PDA

View Full Version : Alleycat race

fiamme red
01-31-2011, 08:47 PM
I envy the skills of these guys, but they really give a bad name to cyclists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUQ9EwXmnDg

Fixed
02-01-2011, 06:13 AM
one open door and life ends as you know it
cheers imho

Polyglot
02-01-2011, 08:36 AM
At least they are mostly without helmets, the law of natural selection, you know...

Chris
02-01-2011, 09:39 AM
morons

oldpotatoe
02-01-2011, 09:44 AM
I envy the skills of these guys, but they really give a bad name to cyclists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUQ9EwXmnDg

They aren't even riding fixies!!

Posseurs.

Blue Jays
02-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Video was completed in 2006.
Some of those guys may no longer be riding, or even alive.
Can't ride like that everyday without crashes.

patrick8037
02-01-2011, 10:34 AM
That video makes me being a messenger.

After riding in downtown traffic for so long, you almost develop a sixth sense for it.

tuscanyswe
02-01-2011, 10:51 AM
They are young and dumb. With that said, i love to cruise fast in traffic. Its just a nice feeling when having a good pace trying to find a flow.

What i think is the most dangerous with this is the fact that the guys behind the first bike through the intersections cant accurately figure out where ppl / cars are gonna go. So competing like this is just idiocy and an accident waiting to happen.

Beeing a messenger i guess i have very different mentality towards stoplight and trafficlaws than many here but i know the only time i (or pedestrians etc) get into trouble in the city is when theres another guy infront dissrupting the traffic rythm. To have no brakes in that situation is ridicolous imo. Cant skid your way out things that wasent planned for unless you are lucky, just the way it is.

drewski
02-01-2011, 11:28 AM
They are young and dumb. With that said, i love to cruise fast in traffic. Its just a nice feeling when having a good pace trying to find a flow.

What i think is the most dangerous with this is the fact that the guys behind the first bike through the intersections cant accurately figure out where ppl / cars are gonna go. So competing like this is just idiocy and an accident waiting to happen.

Beeing a messenger i guess i have very different mentality towards stoplight and trafficlaws than many here but i know the only time i (or pedestrians etc) get into trouble in the city is when theres another guy infront dissrupting the traffic rythm. To have no brakes in that situation is ridicolous imo. Cant skid your way out things that wasent planned for unless you are lucky, just the way it is.

Last night I ran into the biggest douche this side of the Mississippi. I was waiting for a light to change and make a left turn in a turn lane.
Said douche who was build like a brick house , and Mini_Lance passes my at about 20-25 miles an hour on bicycle. I was riding with 2 paniers
and they can sometimes cause me to wobble around a little bit.
Had I wobbled 10 inches to the right things could have been trouble.

Most importantly the guy ran the light. I think riding a fixie
promotes this kind of machorama on the beef patrol attitude to
cycling. I tried to catch up to him but I have a stomach bug
for 2 weeks so I am off my usual got a cath that mother blubber
pace.

Machismo = kills.

Mini-Lance if you are reading this, you have a death wish
and need to get a dose of humility.

forrestw
02-01-2011, 11:35 AM
That film is from (former) bahstan local Lucas Brunelle. He's done real bike racing as well but is better known for his film and err unconventional approach to safety in cycling, critical mass involvement ... Among his films my personal favorite is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB4sb-yTReM&feature=fvst

The reason it's my favorite is I did the same ride in late winter '08 it was a BLAST (don't try this at home, trained professional etc ...)

See http://www.digave.com

fiamme red
02-01-2011, 11:40 AM
That film is from (former) bahstan local Lucas Brunelle. He's done real bike racing as well but is better known for his film and err unconventional approach to safety in cycling, critical mass involvement ... Among his films my personal favorite is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB4sb-yTReM&feature=fvst

The reason it's my favorite is I did the same ride in late winter '08 it was a BLAST (don't try this at home, trained professional etc ...)

See http://www.digave.comTrue, his videos are almost always of high technical quality, and some are simply amazing to watch. But I think that they may have contributed to the allure of this kind of illegal and dangerous racing.

tuscanyswe
02-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Last night I ran into the biggest douche this side of the Mississippi. I was waiting for a light to change and make a left turn in a turn lane.
Said douche who was build like a brick house , and Mini_Lance passes my at about 20-25 miles an hour on bicycle. I was riding with 2 paniers
and they can sometimes cause me to wobble around a little bit.
Had I wobbled 10 inches to the right things could have been trouble.

Most importantly the guy ran the light. I think riding a fixie
promotes this kind of machorama on the beef patrol attitude to
cycling. I tried to catch up to him but I have a stomach bug
for 2 weeks so I am off my usual got a cath that mother blubber
pace.

Machismo = kills.

Mini-Lance if you are reading this, you have a death wish
and need to get a dose of humility.

For me riding fast in traffic has nothing to do with macismo maybe for some it has. Just makes me feel effeciant when doing my job.

I agree those ppl are idiots and id also like to say that tho i enjoy riding fast in traffic. I always respect other ppl! should i for some reason desturbe someones rythm or to my regret even scare someone (wich rarely happen!) cause they are not paying attention to their surroundings i always appologize or do something to show it was not my intention.

I learnt riding a bike in the city before i started enjoying road biking wich probably have giving me a different perspective than if it were the other way around. Been a messenger for 7 years or something and im yet to have an accident other then the parked car who did a you turn from the pocket with no signal. Had no chance and had every right to be furious considering i broke that fragile bone next to my thumb, but since i know i too brake the rules, i accepted his sincere appology and left it at that. I dont consider myself a jerk in traffic just cause i ignore lots of trafficlaws.

tv_vt
02-01-2011, 04:00 PM
Thought this thread was about these: :)

http://www.modcloth.com/store/ModCloth/Womens/Alleycat+Race+Leggings

Fixed
02-01-2011, 05:02 PM
For me riding fast in traffic has nothing to do with macismo maybe for some it has. Just makes me feel effeciant when doing my job.

I agree those ppl are idiots and id also like to say that tho i enjoy riding fast in traffic. I always respect other ppl! should i for some reason desturbe someones rythm or to my regret even scare someone (wich rarely happen!) cause they are not paying attention to their surroundings i always appologize or do something to show it was not my intention.

I learnt riding a bike in the city before i started enjoying road biking wich probably have giving me a different perspective than if it were the other way around. Been a messenger for 7 years or something and im yet to have an accident other then the parked car who did a you turn from the pocket with no signal. Had no chance and had every right to be furious considering i broke that fragile bone next to my thumb, but since i know i too brake the rules, i accepted his sincere appology and left it at that. I dont consider myself a jerk in traffic just cause i ignore lots of trafficlaws.
ah me a few years ago
cheers imho

Scott Shire
02-01-2011, 05:27 PM
I've watched my copy of MASH (http://vimeo.com/channels/mash) so many times it's nearly ruined.

But these guys take it a little step further and I just don't enjoy watching. Lots of cringing, mostly because they salmon needlessly when nothing else exciting is going on. When you start escalating risks simply for youtube vids... :confused:

1happygirl
02-01-2011, 05:58 PM
=Bad. Not because I care particularly about them, but because it makes it harder for non-bicycle riding society to accept bicycle riders and treat us with respect.

give respect=get respect (hopefully-if not I did my part)

Fixed
02-01-2011, 06:12 PM
=Bad. Not because I care particularly about them, but because it makes it harder for non-bicycle riding society to accept bicycle riders and treat us with respect.

give respect=get respect (hopefully-if not I did my part)

it has taken me a few years to stop being an outlaw
but everyone has to grow up sometime
imho
you know the expression old riders and bold riders ?
cheers