PDA

View Full Version : Smartwool socks

oldmill
01-31-2011, 07:15 PM
Is anyone else blowing holes in them at the rate I am, which is to say after about 5-10 wearings? I love the designs and feel, but I just realized I seem to have holes in just about every pair. Is it just my Fred Flintstone feet? I don't have this trouble with the Darn Toughs or DeFeets.

jazznap
01-31-2011, 07:21 PM
Bike specific Smartwools? I only use DeFeet wool for the bike, but I get a couple years of weekly use out of my "regular" smartwools. They get too thin to wear before I get holes.

oldmill
01-31-2011, 07:24 PM
I have a bunch of different types of Smartwools (biking, hiking etc). Once they're in the drawer I tend to lose track of which ones are for biking or otherwise, and I wear them off the bike at least as much as on.

markie
01-31-2011, 07:25 PM
I really like the DeFeet wool socks as well. I get two years or so out of mine as well when I wear them once a week.... So possibly 100 uses. Wool-e-ator, Woolie boolie and blaze are all great.

rnhood
01-31-2011, 07:25 PM
Thin or fine wool that is knitted into socks needs a supporting or strengthening structure, which I don't think Smartwool has. You need to have 15-20% or so of nylon or polyester to give it some strength and toughness. Darn tough knows this and that's why theirs are constructed this way. Thicker wool fibers don't need as much of a strengthening structure, but people want the cashmere feel. You can't have both.

I would quit using Smartwool socks and stick with Darn Tough or other reinforced wool sock.

kmla320
01-31-2011, 07:42 PM
I have a few pairs of their regular socks also with the thinning heels after only a few wearings and washings. I also had two pairs of the wool long undies for Skiing.They did not last either. So no more SmartWool for me.I use the DeFeet Woolie Boolies for cold weather cycling !

tuscanyswe
01-31-2011, 07:46 PM
Thats a verdict i dident c coming. I love smartwool sox. Granted i have only used the thicker version so that may be why i havent noticed a problem.

salem
01-31-2011, 08:09 PM
I've found similar quick wear with Smart Wool socks (the ones on my feet not are pretty thread bare), but I've had one pair of woolies from these guys for a few years now and they have held up exceptionally well. Great fit too.
http://www.point6.com/home

c77barlage
01-31-2011, 08:22 PM
I'm surprised to hear less than stellar reviews on smartwool socks. Most of mine are at least two years old and are still going strong. The same holds true with my smartwool base layers and sweaters. Maybe I'm rotating mine around enough to fend off quick wear. I'd wager each pair has well over 100 wears for biking, hiking and skiing. I do have a smartwool cycling jersey that I'm not overly satisfied with.

dogdriver
01-31-2011, 08:26 PM
Huh. I have 5 or 6 pairs of their hiking socks in rotation-- wear them for winter riding, hiking, snow shoeing and general knocking around-- and they seem to last at least a couple years before they get too thin-- usually at my nasty bunion and the heel.

gearguywb
01-31-2011, 08:37 PM
I have several pair of Smartwools. Wear them for everyday use and on the bike. Have had great luck with them over the last year or so.

Louis
01-31-2011, 08:40 PM
No problems here with SW.

I've used plenty of "regular" models over the years with no problems. This year I picked up (here from the forum) a low-cut model that I think is called PhD. I haven't used them a bunch of times, but so far so good with them also.

Based on my experiences I would definitely recommend them.

Louis

bironi
01-31-2011, 09:07 PM
Yes,

Me and my buds have worn thru the Smartwool wherever the friction occurs. I've recently switched to Darn Tough out of Vermont. Much more bang for the buck, and they are tough. They are made in Vermont by the way, and I'm in the other northern corner of the continental U.S. and have no affiliation other than a happy customer. :beer:

gasman
01-31-2011, 09:11 PM
I have drawer full of smartwool socks (12 pair or so). Some of them are at least 6-8 years old and I wear them every day from Oct-May both on and off the bike. I put on a fresh pair daily-wash them on cold,delicate and hang dry.Maybe I'm just easy on socks. I don't know but I've had no problem. I also have a couple pair of DeFeet and they also work well.

thwart
01-31-2011, 09:22 PM
Yep, great socks, but at least the model I have wear through at the heel without a lot of use.

My Nashbar Wool-e-ators (or whatever they call 'em, made of Merino wool), on the other hand, no problem... wear 'em around the house without any concern. Thin, but you can layer easily for cold rides. Just ordered 3 more pair on sale---which means I now have 6 or 7, maybe more. Find something that works, go with it, I say... :D

BobbyJones
01-31-2011, 09:25 PM
Is anyone else blowing holes in them at the rate I am, which is to say after about 5-10 wearings? I love the designs and feel, but I just realized I seem to have holes in just about every pair. Is it just my Fred Flintstone feet? I don't have this trouble with the Darn Toughs or DeFeets.

FYI - http://smartwoolexperiment.wordpress.com/

PacNW2Ford
01-31-2011, 09:39 PM
Thin or fine wool that is knitted into socks needs a supporting or strengthening structure, which I don't think Smartwool has. You need to have 15-20% or so of nylon or polyester to give it some strength and toughness. Darn tough knows this and that's why theirs are constructed this way. Thicker wool fibers don't need as much of a strengthening structure, but people want the cashmere feel. You can't have both.

I would quit using Smartwool socks and stick with Darn Tough or other reinforced wool sock.

The Smartwools I use are 24% nylon. I wear various models all day long for all activities, wash 'em, even throw them in the dryer and think they wear just fine. I've had some fancy synthetic FootJoys that hole out in days.

OBD
01-31-2011, 09:46 PM
Is anyone else blowing holes in them at the rate I am, which is to say after about 5-10 wearings? Is it just my Fred Flintstone feet? .

no.

Fred at least trims his toenails with a rock or something ;)

rice rocket
01-31-2011, 10:05 PM
Where are you getting holes?

I got 4 pairs of the cycling socks for x-mas, Departmentofgoods.com was blowing them out at $7/pair, basically threw away all my old socks. After the initial break-in period, they've been good.

Biggest change I've made though is only washing them when they stink. They're naturally odor absorbant, so it takes ~ a week of wearing to make 'em really smell (including my ~6 hours on the bike). I have a suspicion that washing kills socks quicker than just wearing them.

Ken Robb
01-31-2011, 10:47 PM
My Smartwools wear a long time. Maybe you're buying them too small. I was excited today to find a bunch of them for sale at 40% off but ended up disappointed because they were all Large and I need XL.

Blue Jays
02-01-2011, 12:08 AM
SmartWool socks have treated me well for years and are consistently durable.
If I'm not wearing shoes...flip-flops are worn so they're not rubbing directly against the floor.
I wash them on gentle cycle and let them hang-dry away from heat.

572cv
02-01-2011, 06:31 AM
partisan here, speaking up for Darn Tough socks. They are made over in Northfield, Vermont (yes, a domestic sock manufacturer!) and really do out wear everything else I have had, esp. smart wool. If you can find Darn Tough in your area, you will be pleased with their quality and comfiness factor.

Keith A
02-01-2011, 06:55 AM
Another happy Smartwool user here. I have had some of mine for many years and yes on some of my older ones I do have some thin spots, but no holes yet...but this is after many, many miles of use. I wear these all year long...even down here in Florida...I just use their thinest versions for the summer.

Great socks!

CNY rider
02-01-2011, 06:56 AM
I generally am happy with my Smartwools but the ones I hike and ski in do tend to thin at the heel.
I've recently bought a few pairs of warm socks from Boure and I am very impressed.
Very comfortable, beefy construction at least at first glance and reasonably priced.

Steve K
02-01-2011, 08:09 AM
Are the founders of Point6 the same team that started Smartwool prior to selling the company?

Steevo
02-01-2011, 08:14 AM
I've experienced normal wear from my Smartwool cycling, skiing and hiking socks. No issues so far. I will look into Darn Tough for future purchases - buying "local" is always preferred when available.

Eurorider
02-01-2011, 08:42 AM
My smartwool biking (PhD) and hiking socks have been great- they last several years. For me they tend to thin at the heels prior to getting any holes. They are odor resistant and I usually wash them weekly and either put them in the dryer or just airdry them.

PaMtbRider
02-01-2011, 08:45 AM
I've got a drawer full of smartwool socks and really like them. Based on that I bought a pair of ultra lightweight smartwool long underwear. Talk about disappointment. After only a couple uses they have holes forming all over them. My wife had an similar experience with a smartwool ultra light base layer shirt.

arcadian
02-01-2011, 09:02 AM
I have used smartwools for 15 years or so. Most have done very well, but not all. I keep most more than 3 years, some up to 6. About 25% bust within 2 years or even sooner, not sure why. I really like defeet socks, I need to try some of there wooleator socks, but my woolie boolies have been abused and have held up really well. I only had one pair last year, so they saw multiple wears per week. They have developed a small hole on the side, but they have a lot of hours.

The worst socks i used were patagnoia capaline adrenaline socks. I wore through 6 pairs in less than a year. I probably should have taken them back, but I didn't want anymore. One more thing, I think running wears socks out much faster than cycling.

Keith A
02-01-2011, 09:23 AM
Are the founders of Point6 the same team that started Smartwool prior to selling the company?Good question. Their product naming convention is certainly similar to Smartwool.

Edit: And the answer is yes...read the details here (http://business.transworld.net/7440/news/smartwool-founders-launch-new-brand/)

Clydesdale
02-01-2011, 10:11 AM
I have 4 pairs of the short phd's that I cycle with and wear as a second layer in the winter skiing and riding when it is really cold. I also have 4 pairs of the light ski socks that I ride and ski in almost daily. No problems with any of them and I absolutely love them. Sorry not everyone's experience has been as good.

Uncle Jam's Army
02-01-2011, 11:51 AM
I've got about 9 pairs of the Smartwool phd cycling socks and, other than some pilling, the socks are still going strong after 2 years. I keep my toe nails short, wash the socks in extra delicate cycle, and hang dry them, so maybe that helps extend their life.

mgm777
02-01-2011, 08:42 PM
I like Smartwool, but recently discovered Swiftwick socks, and absolutely LOVE them. They are my new go-to socks.

Bud
02-01-2011, 08:53 PM
Smartwool socks work well for me. I have some of the PhDs and others. My skiing/snowshoeing socks are also smartwool. They all seem to last quite a long time and are comfortable to me.

Perhaps fit issues for some users cause the observed wear? Too loose, too tight, etc? Different feet = different fit.

93legendti
02-01-2011, 09:34 PM
Mine get holes if I wear them around the house too much. Might be our slate floors? The ones that I use exclusively for cycling have lasted for at least 5 yrs.

wgp
02-02-2011, 06:20 AM
Add me to those who experience early "failure" - i.e. threadbare heels after < 6 months of use. I returned them to Smartwool and they replaced them, but I must say that if these wear down at the same rate I will NOT be replacing them with any other Smartwool socks. These are their dress socks by the way, NOT their cycling or hiking ones. At $17 a pair, I would expect them to last for at least a few years!

93legendti
02-02-2011, 09:13 AM
Smartwool socks work well for me. I have some of the PhDs and others. My skiing/snowshoeing socks are also smartwool. They all seem to last quite a long time and are comfortable to me.

Perhaps fit issues for some users cause the observed wear? Too loose, too tight, etc? Different feet = different fit.
The PhD's seem to hold up MUCH better...no issues with mine.

scooter
02-02-2011, 01:58 PM
I have a drawerfull of wool socks. The smartwool hiking socks have been star performers - lasting 10+ years and turning to felt before they got holy. I have some smartwool cycling socks, but I always use my Defeets (woolie boolies, blaze, etc.). Defeet fit great and I like the feel. I have two pairs of woolie boolies I boiught at a 2 for $7 sale eight years ago and they're still going strong. Just don't wash them too often.

bozman
02-02-2011, 05:17 PM
Are the founders of Point6 the same team that started Smartwool prior to selling the company?

yes.

I have several pairs of Smartwool socks for everything from hiking, running, cycling and snowboarding to a couple pairs of casual socks. No issues at all and some are years old. That said I also love my Point6 socks. They use a wool/fiber blend but they are 100% wool next to skin. Point6 is also a 1% for the Planet company for those that like that sort of thing.

93legendti
02-02-2011, 05:51 PM
yes.

I have several pairs of Smartwool socks for everything from hiking, running, cycling and snowboarding to a couple pairs of casual socks. No issues at all and some are years old. That said I also love my Point6 socks. They use a wool/fiber blend but they are 100% wool next to skin. Point6 is also a 1% for the Planet company for those that like that sort of thing.
Interesting...I just bought a pair of Point6 socks from Eddie Bauer First Ascent-I had no clue they were Son of Smartwool.