PDA

View Full Version : Campy Chorus Hub, Shimano/Sram cassette

alohavolley1
02-01-2011, 12:14 PM
Are there any other options other than the Marchisio from Clemenzo?

Wanting to use a Chorus 10 Wheelset on a Sram Drivetrain. Would really like to keep the wheels so looking for options. Would be used mainly road and a little CX.

Thanks to all.

ergott
02-01-2011, 12:45 PM
I believe this is the best option. I'm pretty sure they fit your hub.

http://www.totalcycling.com/index.php/product/parts_accessories/wheels_road/SPC_freehub_S9.html

Dave
02-01-2011, 04:38 PM
Better to swap the cassette body to a Shimano compatible version, from Campy (about $100). Reports on off-brands cassettes are rarely good.

alohavolley1
02-01-2011, 05:23 PM
Didn't know that freehub option existed. Will go that way. Thank you.

3 hours and my problem is solved. gotta love the forum.

cheers!

allenwhy
02-01-2011, 05:48 PM
jtek shiftmate works perfect for mixing and matching if you have a campy cassette...

i am using a shimano wheelset on a campy drivetrain... i feel we should swap wheels!

thwart
02-01-2011, 06:14 PM
I've used Wheels Mfg. conversion cassettes successfully several times. There's one in the classifieds right now...

Whoops, that's right... you're going Campy wheels on a Shimano drivetrain. Somewhat unusual combo, the reverse is much more common.

alohavolley1
02-01-2011, 08:36 PM
Actually, taking delivery of a Richard Sachs Cross Team bike with Sram. I wanted to still be able to use my campy wheelset for road work since I built them myself.

oldpotatoe
02-02-2011, 08:05 AM
I believe this is the best option. I'm pretty sure they fit your hub.

http://www.totalcycling.com/index.php/product/parts_accessories/wheels_road/SPC_freehub_S9.html

Depends on the era of the freehub body. Campagnolo changed the axle to a one with lobes, along with the one piece aluminum Campagnolo freehub body. The pictured freehub body is the last gen..the gent 'may' need an axle as well. Campagnolo is their wisdom, made it so the old freehub goes onto the new axle but the new one doesn't go onto the old axle. They went to the one piece freehub because lots of the 9/10s ones from 1999 and on split. I'd suggest getting the freehub body and see if it works, if it doesn't need the axle(I have them BTW-).

FlashUNC
02-02-2011, 08:14 AM
I think it was a Lennard Zinn column on VeloNews not too long ago about how SRAM will shift across a Campy sprocket just fine. May not even need to change the cogset.

ergott
02-02-2011, 08:31 AM
I think it was a Lennard Zinn column on VeloNews not too long ago about how SRAM will shift across a Campy sprocket just fine. May not even need to change the cogset.

I can confirm that that doesn't work.

FlashUNC
02-02-2011, 08:52 AM
I can confirm that that doesn't work.

I stand corrected. I was skeptical when Zinn wrote up the whole column about it. Thought it sounded a bit too good to be true, just never tested it out myself.

alohavolley1
02-02-2011, 09:16 AM
Oldpotatoe,

Good call on the axle, i will see how things go when the hub comes in. If I need any further materials, i will surely pm you.

oldpotatoe
02-02-2011, 09:19 AM
I stand corrected. I was skeptical when Zinn wrote up the whole column about it. Thought it sounded a bit too good to be true, just never tested it out myself.

What Lennard found(and he showed it to me, it did work) is that Campagnolo 10s ERGO, sram road RD and it shifted sram/shimano 10s spacing.

FlashUNC
02-02-2011, 09:36 AM
What Lennard found(and he showed it to me, it did work) is that Campagnolo 10s ERGO, sram road RD and it shifted sram/shimano 10s spacing.

That's what I get for trying to recall it from memory. Tks much.

allenwhy
02-02-2011, 02:31 PM
When I posted about it you responded saying it would not work.

Also I set it up last week... and it worked, but was clunky.

Dave
02-02-2011, 03:09 PM
Campy shifters pull far too little cable to work with a SRAM RD and cassette. I would be even worse if a Campy cassette was used.

The SRAM shifters pull 3mm of cable per shift, while Campy 10 shifters only pull 2.5mm five times, 3mm twice and 3.5mm twice. After the first five pulls, the RD would be lagging by nearly a full cog.

alohavolley1
02-17-2011, 12:23 PM
Just put switched out the freehub body with the campy part for shimano. took 5 min with the advice from old potatoe. thanks, ya'll.