Which one is the better car? That too is debated in other forums and many collectors will own both.

the problem is most of us buyers are old, fat, slow farts who cant come close to realizing the potential any of these machines has to offer....

Aaron O
02-06-2011, 02:14 PM
the problem is most of us buyers are old, fat, slow farts who cant come close to realizing the potential any of these machines has to offer....

There's the rub :mad:

When I was fast and strong enough to truly appreciate and maximize these bikes I couldn't afford one. Now that I can afford one, I'm too old fat and slow to truly appreciate it.

firerescuefin
02-06-2011, 02:17 PM
Barring legitimate disability.....there are far too many badass old dudes for that excuse to fly.

Aaron O
02-06-2011, 02:28 PM
Barring legitimate disability.....there are far too many badass old dudes for that excuse to fly.

This would count as a great example of rude one upsmanship. Congrats...you can urinate further than I can.

firerescuefin
02-06-2011, 02:31 PM
This would count as a great example of rude one upsmanship. Congrats...you can urinate further than I can.

Aaron...I do not know you. I certainly did not mean to offend you, and I am neither old, nor overweight, but have been handed my @ss by badass old guys. Chill out brother!

Aaron O
02-06-2011, 02:42 PM
Aaron...I do not know you. I certainly did not mean to offend you, and I am neither old, nor overweight, but have been handed my @ss by badass old guys. Chill out brother!

The tone here can be rather rude...apologies if I read your statement the wrong way. You know the deal...it's MUCH harder to find time to ride with a full time job and family. I've also found that the more bikesI own, the less time I have to actually ride them. These are excuses, and I need to prioritize spending more time in the saddle.

firerescuefin
02-06-2011, 02:47 PM
I checked your profile and I have about 6 months on you....so maybe I am old :cool:

I was on the stationary trainer with my 2.5 year old on the couch watching a combo of Blues Clues and Sesame Street about 3 hours ago...so I can relate.

roguedog
02-07-2011, 12:17 AM
OP, if you're in the Bay Area, I'd definitely give Steve Rex a call. I think he's undervalued. Another one to consider is Rock Lobster. A bit farther but I'd also put Della Santa on the list.

Lots of choices in the Bay Area but if I were looking for value those it'd be the few on the local list.

Happy hunting!

Pete Serotta
02-07-2011, 06:34 AM
THanks PETE

Plenty on the thread to digest, about think about,

Please feel free to open another one as Chapter 2.

fogrider
02-08-2011, 02:07 AM
OP, if you're in the Bay Area, I'd definitely give Steve Rex a call. I think he's undervalued. Another one to consider is Rock Lobster. A bit farther but I'd also put Della Santa on the list.

Lots of choices in the Bay Area but if I were looking for value those it'd be the few on the local list.

Happy hunting!
I love my two rock lobsters; a road and cross...great handling bikes. I know I'm going to enjoy riding them for many years to come...I am interested in a different bike. Della Santa is on the list, others include steelman...I think if I were considering fillet brazed, rex would be at the top of the list...which I have not ruled out.

topher
02-08-2011, 08:30 PM
Didn't see Bob Jackson mentioned... their off the peg frames are very reasonable when the pound/dollar exchange rate is good. I have a world tour, and love it. Choice of color, perfectly smooth transaction, etc.

http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/default.php?cPath=28&osCsid=h22tlh9k8jerjrmb2u7r0c3gr5

fogrider
02-10-2011, 01:47 AM
Didn't see Bob Jackson mentioned... their off the peg frames are very reasonable when the pound/dollar exchange rate is good. I have a world tour, and love it. Choice of color, perfectly smooth transaction, etc.

http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/default.php?cPath=28&osCsid=h22tlh9k8jerjrmb2u7r0c3gr5

I've always wanted a bob jackson...and the prices of some of the those frames they have in stock are pretty good...really good. I kind of want to spend my money on a us frame, but I wouldn't mind supporting a builder in the uk either...if they where in london, I would even consider taking a trip of there to pick it up!

TeamSwami.com
02-19-2011, 09:32 AM
I would not recommend Paul Taylor. I had a less than successful experience with him this year. You can PM me or search the forum for my thread on the subject.

I second this statement. I ended up having a poor experience with Paul Taylor and now he will not return my emails.

fogrider
02-20-2011, 10:17 PM
another one I'm considering, http://alliancebicycles.com/
he was an apprentice to carl strong.

etu
02-20-2011, 10:49 PM
Eric is good guy. Learned from the best. No question about his welding abilities. My frame is back from paint and he is taking it to nabhs. I am in SF so when it's built up you're welcome to check it out.

bozman
04-02-2011, 03:11 PM
give JP a call:
http://jamesframes.com/home.html

He does not build many, it is not his full-time job, but I have a steel allrounder and I like it a lot. Almost guaranteed you will not see one in your neck of the woods.

130R
04-02-2011, 03:14 PM

Happy hunting!

rex is in sacramento

seatown7
04-03-2011, 05:57 AM
I have a Surly Long Haul Trucker, Surly Cross Check, a Bridgestone RB-1, a late '60's Raleigh Longfellow and my Atlanta.

All are excellent "bang for the buck" bikes...especially the ones I bought used.

jr59
04-03-2011, 06:37 AM
Lets see,

Spectrum, Davidson, Ellis cycles, Zanconato Custom Cycles, Dave Kirk, Shamrock cycles, Hampsten cycles, those are indeed some of my favs that are not already listed.

I have also spoken to all the guys on this list. All seem to be great guys and I wish I could get bikes from all. lol! What would I tell my girlfriend?

The others I like are already listed, and there are some good deals out there in the used market if you can fit on those.

Custom steel and Ti are what I like. You can keep all of your CF, it's just not me.

Pete Serotta
04-03-2011, 06:45 AM
Second to none and Serotta Colorado and Kelly Bedford are also good, as is Ellis. Many very nice ones out there.... Spectrum is another Lust for me. :)

PETE