PDA

View Full Version : O.T. 'winter training' martial arts anyone?

Dekonick
01-30-2011, 06:51 PM
I think I found something fun for just about anyone! Stick fighting!

Ahem... William... any good sources for Escrima sticks? :hello:

Be wary Mr. Squirrel... be wary, wary quiet... (couldn't resist)

dogdriver
01-30-2011, 07:20 PM
Be sure to wear gloves!

Movie trivia test:

"Actually, I'm training to be a cage fighter"...

Chris
01-30-2011, 07:26 PM
Be sure to wear gloves!

Movie trivia test:

Shaahh...Lucky!

rugbysecondrow
01-30-2011, 07:30 PM
Be sure to wear gloves!

Movie trivia test:

Napoleon Dynamite, not to be confused J.J., DY-NO-MITE!!!!!!

dogdriver
01-30-2011, 07:53 PM
Napoleon Dynamite, not to be confused J.J., DY-NO-MITE!!!!!!

Nice.

David Kirk
01-30-2011, 07:59 PM
I studied 3 days a week for about 6 years and I've never been more fit than that. I'm working on myself again to get where I need to be to jump back in and not hurt myself.

go for it - you'll have a ball and have a lot to show for it.

Dave

Dlevy05
01-30-2011, 08:12 PM
I participate in Krav Maga. It, like other martial arts, is a great way to keep your body in "relative" shape (to itself) - if that makes any sense.

William
01-31-2011, 06:53 AM
Hey Deko,

Kali/Eskrima/Arnis! Absolutely it can be a great workout! FMA’s (Filipino martial Arts) is mostly recognized by outsiders by the sticks but it’s a complete MA covering open hand, ground fighting, edged, and impact weaponry. Like anything it’s all in how you approach it. Some folks just teach the stick aspect through flow drills, others get more in-depth and cover all aspects of the systems. It certainly is fun and can get you into great shape. Even the basic footwork and striking mechanic drills I have my students do at the beginning of every class will get everyone breathing hard and sweating like pigs before we get to the more technical aspects.

I have pretty much been training non-stop since around 1983. Started in American style kickboxing then got into Wing Chun. Around 1989 I was introduced to the FMA’s and it was love at first strike! Around 1994 I found Muay Thai & Muay Thai Boran/Kachuek and then later 90’s the Thai weapons system of Krabi-Krabong. If you think FMA’s are a good work out, try Muay Thai and or Krabi-Krabong…nothing like it!! I also picked up an Instructor certification in Jeet Kune Do along the way but I have put that on the back burner and don’t actively teach it due to the politics floating around JKD circles. Bottom line I mainly focus on the Thai and Filipino systems with an emphasis on close combat RBSD or “street” focus if you will.

Back to the point, I believe the reason I can still move the way I do for a big guy is that I’ve been doing combative arts for quite a few years. It keeps me limber, mobile, and reflexive.

Sticks? Franks Cane and Rush has been a good source for a long time but recently I haven’t been real happy with them. Nick at Kombat Sports is usually a good source for quality sticks. I’m checking out a couple of other bulk suppliers and will let you know who comes out on top.

William

Dekonick
01-31-2011, 10:16 AM
Cool! Thanks bro.

I just started, and after years of Japanese hard open hand styles, the flow of the FMA is a change. I like it. Lots of muscle memory to build... but I have already found the footwork, albeit different, works fine with FMA and feels natural.

I think for now I am just going to get a few pair of cheap rattan sticks. 26" correct?

Gotta watch those hands for certain! LAX gloves?

William
01-31-2011, 10:39 AM
Cool! Thanks bro.

I just started, and after years of Japanese hard open hand styles, the flow of the FMA is a change. I like it. Lots of muscle memory to build... but I have already found the footwork, albeit different, works fine with FMA and feels natural.

I think for now I am just going to get a few pair of cheap rattan sticks. 26" correct?

Gotta watch those hands for certain! LAX gloves?

LAX gloves are good, some prefer a little more padding like Hockey gloves. I like using light street hockey gloves or leather batting gloves if we are going full contact. I can hurt but it teaches you to move. If we are practicing hand targeting drills you’ll definitely want something heavier.

I like 28” – 30” in general but it’s good to mix it up to get used to being able to wield weapons of different sizes and weights. Krabi sticks can be up to 36” – 38” long. Learning to “flow” and move is one of the hallmarks of the FMA’s, what I like to call being in the groove.

William

forrestw
01-31-2011, 01:52 PM
I studied 3 days a week for about 6 years and I've never been more fit than that. I'm working on myself again to get where I need to be to jump back in and not hurt myself.

go for it - you'll have a ball and have a lot to show for it.

Dave

Likewise, my practice was T'ai Chi. Today I'm more fit in some ways, less in others.

The key point of T'ai Chi for me was that it built a base of strength and flexibility that cured a host of injury problems I'd had before. As I built up to more time in 'athletic' sports off of that foundation the injuries haven't come back.

The base of my T'ai Chi practice was that it should manifest not just in practice, but in how you move throughout life and it has stayed and helps keep me injury-free.

MadRocketSci
01-31-2011, 03:52 PM
Rex Kwan Do!

Bow to your sensei....