PDA

View Full Version : OT: YAY, snow / ice day today at work.

Louis
02-01-2011, 07:54 AM
I wasn't going to go in anyway, but at least this way I don't have to burn a "vacation" day. Some vacation it's going to be - slip-sliding away on the ice and shoveling snow.

As long as the power grid holds up it will all work out OK. Two more nights of sub-zero weather and hopefully that will be it for the super-cold temps this year.

AngryScientist
02-01-2011, 07:57 AM
pretty lousy in the NYC area today and tomorrow too, though not that bad. they are predicting power outages tomorrow because of lots of freezing precipitation.

i should rig a generator to my trainer...

Nooch
02-01-2011, 12:06 PM
i should rig a generator to my trainer...

OT: you know they should really market something like this where you can put power back into the grid... every little bit helps ($$ wise) so why not make that hour on the trainer help pad the wallet... I've heard of solar panels that'll actually put electricity back into the grid to the point that the homeowner had a credit on their bill!

Dekonick
02-01-2011, 01:28 PM
The Columbia Association Gym in Columbia MD has done that. 20 bikes to the grid. They don't expect to get their money back soon, but eventually they will.

Cool stuff!

http://columbia.patch.com/articles/green-bikes-at-columbia-athletic-club-energize-the-gym-itself