PDA

View Full Version : Bell Sweep R helmet?

BdaGhisallo
05-19-2005, 07:31 AM
Anyone using one of these new lids? I have been using a Giro Atmos for about 9 months but already the pads are disintegrating and it's proving nigh on impossible to get replacement ones.

How does the sweepR compare? I certainly like the lower cost.

Thanks.

Bruce K
05-19-2005, 08:59 AM
I tried one on the other day at the LBS.

All the little points on the back looked strange and I would have some reservations about cervical injury in a crash if they were to hang up on something.

On the other hand, it was a comfortable fit and it IS pretty cool looking.

BK

92degrees
05-19-2005, 09:20 AM
I received one for my birthday last month. I like it very much compared to the Giro I used to wear. It's very light, good ventilation, adjusts to be extremely comfortable, and is nicely finished.

OTOH, there is a little peak on the front of the helmet that extends into my field of vision and it's a little weird -- I'm sure I'll get used to it and won't notice it eventually. The padding at the front is split in the middle and sweat tends to find it's way down my forhead there. Finally, the adjustment dial works well when it's off the head, but I can't get the helmet tighter while riding -- must adjust before it's on my head.

Overall, I'm extremely pleased.

Ozz
05-19-2005, 10:45 AM
check out the Limar F111's....I've had one for a year and it is pretty nice. Good fit, easy adjustment. I paid $150, but I recently saw them on online somewhere for about $80.....don't remember the site, sorry.

bulliedawg
05-19-2005, 11:56 AM
OTOH, there is a little peak on the front of the helmet that extends into my field of vision and it's a little weird -- I'm sure I'll get used to it and won't notice it eventually.

You won't get used to it. I've been using the Ghisallo for about two years now, with the same widow's peak thing, and I still haven't gotten used to it. But I refuse to buy another helmet until this one wears out.

RichMc
05-19-2005, 12:00 PM
I've been using a Sweep R since February and have nothing but good things to say. It fits me even better than the Ghisallo and I have no problem adjusting tension while riding. Can't say anything about the sweat pads as it's so warm here that a headband is a requisite on any ride. Couldn't bring myself to spring the extra bucks for an Atmos. We can debate some cost issues for lots of different bike stuff here, I suppose, but I trust Bell with my head. A Star kept my noggin in one piece during a 75 mph motorcycle crash years ago.

92degrees
05-19-2005, 12:02 PM
You won't get used to it. I've been using the Ghisallo for about two years now, with the same widow's peak thing, and I still haven't gotten used to it. But I refuse to buy another helmet until this one wears out.

ugh. I'm also dealing with getting used to a new pair of shades playing with my peripheral vision. Chaos!

bulliedawg
05-19-2005, 12:37 PM
ugh. I'm also dealing with getting used to a new pair of shades playing with my peripheral vision. Chaos!

Sounds dangerous. Please be careful.