PDA

View Full Version : Are Serotta sticker's typically above the clear coat?

hookookadoo
01-30-2011, 10:27 AM
My guess is definitely not. Looking at a used 08 Serotta and the stickers are above the clear coat. Is that a red flag? Does that suggest its been repainted by an amateur as I would think most professional painters worth there salt would put the clear coat on over the sticker?

David Kirk
01-30-2011, 12:10 PM
It's a painted bike with decal on top of the clear? Unless something has changed I doubt that was painted by Serotta.

Unpainted Ti bikes of course have top mount decals otherwise I think they are all buried.

Dave

djg
01-30-2011, 12:33 PM
My guess is definitely not. Looking at a used 08 Serotta and the stickers are above the clear coat. Is that a red flag? Does that suggest its been repainted by an amateur as I would think most professional painters worth there salt would put the clear coat on over the sticker?

It's hard to say how worrisome this should be. Dave K would know much better than I, of course, but I would expect the factory job to have the decals buried under the clear.

With a respray, I think some professional painters have a budget-level versions of their basic paint jobs that involve professional prep and single-color paint, but don't include the multiple coats of clear and sanding, etc., required for that really nice smooth finish over the decal. I guess the question I'd have with a respray, deluxe or not, is: why does a two year-old frame needed to be repainted? There are sensible explanations, but it's a pretty big investment in a frame that's about to be resold, and that's what I'd wonder about.

fungusamungus33
01-30-2011, 04:07 PM
Nove frames had top mounted decals over clear carbon tubes.

steampunk
01-30-2011, 04:10 PM
my HSG-IT has the decals outside the clear coat.

flickwet
01-31-2011, 09:53 AM
My Ol' colarady has all of 'em under the clear cept the "tubing sticker", maybe its decals under, stickers over