PDA

View Full Version : RIP Eric Schmidt

firerescuefin
02-01-2011, 09:50 PM
Found out a couple of hours ago that a good friend...and the one that got me into cycling 13 years ago, died today of brain cancer, leaving behind a wife, a 2 month old son, and a hell of a legacy. Eric was an AC-130 gunner and later in his USAF career a B-52 pilot. I have spent the last 2 hours sitting in the dark, sick to my stomach....sad and angry. Eric loved to ride, and lent me both his high end MTB and roadbike when I started riding, kicked my ass often (early on), and loved seeing me fall in love with the sport. Now that's a good man :beer: You'll be missed brother.

rwsaunders
02-01-2011, 09:51 PM
Here's to Eric...it's tough losing a friend.

bkboom123
02-01-2011, 09:58 PM
cycling means so much to each of use, for various reasons......much love.

Cyclng means more to me than the average person

avalonracing
02-01-2011, 10:12 PM
I don't know if it is something that comes with age (I'm 43) but it just seems like I, along with many of my friends, have experienced a lot of loss over the past couple of years. It was nice to be young when it seemed like only old people and strangers passed away.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend and I hope that you and your friend's family do well in his absence.

Fishbike
02-01-2011, 10:13 PM
Peace to Eric, his family and you. Ride on carrying your memories with you.

93legendti
02-01-2011, 10:24 PM
I'm sorry for your loss. I'm sorry for his wife and son.

We had 3 orphans stay with us for a weekend last summer-boy that made me think differently about life. I was emotional the whole time.

Dekonick
02-01-2011, 10:49 PM
I am sorry for your loss.

soulspinner
02-02-2011, 05:24 AM
Hes ok now, take care of yourself and do him proud.

rugbysecondrow
02-02-2011, 06:27 AM
Sorry for your loss Geoff.

I had a friend like that, my buddy Brian who got me into Rugby when I was 19. We grew up together in our small town, he went off to college a year before me and brought this great sport back to my neck of the woods. That was the least of what he did as he was a great guy, but that sticks with me. He died a year later from cancer leaving a young bride behind. One of my great pleasures was meeting up with and playing with his old college teammates years ago. My eyes water as I type this.

Ride on brother, great friends and their memories are a treasure.

henrypretz
02-02-2011, 02:56 PM
I'm very sorry for your loss. Peace be with you and with Eric's family.

Henry

firerescuefin
02-02-2011, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the thoughtful replies. I had spoken to Eric a couple of weeks ago, and he was well aware he was up against it. Not seeing his son grow up was hard for him to imagine, and is something I hope I never have to consider. I echo what Avalon said...as I enter into my late 30's these things are becoming much to common. Certainly makes you appreciate every ride, every day, every moment. I will certainly think of Eric when I am out on a cold sunrise ride taking in God's creation.

Below is a picture of Eric while finishing up his pilot training at Randolph AFB.

Keith A
02-02-2011, 03:18 PM
Very sad and I'm sorry that you have lost such a dear friend. My thoughts and prayers are with you and his family.

rePhil
02-04-2011, 07:11 AM
Although I didn't know him, I am thankful for him. Peace to you and his family.

RABikes2
02-04-2011, 09:17 AM
So sad, sorry for your loss. Eric will be with you on your rides. Hopefully, you will be the friend to teach his son how to ride when he's old enough. Peace.

RA

FL_MarkD
02-04-2011, 09:43 AM
Sorry for your loss. I lost my best friend to brain cancer a few years ago. I still miss him, but do think about him when I am having a bad ride or just a bad day and remember how lucky I am to be able to experience life.

Mark

Chad Engle
02-04-2011, 10:14 AM
So sorry. Thankfully he has friends like you to help look after his family.