Ben Serotta

Jeff

phcollard
01-31-2011, 07:43 AM
Wow!

Link?

jlwdm
01-31-2011, 07:51 AM
Email. I just posted the teaser as Serotta seems to be notifying owners club first. Here is a little more.

Introducing the

2011 Limited Edition Series

Colorado VentiCinque 25 (CVC)

and the very exclusive

'Le Patron'

25 CVC
10 Le Patron

Jeff

Charles M
01-31-2011, 08:05 AM
Select finishes, un-named new tube set from Columbus for at least one of the bikes, special edition stainless drop outs,

And delivery will be a reasonable time frame...(for the very small number of people that get the opportunity)

BumbleBeeDave
01-31-2011, 08:13 AM
Does the e-mail specifically say Ben is welding these himself?

BBD

CNY rider
01-31-2011, 08:15 AM
Does the e-mail specifically say Ben is welding these himself?

BBD

Ben is doing the lugged ones.

gaxi
01-31-2011, 08:17 AM
The mail says "these will be crafted by Ben himself from Columbus Colorado tubing and Serotta's matching lugs" and "This is a limited edition series and there are no plans of re-introducing a lugged steel model to the Serotta line-up. The price of each frame is $10,000"

Lionel
01-31-2011, 08:21 AM
Wow, for this price I hope that Ben has not forgotten how to braze :) :)

jlwdm
01-31-2011, 08:22 AM
BBD

Would not work for you as Ben has final say on paint scheme - no BBD paint schemes allowed.

For the 10: Frames are available in the original 7-Eleven paint scheme with color variations available with the catch that Ben has the final say in selection...."I want to make sure that these bikes maintain their design integrity."

Jeff

gaxi
01-31-2011, 08:22 AM
Gulp.

BBD
My thoughts too...

Charles M
01-31-2011, 08:28 AM
They said it's OK to blab so....

Announcing two very special Limited Edition Serotta's

Ben Serotta

2011 marks the 25th year of collaborative tube engineering between Ben Serotta and Columbus of Italy. To mark this milestone, we're proud to announce the introduction of two limited edition bicycles that mark this enduring and innovative relationship.

Introducing the

Colorado VentiCinque 25 (CVC)

and the very exclusive

'Le Patron'

The 'VentiCinque' (CVC) establishes a new pinnacle in steel frame engineering building on our 25 years of proprietary design. The main frame is constructed using a new ultra high-end steel alloy that in fact is so new that Columbus hasn't named it yet! The balance of the frame will feature specially formed Columbus XCR and Serotta Composites carbon (fork and rear seat stay). How will it ride compared to the current Colorado models? According to company founder, Ben Serotta, "showcasing cutting edge steel technology, the CVC will ride like a CdA on steroids."

The Ltd. Ed. CVC, a true road bike to the core, will each be engraved in sequence, 1-25 and signed by Ben. Frames can be ordered in one of 16 standard configurations or custom. Other features include polished stainless chain stays, special edition stainless rear drop outs and a new Serotta C6P carbon seat post while the soon-to-be-unveiled finish features a clean yet bold aesthetic. There are no finish options. The cost for the CVC frameset (frame, fork, headset and seatpost) is $5,000. Deliveries will begin in late April 2011 and the last will be delivered by June 30, 2011.

The very, very limited 'Patron' is a tip of the hat to the early Colorado frames...and like the first Colorados, these will be crafted by Ben himself from Columbus Colorado tubing and Serotta's matching lugs. "This is my way", says Serotta, "to pay tribute to a 25 year relationship with Columbus. Twenty-five years is by any measure a significant amount of time to maintain a working relationship, in business or personally...with Columbus it's more than a business relationship, it feels like family and we share a passion and a bond of accomplishment. In the days when brazed, lugged frames were still state of the art, we built dozens of frames each week and over the years, I personally brazed many thousands. Always with great care and reverence, but with the pressure of meeting weekly demand, so I look forward to really taking my time and enjoying each step of building these ten.

Le Patron is also available in custom or standard geometry (non-sloping only) and features all steel construction except for the fork. Frames are available in the original 7-Eleven paint scheme with color variations available with the catch that Ben has the final say in selection...."I want to make sure that these bikes maintain their design integrity." Frames will be signed, dated and numbered 1-10. Ben expects to build about one frame every six weeks with deliveries beginning in May 2011. This is a limited edition series and there are no plans of re-introducing a lugged steel model to the Serotta line-up. The price of each frame is $10,000. Le Patron owners are also welcome as Ben's guests for a personal tour of the Serotta Saratoga Factory, dinner and ride in the pastoral Adirondack foothills countryside (hotel accommodation for two included).

Although Serotta built frames with standard Columbus tube sets as early as 1974 it wasn't until 1986 that a new high mark for innovation was set with the development of the Colorado Concept tube platform. The Colorado featured true performance enhancing shaping- tapers, ovals and bends, in ways not previously utilized.

In many ways, the 1986 Colorado was the 'missing link' between bicycle design before 1986 and modern bike design. Prior to that time top frames were all made from the same standard tube sets from a handful of suppliers, like Columbus. The Colorado was the first frame that merged comfort, performance and individual ride tuning. Its tapered tubes and curved chain stays were highly avant-garde at the time. Today the 'S' bend chain stay is featured on almost every road bike produced in the world and every major brand talks about the combined virtues of performance with comfort. According to Serotta, "few of these innovations would have been possible without the enthusiastic cooperation and commitment from Columbus."

The two companies will be featured at a seminar to be held at the upcoming North American Handbuilt Show (NAHBS) in Austin titled: "Serotta and Columbus, Steel Crazy after all these years....25 years of collaboration in the planet's most noble material."

Again both bicycles; the VentiCinque and LePatron are limited edition series. The preliminary response from the dealers has been extremely positive and we anticipate both models to sell-out quickly. There are no plans to expand production once they are sold. For more information on how you can reserve your own Limited Edition model, contact:

Limted Edition VentiCinque and Le Patron;

518-584-1221 x 213

or one of the following participating Serotta Flagship Dealers:

Signature Cycles

Cyclefit (UK)

Fit Werx

Cyclesport

Get A Grip

Extratour (Germany)

Bespoke

Oakley Cycles

Serotta Factory Fit Lab

cincytri
01-31-2011, 08:34 AM
I recently did a rough calculation of my bikes and realized how out of whack they are relative to my standard of living. Taking a $1.00 off coupon to Target for a pack of Bounty paper towels seems weird after just cleaning up a Moots road bike. Buying a frame and then building up is always expensive, but who starts that process out with a $10,000.00 frame? Hang some nice parts on it and you are looking at a $15,000.00 bike!!! This is all getting a bit too crazy for me and I am one who has the "sickness"...

William
01-31-2011, 08:36 AM
Gulp.

BBD

You must not look like this....

http://absolute-truths.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/fat-cat2.jpg

:D ;) :D

William

Smiley
01-31-2011, 08:42 AM
I am sure they will sell these to a few really crazy Serotta afficinado's who will collect these frames.

SPOKE where are U :)

northbend
01-31-2011, 08:56 AM
William, that is priceless!

fiamme red
01-31-2011, 09:26 AM
You must not look like this....

http://absolute-truths.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/fat-cat2.jpgIs that Ahneida Ride's cat? ;)

SPOKE
01-31-2011, 09:37 AM
I am sure they will sell these to a few really crazy Serotta afficinado's who will collect these frames.

;)......I am a real fan of Serotta bikes the company and the folks that make it all work every day.
I'm still thinking about pulling the trigger on Le Patron but i need more info on the details. On the surface it appears to be anothe CSI with a nice Motorola paint scheme. I already have 3 wonderful examples of CSI's in the collection. Just not sure I want another one......

SPOKE
01-31-2011, 09:57 AM

;)......I am a real fan of Serotta bikes the company and the folks that make it all work every day.
I'm still thinking about pulling the trigger on Le Patron but i need more info on the details. On the surface it appears to be anothe CSI with a nice Motorola paint scheme. I already have 3 wonderful examples of CSI's in the collection. Just not sure I want another one......

deechee
01-31-2011, 10:18 AM
I want to see some pics! (Even though I can't afford either model :P)

Gothard
01-31-2011, 10:27 AM
Makes my 20th anniversary all the more precious.
And I don't think the price is far out, considering they will be first class workmanship, and limited in numbers. a shame most will hang in showrooms and collections.
Do they get TDF lugs?

PaMtbRider
01-31-2011, 10:31 AM
With only ten being made, if you want one you better call your dealer today. I wouldn't be surprised if they are all spoken for by the end of the day.

sg8357
01-31-2011, 12:14 PM
>In many ways, the 1986 Colorado was the 'missing link' between bicycle >design before 1986 and modern bike design. Prior to that time top frames were >all made from the same standard tube sets from a handful of suppliers, like >Columbus. The Colorado was the first frame that merged comfort, performance >and individual ride tuning. Its tapered tubes and curved chain stays were >highly avant-garde at the time.

Maybe the Italians didn't know about tapered, over sized and curved tubes
but Reynolds & Accles & Pollock did, many British frame builders used "non standard" tube designs.

Granby did taper tubes in the 1930s, Bates was was oversize
and curvy in the 1940s, Gillot did many taper tube models in 40s & 50s

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/bikes/kh-granby-rb.html

mpetry
01-31-2011, 12:33 PM
Expensive but not outrageous atmo. And I like the idea that there are limits on what they will build, geometry, color scheme, etc.

Assuming that they have the Serotta trademarks - the big bottom bracket, S-bend stays, and the fancy lugs, heck, I'd own one. Considering that a top of the line carbon bike will top 8000 now, it's a reasonable price that ensure the people who get them, really want them!

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA

Charles M
01-31-2011, 12:42 PM
If I had the dollars sitting I would grab one of the Patron... There are a couple other bikes here in that range that are no place near the exclusivity.

In fact, now I'm pissed that I agreed to a set cycling budget with my wife... And that I broke it without getting out of January.

sg8357
01-31-2011, 12:55 PM
In fact, now I'm pissed that I agreed to a set cycling budget with my wife... And that I broke it without getting out of January.

You are a cycling professional right ? your office is the bike no ?
Easy peazy, write off the "Patron" as your company car/bike/office.
You may need to install a ti-carbon iPhone mount to get the full deduct.

Scott G.
Not a tax lawyer, but I do have several clients serving federal time
for over enthusiastic tax interpretation.

PoppaWheelie
01-31-2011, 01:44 PM
A $10k lugged frame with a carbon fork...?? Curious.

jlwdm
01-31-2011, 02:03 PM
Not really that curious is it. CSIs with carbon forks.

Jeff

Charles M
01-31-2011, 02:49 PM
Plenty of bikes with carb forks. You have to watch the profile a bit though as tubes that are too skinny and fork legs too fat look a little wonky.

Fixed
01-31-2011, 03:02 PM
am i getting it right csi lugged frame matched to a carbon fork ?
i don't get it but i am sure it is great
cheers
imho

Lionel
01-31-2011, 03:08 PM
As a real "classic" I would have matched it with the proper lugged fork. But what do I know ;)

PoppaWheelie
01-31-2011, 03:14 PM
Not really that curious is it. CSIs with carbon forks.

Jeff

For me...and maybe I'm in the minority...yes. Given this frame's implied marketing target I would expect the craft and design to extend to a matching steel fork. I know the Serotta forks can be spec'd in custom geometry, but at that point it isn't Ben's hand at work..it's some dude/gal in California laying up carbon off a spec sheet.

I dunno...it just seems like an obvious option to me (and for all I know maybe it is an option). To each his/her own and I'm sure they'll be cool either way.

Louis
01-31-2011, 03:16 PM
Sounds like a great idea. I hope they sell them to very happy customers who enjoy them in any way they like, either as great riding bikes or as jewels in their collection.

Personally, I think I'll pass.

zray67
01-31-2011, 06:54 PM
Wow, for this price I hope that Ben has not forgotten how to braze :) :)

+1 :rolleyes:

Shoeman
01-31-2011, 09:18 PM
I guess my old Mid 70's Club Series that Ben built just gained in value!!!

shiftyfixedgear
02-01-2011, 12:56 AM
For the Patron, will there be a special edition of Handlebra that is printed to look like $100 bills ? :)

Kind of interesting to think about how the Patron is nearly forty or fifty TIMES what a Serotta frame and fork from the early days would have cost.

Climb01742
02-01-2011, 07:06 AM
is this serotta embracing their inner dentist? :rolleyes:

PaulE
02-01-2011, 07:36 AM
2 years ago they tried to do a last run of 10 CSI's to be brazed by Ben but there weren't any takers.

Hopefully the economy has improved enough and the NAHBS/custom steel wave is still rising, so that these will sell.

I would rather see it with a steel fork and 1 inch steerer. The steel fork could have the Serotta "S" engraved on one side of the crown and "Colorado" on the other side. If it has a 1.125 inch steerer and an F3 fork with lawyers tabs on the dropouts, it will have less appeal to me.

Of course, I already have a CSI and I won't be in the market for one of these. I really do hope they all sell.

For the Handlebra, they should commission some with "Serotta" continuously embroidered as a stripe in a contrasting color down the center of the wrap. Now that would be cool.

oldpotatoe
02-01-2011, 07:40 AM
The mail says "these will be crafted by Ben himself from Columbus Colorado tubing and Serotta's matching lugs" and "This is a limited edition series and there are no plans of re-introducing a lugged steel model to the Serotta line-up. The price of each frame is $10,000"

Yikes, the 75th anniversary Schwinn Stainless was only $7500...

nahtnoj
02-01-2011, 08:06 AM
When was Ben last actively involved in frame production? Mid-80's?

Mikej
02-01-2011, 09:02 AM
So, no 22 cm head tubes on a 56cm? ha ha

David Kirk
02-01-2011, 10:04 AM
When was Ben last actively involved in frame production? Mid-80's?

I personally would not worry in the slightest about Ben's skills. On occasion we would have someone call in sick and Ben would come down into the shop and make things happen. It was awesome to watch. He is extremely skilled with a torch and one doesn't forget how to do this stuff - 15 minutes into it you are right back where you were. In fact it's like riding a bike!

Dave

rugbysecondrow
02-01-2011, 10:04 AM
These frames are great opportunities for the right folks. I am certain those who take advantage of them are going to thoroughly enjoy them.

jlwdm
02-01-2011, 10:12 AM
Yikes, the 75th anniversary Schwinn Stainless was only $7500...

I take it you mean the 70th Anniversary. Not very limited at 70 frames.

Jeff

Climb01742
02-01-2011, 10:38 AM
there is no doubt in my mind about the quality of these bikes. they will be wonderful. i do wonder, however, about whether the prices being charged do much to help serotta other than financially.

for me, serotta's mystique began when the bikes were under racers. not dentists.

it would be an interesting twist to do something like this: sell 5 of the patrons as planned for a big ticket price. but then give five to racers across america. could be young racers, just coming up, eating ramon noodles. could be older cat 2 or 3 'citizen' racers. just support grass roots racers with the best serotta has. could be a great opportunity to do it through serotta dealers, with dealers nominating racers they know and ben going to the five 'winning' shops to hand deliver the machines to the lucky racers.

free advice, worth what it costs. but serotta has a unique, two sided heritage, i think. their bikes under racers and under shmoes like us. :rolleyes: with these bikes, only paying homage to half of the legacy feels like a missed opportunity.

nahtnoj
02-01-2011, 11:00 AM
I personally would not worry in the slightest about Ben's skills. On occasion we would have someone call in sick and Ben would come down into the shop and make things happen. It was awesome to watch. He is extremely skilled with a torch and one doesn't forget how to do this stuff - 15 minutes into it you are right back where you were. In fact it's like riding a bike!

Dave

Thanks Dave. It was not my intention to question his ability, just wondering when he got sucked away from the "day-to-day".

mpetry
02-01-2011, 11:28 AM
it is too easy to take pot shots! These bikes will be really neat, I predict, and I cannot wait to see the first one. Again I think that some limits on what will be built (level top tube and paint) is a good thing to make sure that they really are commemorative editions that celebrate what has gone before.

Yeah, they are expensive, but along with the premium for the "commemorative" these will be absolutely the best they can do, with all the learnings of the past 40 - some years embodied in each frame. That's a special thing.

I don't know how they are going to do the lugs on a 1 1/8 head tube but we'll see. Woud be great to see some pics of a the first one as it takes place in the shop.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA

oldpotatoe
02-01-2011, 11:55 AM
As a real "classic" I would have matched it with the proper lugged fork. But what do I know ;)

Both 'should' be all steel. I think carbon stays/fork are a thing of marketing, does nothing to help the ride of a nicely made steel frame..and fork..but what do I know.

znfdl
02-01-2011, 12:38 PM
I am sure that they will be nice bikes, but definitely too much coin for this person.....

weiwentg
02-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Both 'should' be all steel. I think carbon stays/fork are a thing of marketing, does nothing to help the ride of a nicely made steel frame..and fork..but what do I know.

carbon fork would be OK for me, but plastic seat stays on a nice steel bike is a :no:

jlwdm
02-01-2011, 12:45 PM
I never get the dentist comments. Always seems lame. It is not like in this day and age they are all big money earners - or throwing away their money on bikes.

I am not a dentist.

Jeff

BengeBoy
02-01-2011, 01:23 PM
These frames are great opportunities for the right folks. I am certain those who take advantage of them are going to thoroughly enjoy them.

+1

too rich for my blood, but I think it's a great idea.

spartacus
02-01-2011, 01:33 PM
I thought bikes were made to be ridden. I doubt (m)any of these will turn a wheel, rather just be hidden away forever by anal collectors.

jlwdm
02-01-2011, 02:35 PM
Do any of you know many collectors? I know there are some out there but everybody I know rides there bikes.

Jeff

SPOKE
02-01-2011, 02:43 PM
I don't want it if I can't ride it.

David Kirk
02-01-2011, 03:14 PM
I don't want it if I can't ride it.

Once you buy it you can do with it what you like - I suggest you use it hard the way Ben would like.

Dave

rugbysecondrow
02-02-2011, 06:10 AM
Not sure if many people read the sticky thread, but a post from Stan said the following which adds clarity to the frame offerings.

Serotta is Celebrating 25 great years of partnership with Columbus of Italy with two Limited Edition Series bikes.

1. VentiCinque: This bike features a new steel alloy from Columbus in combination with stainless steel chain stays and our proven CDA format of carbon rear seat stay and front fork. We are in the process of testing and commercializing the very first one, so the final finish and graphics package is being finalized by Ben and team based on the final material. 25 will be built. Price for limited edition series frame and fork is $5000.00

2. Le Patron: For those looking for an all steel, special Columbus 25th Anniversary proprietary tubing, lugged bike, bult personally by Ben, this is it. No sloping top tube and 7-Eleven Tour de France graphics; white, red and green unless otherwise approved in collaboration with Ben. 10 will be built. Price for limited edition series frame and fork is $10,000.00 which includes a visit to the factory, tour and ride with Ben; including hotel night stay for two.

If you need more, please contact: Serotta Limited Edition Series VentiCinque and LePatron

rugbysecondrow
02-02-2011, 06:14 AM
It seems like the Patron is not only a bike, but a Ben Serotta experience as well. Seems very cool to me. It is also a classic full lugged frame and fork with a classic look and design. What an opportunity for the right folks. I hope somebody here gets ones and can tell us about the whole process afterwards.

Charles M
02-02-2011, 08:40 AM
for me, serotta's mystique began when the bikes were under racers. not dentists.

See now, that's the second time ya did that...

There's a Serotta here.

the speed / performance limiter on it is not set at "casual working professional" ;)

BumbleBeeDave
02-02-2011, 08:52 AM
It seems like the Patron is not only a bike, but a Ben Serotta experience as well.

Ben is a gracious host, completely knowledgeable, and when you consider the cost of lodging in Saratoga in warm weather and likely a good chunk of Ben's personal time for the tour and ride, then the true cost of this frame is way short of $10k.

BBD

93legendti
02-02-2011, 09:20 AM
Seems like a great idea. I have my ultimate steel bike. If I didn't, I'd consider the new Serotta.

Lifelover
02-02-2011, 09:36 AM
there is no doubt in my mind about the quality of these bikes. they will be wonderful. i do wonder, however, about whether the prices being charged do much to help serotta other than financially.

it would be an interesting twist to do something like this: sell 5 of the patrons as planned for a big ticket price. but then give five to racers across america. could be young racers, just coming up, eating ramon noodles. could be older cat 2 or 3 'citizen' racers. just support grass roots racers with the best serotta has. could be a great opportunity to do it through serotta dealers, with dealers nominating racers they know and ben going to the five 'winning' shops to hand deliver the machines to the lucky racers.

free advice, worth what it costs. but serotta has a unique, two sided heritage, i think. their bikes under racers and under shmoes like us. :rolleyes: with these bikes, only paying homage to half of the legacy feels like a missed opportunity.

Why don't you place on order for 5 of them and help the cause youself. Why would you expect someone (anyone) else to support a cause thats is important to you.

spartacus
02-02-2011, 10:31 AM
Let nine dentists buy one each at $10k each and raffle the other one to non-dentists.

Pete Serotta
02-02-2011, 10:47 AM
Over the past weeks Serotta was well represented at Signature Cyles in NY and last weekend in Parkridge NJ. A few hundred were there and were Serotta folks. There were quite a few professionals there but ZERO dentist.

Additionally a vast number of them are serious into cycling and also serious into some racing.

Serotta does do "special things" for the West Point Cycling group, as well as they have done various activities over the years for aspiring racers. Many of the folks I know were racers on Steel Serottas (Davis Phinney and Connie are two, as well as Ron K even sells Serottas now.

Many folks who were racers and worked into the Corp America are now riding again and getting back in shape.

THey are not "fat cats" and VERY few are a dentist. (I do know a dentist here in Raleigh who is a national ranked trii racer riding Cervelo.

What difference does it make what the profession is - if they enjoy cycling.

In my limited view this "LabeL" can be insulting to most SEROTTA RIDERS and even the ones that are dentist Additionally I am unable to even understand what the label means - thanks :crap: :crap:

PETE

Ahneida Ride
02-02-2011, 11:28 AM
Why don't you place on order for 5 of them and help the cause yourself. Why would you expect someone (anyone) else to support a cause that is important to you.

A great question ....
Cause that would mean frns outa their pocket. Easy answer.
Some one else should always foot the bill.

Serotta is supporting 2 factories, expensive CNC machinery,
just guess what the cost is to pay monthly for the gas, electric, insurance
water, mortgage, payroll and the list goes on and on. like toilet paper and
expendables for all the machinery, argon gas for the Tig welding,
snowplowing, computer equipment, .................

Try running a small bidness.... watch the frns flow in and then vanish.

BumbleBeeDave
02-02-2011, 11:32 AM
Why don't you place on order for 5 of them and help the cause youself. Why would you expect someone (anyone) else to support a cause thats is important to you.

. . . to understand comments like this. Why? . . . :confused:

BBD

BumbleBeeDave
02-02-2011, 11:38 AM
Let nine dentists buy one each at $10k each and raffle the other one to non-dentists.

These same kinds of comments were made when the Ottrott was introduced. And the Meivici. Have you priced a top end Pinarello lately? How about the top line Merckx in the new Bicycling. I think it's $14k . . . If you think Serotta is the only company selling a bike for this much, then open your eyes and look around.

They will sell all of these bikes and the people who buy them will do so for reasons of their own that give them that much value. If I had bought one of Ben's frames in 1980 and raced on it when I was young and now have moved along in a successful career and have the cash and want to get another one that reminds me of wonderful memories, then why not? . . .

I'm at a loss to understand all of his nit-picking. Cabin fever?

BBD

fiamme red
02-02-2011, 11:40 AM
Speaking of dentists, did Sheldon S. Kornpett ride a Serotta? ;)

"I have flames on my bike. I HAVE FLAMES ON MY BIKE!" :banana:

Nooch
02-02-2011, 11:45 AM
As I understand it, at some point some article came out about commuting by bike. In that article, there was a picture of man on a serotta. He was a dentist. He was commuting.

Via the viral nature of the internet, once BSNYC got his hands on that, all serotta owners became dentists. (feel free to perform work on all your friends!)

At least that's my understanding!

spacemen3
02-02-2011, 11:55 AM
Will these models have internal rear brake cable routing like my Colorado II? I'm a Serotta fan, but I find these prices a little insulting. I vaguely remember when I could afford the best Serotta had to offer.

SamIAm
02-02-2011, 11:56 AM
I'm curious about the dentist back story too. Clearly there was some spurious linkage to this profession in the past. Why dentists and not MD's, CEO's, Greedy Wall Street types etc.?

bicycletricycle
02-02-2011, 11:58 AM
I want pictures.

SPOKE
02-02-2011, 12:00 PM
I'm not a dentist, doctor or lawyer.......I haven't even slept in a Holiday Inn lately.
I'm just a guy of lower middle class means that digs really nice bikes.

rugbysecondrow
02-02-2011, 12:09 PM
Will these models have internal rear brake cable routing like my Colorado II? I'm a Serotta fan, but I find these prices a little insulting. I vaguely remember when I could afford the best Serotta had to offer.

There is no reason to be insulted because a company is offering two lines of limited production bike frames with varying degree of perks/extracuriculars that go along with them.

If these are special bikes, with special limited production, special hands touching and crafting each one outside of the OTHER production frames, why would you be insulted? This seems like an odd thing to be insulted about.

I understand the critisism about Serotta's entry level pricepoint for riders/racers, that makes sense and is valid to a certain degree. To mis-direct that critisicm towards a very special run of limited handmade frames seems unfair.

BumbleBeeDave
02-02-2011, 12:47 PM
. . . if the commemorative bike with this price had Colnago or DeRosa or Pinarello on the downtube?

I just don't get it. They are collector bikes. They are being presented as such. I can understand being a bit jealous of those who have the cash to afford one. I don't have the cash. But there's lots of bikes I don't have the cash for!

If you want a steel Serotta you can have a Colorado ready-custom complete with Ultegra for $4000. You can get the GS model with the same build for $4500. That's very competitive with prices you are going to get for steel--GREAT steel--from any number of custom builders who do the same thing.

If I want a crash-it-and-throw-it-away crit bike to race I'm not going to buy a Serotta. And there's nothing wrong with that. I don't see Serotta dominating that market and there's nothing wrong with that either. Given the market and economy of today they have to produce in they are targeting a demographic that makes perfect sense.

But on the other side of that, I gotta call BS on anybody who's saying that only rich fat cats can afford a Serotta. Yes, their lowest price point I find on the web site is $4k for complete bike. But I got news for you--it is NOT that hard to spend $4k these days on a bike from any number of manufacturers that don't have the history and breadth of expertise you find from Ben and Co. Go look at bike tests in any number of publications if you don't believe me . . .

If I were shopping for a nice steel bike to add to my collection they would be one of my top choices because of the reasons above and many others.

BBD

Climb01742
02-02-2011, 12:50 PM
A great question ....
Cause that would mean frns outa their pocket. Easy answer.
Some one else should always foot the bill.

Serotta is supporting 2 factories, expensive CNC machinery,
just guess what the cost is to pay monthly for the gas, electric, insurance
water, mortgage, payroll and the list goes on and on. like toilet paper and
expendables for all the machinery, argon gas for the Tig welding,
snowplowing, computer equipment, .................

Try running a small bidness.... watch the frns flow in and then vanish.

i have run a small business. the expense would come under "marketing". just like the expense of maintaining this site. just like their past sponsorship of the 7-11 and postal masters teams. supporting racing is certainly part of the brand's DNA.

54ny77
02-02-2011, 12:54 PM
hey, don't knock dentists. speaking of the profession, i could really use a recommendation for one in greenwich, ct. seriously. won't even bring up bikes, cause the last thing you want to do it piss off someone who's holding a drill in your face that's spinning tens of thousands of revolutions per minute. hmm, maybe that drill has ceramic bearings....:banana:

Ahneida Ride
02-02-2011, 01:12 PM
i have run a small business. the expense would come under "marketing". just like the expense of maintaining this site. just like their past sponsorship of the 7-11 and postal masters teams. supporting racing is certainly part of the brand's DNA.

Ah, but still an expense, that is un-realized profits.
Place this action into any QuickBook category of one's choosing.
It' still an expense
frns they cannot utilize.

Serotta does not have an unlimited expense account.
They cannot produce bikes by tying #'s into a computer spreadsheet.

Climb01742
02-02-2011, 01:21 PM
Ah, but still an expense, that is un-realized profits.
Place this action into any QuickBook category of one's choosing.
It' still an expense
frns they cannot utilize.

Serotta does not have an unlimited expense account.
They cannot produce bikes by tying #'s into a computer spreadsheet.

true, an expense (like this site) that leads to awareness, consideration, and one hopes, purchase intent. expense is only part of the equation. following your logic, this site should be shut down immediately. are you advocating that? if this site weren't live, where would people see your handlebar tape? :beer:

BengeBoy
02-02-2011, 01:26 PM
Over the past weeks Serotta was well represented at Signature Cyles in NY and last weekend in Parkridge NJ. A few hundred were there and were Serotta folks. There were quite a few professionals there but ZERO dentist.

Are you sure?

Away from the office, you really can't figure out they are dentists (until you look at the label on their bikes...). :)

richpur
02-02-2011, 02:41 PM
I think the folks at serotta have realized that our new economy is made up of a few people with too much money and a whole lot more who are being forced to scramble for economic survival. Very clever, the sale of one super steel bike replaces the sale of 2-4 "normal" bikes. Nothing like wretched excess to appeal to those with more dollars than sense. Should enhance the bottom line. :beer:

spartacus
02-02-2011, 02:48 PM
These same kinds of comments were made when the Ottrott was introduced. And the Meivici. Have you priced a top end Pinarello lately? How about the top line Merckx in the new Bicycling. I think it's $14k . . . If you think Serotta is the only company selling a bike for this much, then open your eyes and look around.

They will sell all of these bikes and the people who buy them will do so for reasons of their own that give them that much value. If I had bought one of Ben's frames in 1980 and raced on it when I was young and now have moved along in a successful career and have the cash and want to get another one that reminds me of wonderful memories, then why not? . . .

I'm at a loss to understand all of his nit-picking. Cabin fever?

BBD

It was in jest Mr. B. I was 'inflating' this dentist urban myth/ legend thing for fun as I have a friend who is a dentist and I know he wants a Serotta and I know he's been reading this board recently. Jee whizz, it's all so serious around here.

Pete Serotta
02-02-2011, 02:57 PM
If you are interested in one of the frames please feel free to send me a note on your questions. Pete@Serotta.com

Another option is to visit the Handmade show in Austin to see Serotta, or even me. (I am the old bald guy next to the frames)

Also the other models are still being made also... The HSG and Ottrott are some of my all time favorites. as is the CDA.

Thanks PETE.

Ahneida Ride
02-02-2011, 03:01 PM
t following your logic, this site should be shut down immediately. are you advocating that? if this site weren't live, where would people see your handlebar tape? :beer:

X is not funded, X is expense, therefore all expenses are not funded.

X does not have blue eyes, X is a cat, thus all cats do not have blue eyes.

where did I ever propose this logic?

Because a company elects not to fund one form of promotion does not
imply that they should reject other forms of promotion.

My logic is that each decision to give away product must be balanced with the expected benefit.

Is giving away 50K in 5 customs frames worth any potential upside?
How many cyclists will race on a 10K custom steel lugged frame?
That is a decision for Serotta to evaluate.

I am sure that on a semi-annual basis, Serotta evaluates this phorum from
cost vs benefit perspective. Obviously, right now, Serotta perceives the
phorum's benefits exceed the costs.

My point is that small companies like Serotta, Indy Fab, Seven, Belinky, Moots, have limited resources.

Serotta has "given away" numerous cycles in support of various entities.
What entities to support is not always obvious and I do not know or
claim to know the answers.