PDA

View Full Version : OT: Vermont last minute xcountry ski vacation

Kingfisher
02-01-2011, 11:36 AM
Any suggestions on xcountry ski destinations/lodging/B&B's(that will accept dogs) in VT. I've finally landed a job and will probably start mid Feb, so we want to get away for a short ski vacation for a few days in VT.

jh_on_the_cape
02-01-2011, 11:41 AM
dont know how adventurous you are, but google the catamount trail.

btulloch
02-01-2011, 11:45 AM
Trapps in Stowe is pretty nice for XC skiing. I have never stayed there though, just day trips

echelon_john
02-01-2011, 12:15 PM
MountainTop Resort in Chittenden

or stay at the Dorset Inn and ski Catamount / Wild Wings / Viking

skijoring
02-01-2011, 12:18 PM
Dogs is a tough one, not sure many places actually allow them on the trails. Now, letting them stay in your room or cabin...sure. Check with Craftsbury as well, they have nice cabins.

endosch2
02-01-2011, 05:10 PM
Go to Burke. Great skiing all over. The northeast part of Vermont is a little more laid back than the rest of the yuppified state. Stay away from Stowe unless you want to be surrounded by tourists.

VTCaraco
02-01-2011, 06:46 PM
MountainTop Resort in Chittenden

or stay at the Dorset Inn and ski Catamount / Wild Wings / Viking

We're pass holders at Wild Wings and LOVE the feel of it.
With that said, I'm not sure I'd pick it as a vacation destination.
Maybe mix-it-up a bit with a day at Wild Wings (one way, classic-only, the BEST people run/own the place), Viking (another top-notch family that run the place and a great trail system -- bigger than WW but in the same snow-belt) and maybe a day at Prospect Mountain just east of Bennington (Prospect is Williams College's home course and the College bought them a top-shelf grooming machine a few years ago -- a former downhill place, so varied terrain. Place where Andy Newell (http://andrewnewell.squarespace.com/) cut his teeth, so has to have some merit :beer: )

As a side note, I don't think you could pick a better year as far as the conditions are concerned. This has been a winter of heavenly white-stuff if you're an winter-loving-outdoor-kind-of-person.